any ideas on where to fish North Saturna

S

Seasport

Hi guys-
I'm planning an overnighter to Lyall Harbour (N. Saturna) this Thurs. / Fri. Then south to Friday Harbor / Roche for a burger and beer then home to Oak Bay.
Question-
where are good places to set the down riggers or do a little mooching between Portland Is. Pender Is. Mayne / Saturna.
Any insight would be appreciated and if we're lucky, pictures to follow.
Thanks

if it was me, I'd work that giant back eddy that forms off the point of Saturna, looking for those early fraser river springs ("columbians").

thanks for the tip Pops I'll look it up on the charts. If it were U would ya be thinking green glow needle / hootchie on one and a black silver spoon on the other? Any ideas on a possible spot for jiggin in the later afternoon. I'll check the tide tables for N. Saturna Thurs. 1600'ish
Thanks and c'ya around

Seasport.

As Poppa said that may be your best place to try. Over the past few years things have been spotty in the Saturna area, but we used to actually catch good size springs casting off of east point. That whole area from Tumble Island across the end Tumbo channel to east point and then following up along Saturna can produce if you hit it right. I would not wander too far up along Saturna but stay down in the area mentioned.

Good luck and I would love to know how you make out. I spend a fair bit of time on Saturna.

Pippen.

It will definatly be spotty - but if you hit it at just the right time you have a shot at getting into some real hogs for this time of year.

Its also just a really cool spot to fish, the back eddy that forms is HUGE and has always looked super fishy to me.

If it was me I'd spread my gear between 120-50 feet deep and run at least one line with Anchovy.

The pender wall can actually hold fish also and while I don't think they stay long, it is along the migration route of those early fish also.

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

It will definatly be spotty - but if you hit it at just the right time you have a shot at getting into some real hogs for this time of year.

Its also just a really cool spot to fish, the back eddy that forms is HUGE and has always looked super fishy to me.

As Poppa said...it is a cool place to fish. If the tide is on the "run" keep an eye out for freighter waves depending on the size of your boat. You can get tossed around pretty well in there. We have a 20' and have been bounced around well the odd time.

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it.
From what I've read here it sounds like the fishing is to the south and east of Saturna Is. We were planning on crossing over from N. Pender Is. to the north end of Saturna and putting out the hook in Lyall Harbour for Thurs. night. Might there be any general spots to go at the Mayne Is. N. Saturna end? The plan is to leave Fri. morning and head straight south to San Juan and Fri. Harbor - Roche Harbor for a burger and beer then home from there.

quote:Originally posted by Seasport

. Might there be any general spots to go at the Mayne Is. N. Saturna end? The plan is to leave Fri. morning and head straight south to San Juan and Fri. Harbor - Roche Harbor for a burger and beer then home from there.

Seasport....when you are talking "spots to go", are you talking about sight-seeing/piddling around on the Thursday evening or fishing again?

we'd like to do some fishing thurs. afternoon / evening round the north end of Saturna. Then piddle around San Juan Fri. afternoon.

Seasport...

I think you would likely want to drop your hook in Winter Cove as I am unsure if there is really anywhere on the Lyall side and you will be exposed to the ferry waves as well. Everyone drops in Winter Cove. It is a relatively quick run out of Winter Cove through Boat Pass (watch the tides as it is tight) along the North side of Saturna down to the area where Poppa and I were referring to........or the other way if you are fishing first ;).

Have a look at this map and it may make a bit more sense. Your best area that we referred to is down off east point. Work your way from around the point across towards Tumbo Island at the east end of the channel.

http://www.saturnatourism.com/map.html

Back