Angler mistakes rod holder for boat’s fuel tank

I can't remember the year, but someone did that at the steveston fuel dock on a big cabin cruiser, I want to say 6 or 7 years ago. They headed up river and ran out of gas. One guy fell overboard when trying to anchor and he died. Other guy got rescued. If my memory is correct.

I stopped a woman at the fuel dock in Bamfield who was shooting fresh water into their sailboat diesel tank. Unfortunately I was busy filling my own boat and didn’t notice what she was doing until several gallons had gone in!

Same thing with the fuel happened in Port Renfrew at the old marina years ago. It was an inboard and Bud saw what was happening before the guy could start the engine. he took the keys away and towed the guy to the Indian ramp and tied him to a piling. I heard he got the trailer and pulled the boat on the trailer manually and pulled the plug and donated 30 gallons to the river.

Around 1970 or so, when I was the Warehouseman at the Gold River Logging Division, I heard a vehicle pull up to the fuel pumps, just outside my door a bit.
I glanced up to see it was Bill Ford, the Manager at the time, and he had his new company vehicle parked and was pumping fuel into it.

The problem was it was a gas using vehicle and he was pumping diesel into it.
I immediately jumped up and quickly yelled at him as I went out to stop him.

He WAS a trifle embarrassed by the whole thing and the crew towed his machine into the shop and began the pumping out and cleaning up process.

Happens in the best of families. LOL

Take care.

35+ years ago a local guy up in Tofino takes his BRAND NEW boat to the fuel dock to fill up the tanks. He doesn’t trust the fuel dock attendant so he fills up his own tanks.
Pumps fuel into the freshwater tank.
Nothing can get the stink/taste out of the water tank. The only fix was to pull up the floor and replace the water tank.
Stosh

I saw this exact thing at French Creek Marina, 2 years ago. Funny thing was…he left his wife in the boat.. lol. While he co-ordinated an environmental company to pump his bilge, on a long weekend. Big time nightmare.

Back