Another Bear Attack

T

The Fish Assassin

From the T/C.

A logger working near a logging camp in Smith Inlet on the central coast was attacked by a bear this morning.

Early reports say the bear was a grizzly.

The man was flown to Port Hardy hospital by a logging company's helicopter and from there transferred by air ambulance to Royal Jubilee Hospital in Victoria.

The extent of his injuries are not known although it's believed he has injuries to his arm

Take only what you need.

the guy was really lucky, just heard on the news, the bear attacked and then took his backpack and then left.

Grizzlies can be scary

Was reading on a hunting forum that one has more chances of survival when attacked by a griz than if attacked by a blackie.
Bear that is [:eek:)]

Any truth to that I wonder.
cheers

JUST FISHEN'

When i used to river guide on the kakweiken river in the thompson off of knight inlet I was more worried about the black bears and not the grizz as them blacks that are near grizz seem more angry the hold there head straight but look at you with a very nervous face they wouldnt look at you directly but off to the side chomping on there mouth, where a grizz half the time would look at you and then just walk away, kinda glad I dont do that anymore!!!!!!

For whats its worth I think the guy is tough as nails to walk to safety thats a tough old man!!!!hope he is doing ok

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

He speaks of the encounter..todays T/C.

It was Walter Thomas's lunch, not his life, that a grizzly bear was likely after when it attacked him in a dense forest on the Central Coast on Wednesday, a conservation officer said yesterday.

Port Alberni resident Thomas, 58, remains in Royal Jubilee Hospital where yesterday he underwent a second surgery to repair his injured right arm. A dramatic helicopter rescue plucked Thomas from thick brush near Smith Inlet, on the mainland north of Port Hardy, after he suffered severe injuries to the arm in the attack.

He is in stable condition but is in pain, said Shannon Marshall, spokeswoman for the Vancouver Island Health Authority.

Thomas's family is with him at the hospital, but is declining media interviews and is requesting privacy.

Thomas was able yesterday to describe his ordeal in greater detail to Rod Olsen, operations manager for the Thompson-Cariboo conservation service.

Olsen said Thomas had been working in the woods at Wyclese Lagoon, assisting a helicopter to lift shake blocks out of an old clearcut that had grown over with thick brush.

At 11:30 a.m., the grizzly appeared beside Thomas and attacked him, tearing off his backpack.

The company Thomas worked for knew grizzlies frequented the bush there, but believed they had started their hibernation and were no longer a threat, said Olsen.

It now appears the grizzly attacked Thomas partly because it wanted the lunch in the pack he wore on his back. Thomas escaped major injuries to his legs because he was wearing faller's pants, which are strengthened with Kevlar.

The bear moved up Thomas's body. He suffered defensive wounds to his right arm, which got the worst of the attack.

Thomas was able to fend off the animal and call the helicopter pilot, Brent Fedirchuk of Port Alberni, for assistance.

Thomas's hands were badly mauled, so another logger tied him onto a line hanging below the helicopter. Fedirchuk then lifted Thomas out of the bush, said Sharon Fedirchuk, the pilot's mother, in an e-mail.

Fedirchuk then returned to remove the other logger by the same method as the bear thrashed around in the nearby bushes.

Sharon Fedirchuk credits her son and the other logger for rescuing Thomas from the scene.

A team of conservation officers yesterday flew by helicopter to the site of the mauling and came upon the most difficult conditions that any of them have ever experienced, said Olsen.

"Even at the points where they were on the ground and the helicopter was hovering over them, the pilot couldn't see the four officers," Olsen said.

The forestry workers in the area commonly use high-powered flashlights even in daytime to identify their location to the helicopter. It's impossible to land a helicopter there, he said, because of the growth.

"Even in the more open areas, where there are spruce and hemlock, it looks like 4:30 p.m. or dusk when it's actually noon," said Olsen.

Spotting bears approaching would be nearly impossible, he said. The conservation officers saw no sign of either man's backpacks, which had been carrying food.

After hearing about the conditions, Olsen said it's remarkable that Thomas got out alive.

The forestry company will not return to work in the area, Olsen said.

He suggests that the grizzly was surprised to see Thomas, but then focused on getting the food from the pack. Thomas will be interviewed again once he has recovered.

Olsen calls the attack "very, very unique," since the presence of the helicopter could have been expected to have scared away the grizzly
------------------------------------------------------------------

Yogi the Bear? looking for a picanic basket!

Take only what you need.

quote:When i used to river guide on the kakweiken river in the thompson off of knight inlet

Is there anywhere Wolf has not Guided?

Howdy,

Bear attacks are always big news. For what it's worth (that's a song by the way) I wouldn't be so quick to categorize one type of bear-attack as being preferable to the other (black vs griz).

Black bear attacks tend to be predatory in nature (ie. you are on the menu); whereas, grizzly bear attacks (although infrequently are predatorial) are generally defensive-aggressive, ie. if a sow with cubs or one defending a carcass is suddenly surprised... look-out! Statistically (if memory serves) in this scenario you have a 50/50 chance the griz will make physical-contact with you and if that happens, you will have something like an 85% chance you will be either dead or require an extended hospital visit.

After being treed by two juvinile grizzlies in the East Kootenay's in 95' I began to read all I could (Herrero/Shelton/Mack/McClellan et.al) about bear-human conflict. After learning what I did, I now take my bear-spray (12-gauge Ithica/1-oz.slugs) on both hunting & camping trips.

Because you just never know.

Back