Another Islander MR3 problem

Busterbrown

I have a pair of MR3 that I have had for a few years now. Overall they have been very good , however I now have one of them that I cannot get the spool apart from the body. The clicker stopped working and when I tried to separate then spool it will not come apart. The working reel comes apart no problem. Anyone have any ideas what is preventing me from taking it apart ??

Dried and or salt contaminated grease on the spindle. It is why it is important to service these reels every year. Work in a good penetrating oil where the spool and spindle meet(under the drag spring washer). Do not force it! If you bend the spindle say goodbye to your reel. It will come apart eventually, and when it does, do a complete overhaul according to maintenance instructions, paying attention to the graphite powder on the cork. The powder really cuts down the line creep.

Thanks for the response but I think there is something else going on..the spool will move about 1/4 inch then feels like it is hitting something and stops. There is definitely something loose behind the spool

Back