anchor fishing plugs in the vedder mouth

View attachment 101946View attachment 101945
If I recall there’s a boundary, where the red line is. The yellow line is the deeper spots along the river, from Barrowtown down. These google images are from high tide. Barrowtown is a better low tide option. I can’t remember how many hours it takes for the tide to get to the mouth of the Vedder. I seem to remember 5 hours? Check the New Westminster tide chart and also the bc river level site for the Fraser at Mission. It will show the tidal cycles, at the time you want to go. Low to high is the best. I’ve been near the red boundary line, anchored, and noticed the tide changing, and could see the fresh fish shooting up on the incoming tide. I pretty much alway spin cast spinners.
nice !!
i will most likely launch from barrowtown just because its easier access. i dont really have any real reason to be in the fraser with my boat anyways. but i am curious how shallow the vedder mouth gets when coming in from the fraser? is it real shallow when entering the river?

Try to fish it mid week. If you can. I’d anchor from the train bridge down. This way no bank fisherman to compete with. I’ve launched at Barrowtown, in the dark and motored down to anchor. It’s what you need to do to get the good spots. By daylight it’s one boat anchored just down from the next.

There’s enough space for everyone, but parking at Barrowtown can get difficult. Watch out for guys in jet boats running you down at 20 knots if you’re moving through the canal slowly, trying not to destroy your prop
im a 4am waiting at the boat launch kinda guy haha. i would probably be one of the first to arrive. man am i excited. i havent caught anything over 4 pound since i moved away from the coast lol.

nice !!
i will most likely launch from barrowtown just because its easier access. i dont really have any real reason to be in the fraser with my boat anyways. but i am curious how shallow the vedder mouth gets when coming in from the fraser? is it real shallow when entering the river?
It really depends on tides. But I’ve anchored in 2-3 feet of water at the mouth at really low tides. I had a Jon boat with an outboard jet.

It really depends on tides. But I’ve anchored in 2-3 feet of water at the mouth at really low tides. I had a Jon boat with an outboard jet.
yeah thats what scares me is the tides. i wouldnt want to get stuck somewhere for hours. i will just stick to barrowtown launch and kilby launch and avoid the fraser entirely until i get more experience on the rivers.

I used to camp at Kilby, for most of the summer, for a bunch of years. It’s definitely more peaceful and maybe a better choice for a prop. Pretty safe up until the Hwy 7 bridge. Anchoring near the Fraser and Harrison confluence is a good bet.

I used to camp at Kilby, for most of the summer, for a bunch of years. It’s definitely more peaceful and maybe a better choice for a prop. Pretty safe up until the Hwy 7 bridge. Anchoring near the Fraser and Harrison confluence is a good bet.
yeah it would be a safe bet. i know the fishing is more limited though. no retention for chinook or chum. only hatch cohos. i just prefer the vedder for oppurtunity since they have a stronger hatch coho run and oppurutity all through summer and fall for chinook aswell. but either or, a day out is still a good day.

im a 4am waiting at the boat launch kinda guy haha. i would probably be one of the first to arrive. man am i excited. i havent caught anything over 4 pound since i moved away from the coast lol.
Definitely go at near low tide, to do a recon mission. Then you’ll have a better idea of the shallow areas, for the dawn patrol.

also, what launch is best for fall fishing? i run a outboard prop. and my boat is 17 foot. modified V. i am wondering if the water levels at barrowtown are to shallow in fall?

my 2 options i guess would be barrowtown launch or dewdney. wondering what launch is best for low water conditions in the fall.
The last two years with drought neither of those launches have been good options. i have 14 ft with 20hp outboard prop and have had to get out and pull my boat up. considering getting a jet boat just to be able to fish it. in previous years it wasnt as big a problem and could get out from barrowtown.

The last two years with drought neither of those launches have been good options. i have 14 ft with 20hp outboard prop and have had to get out and pull my boat up. considering getting a jet boat just to be able to fish it. in previous years it wasnt as big a problem and could get out from barrowtown.
i was thinking this aswell, worst case i will just trim my motor up, hop out in the waders and pull my boat to the deeper flows.

yeah it would be a safe bet. i know the fishing is more limited though. no retention for chinook or chum. only hatch cohos. i just prefer the vedder for oppurtunity since they have a stronger hatch coho run and oppurutity all through summer and fall for chinook aswell. but either or, a day out is still a good day.
Odd years, the pink run is a lot of fun. I don’t know about retention these days? I used to fish this area when you could fish the Fraser for salmon, in summer and fall.

Odd years, the pink run is a lot of fun. I don’t know about retention these days? I used to fish this area when you could fish the Fraser for salmon, in summer and fall.

View attachment 101949
We had a lot of fun, back when it was open. Sockeye galore!!! One year 29 million came back
looks like an awesome time!

man oh man. i havent fished those rivers since i was as young as the kids in that photo. some of my best memories of fishing are on the fraser river and vedder river as a young kid and we would nail fish all morning long. i remember numerous times we left with full limits. the good days.

Heres a shot from fall 2022. most of the water in front of me here is 2 inches deep. that green boat is trying to go up the channel that is about 1ft deep. also notice, even as a jet boat he has it trimmed up. this is one of the times i had to get out and pull the boat. This shot also gives you a good idea of how much wood is in the water, which can make it dangerous when the water level is higher.
1705533377699.png

Heres a shot from fall 2022. most of the water in front of me here is 2 inches deep. that green boat is trying to go up the channel that is about 1ft deep. also notice, even as a jet boat he has it trimmed up. this is one of the times i had to get out and pull the boat. This shot also gives you a good idea of how much wood is in the water, which can make it dangerous when the water level is higher.
View attachment 101950
crap Lol. ill make sure to bring a extra prop with me haha.

View attachment 101950
this is the barrowtown section to the vedder? or where is this?

If I could recommend a guide, to show you the ropes again, on either these systems, it would be Bent Rods. Rod knows his stuff and makes tackle that’s meant for these rivers.

Back