Another cod-like collapse possible under DFO watch, says federal audit

Thanks for that post AA.

I don't know why that audit would surprise anyone. The tories basically gutted the dept during their time in office. The fishing industry was basically left to self monitor. Letting the fox watch the henhouse has a pretty predictable outcome. I actually think they understated how bad things are, when it comes to fisheries stock management. The Fraser River Sockeye saw the lowest return ever since records have been kept for over a hundred years. Many of our rivers stocks on the west coast are threatened by serious declines. If changes aren't made soon I can definitely see collapses of once mighty Salmon runs.

why doesn't any of this suprise me? pretty sad...

One of the "surprises" is how differently the observer programs are run/administered contrasting the 2 coasts (East and West of Canada).

In BC - we have Archipelago (predominantly and groundfish), and JR Thomas (gillnet and seine salmon). It's a dog's breakfast on the East Coast wrt competitive observing contractors. Prob. both good and bad examples to compare and contrast. I know most commercial fishermen consider Archipelago to be a monopoly. The groundfish fleet has gone w camera/computer/GPS combos on the water, and Archipelgo dockside.

Rest of the intercept fisheries (other commercial, sporties and FN) have spotty and sometimes non-existent - validation. I didn't see this level of discussion in the Auditors report, unfortunately. It was slightly "higher-level" recommendations. See: http://www.oag-bvg.gc.ca/internet/English/parl_cesd_201610_02_e_41672.html

Nothing about the Wild Salmon Policy, and the Cohen Commission recommendations, neither..

Back