Analysis suggests Harper government ‘all but abandoned’ protection of fish habitat

their seems to be a pattern of "no response" from the conservatives. the voters will do their best to give them a response at the polls though. don't think it'll be too good for them.

I have to ask...in what sense is this the back story?

This is commentary on why all the parties are avoiding the subject during the campaign. But that's no secret: gun owners know that the CPC are the only party that isn't interested in increasing gun control, and the other two parties are keeping their mouths shut in hopes of not reminding rural voters where they stand on the subject.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

I don't think any party wants to talk about it including the CPC. Too many things that have happened since getting rid of the registry that don't look to good on the CPC. I think the CPC just blew the dog whistle and is letting the gun lobby do the rest. Except that the gun lobby got thrown under the bus so they aren't falling for it. Can't speak for individual owners but I think most don't buy the CPC are the only ones that are there to protect us from "the government is coming to take our guns away".

Shouldn't be fishing with a gun anyway!

What calibre do you use for salmon? Lol

https://www.watershed-watch.org/2015/09/the-federal-election-and-wild-salmon/

The Federal Election and Wild Salmon

This entry was posted in Uncategorized.. Posted by Trish Hall on September 17, 2015

Recently, we approached a Member of Parliament known to cover salmon issues from each of the major federal parties running candidates in B.C., in order to get an idea of their platforms ahead of the election. We also wanted to make them aware of your collective voices by presenting them with our 2500-signature petition to implement the recommendations of the $37 millon Cohen Inquiry and over 500 written comments in response to the new salmon farms proposed for Clio Channel.

We met with:
•Fin Donnelly, NDP, Port Moody-Coquitlam;
•Joyce Murray’s constituency assistant (Joyce was unable to attend at the last-minute), Liberal, Vancouver Quadra; and
•Elizabeth May, Green, Saanich-Gulf Islands.
•Unfortunately, after repeated meeting requests via email and phone, we did not get a response from John Duncan, Conservative, Vancouver Island North.

Our approach was simple, we asked them all a few questions. Here’s a summary of what each said:

What’s your party’s platform with regard to wild salmon for the upcoming election?

Fin Donnelly, NDP
•Support community-based co-op management of harvest allocation for wild salmon by watershed
•First Nations need to be key players

Joyce Murray Office, Liberal
•Conduct a review of Fisheries Act changes via C-38 and restore lost protections, and incorporate more modern safeguards
•First Nations will be included in the reshaping of federal environmental laws and policies
•Will increase protected marine and coastal areas from 1.3 percent to 5 percent by 2017, and 10 percent by 2020

Elizabeth May, Green
•Ensuring DFO does its job in protecting wild fish
•Focus on climate change and ocean acidification
•Bring back the old Fisheries Act (pre C-38)
•More funding for local restoration groups and streamkeepers

John Duncan, Conservative
•No response

With regard to Cohen Commission Recommendations?

Fin Donnelly, NDP; Joyce Murray, Liberal; Elizabeth May, Green
•Implement them

•No response

Do you support the proposed open net farming expansion?

Fin Donnelly, NDP
•No

•They don’t have a specific platform on this at this point

Elizabeth May, Green
•No

•No response

What would your government do about the proposed open-net farming expansion?

Fin Donnelly, NDP
•Transition the open-net salmon farming industry to closed containment. Tom Mulcair has agreed to this, though the timeline for a transition is still undecided. The transition would initially occur along wild salmon routes [note: nearly all areas in B.C. are “wild salmon routes”] and eventually across all salmon farming areas (i.e., West Coast of Vancouver Island)

•No specific party platform on this subject at this point

Elizabeth May, Green
•Transition the open-net industry to closed containment
•Remove DFO’s mandate to promote the salmon farming industry

•No response

I think that about sums it up as far as policies if we vote conservative. More fish farms and no action on wild fish policies.

Yup, more same old, same old. Don't have to be too smart to know that voting in the same Con PM and MP's will result in just more status quo.

So.... if people don't like what is happening with our fisheries right now, its pretty simple then - don't vote for the Cons. They have proven for the last 8 years that they don't care about the rec sector and it is unlikely that they will start caring anytime soon.

Not saying that the other parties are going to make everything right in this area, but I think it is reasonable to say that there would be more opportunity for improvement with the other parties if we give them a chance and press them for positive change. My 2 bits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be voting Green again...I have no illusions about them ever coming to power in my lifetime and really don't want them to. I want a message sent to whatever party forms government that we here in BC have way more concern for our environment than they presently think and its not ALL about the economy first.

I'll admit it; I voted for Harper last time, mainly for selfish reasons (anti long gun registration).......sham on me! I regret it now and have revised my position. I would gladly register my long guns if Northern Gateway and open net fish farming were 'put to bed' forever. Justin Trudeau would do that and Mulcair would probably go overboard but Harper won't even entertain killing Northern Gateway and his minister of fisheries & oceans is 'in bed' with the fish farmers. Therefore, for me this election is really simple; look at the polls, decide who has the best chance of beating the conservative and vote for that candidate. The way I look at it, a dud government may only be here for 4 years, a spill of toxic diluted bitumen will haunt our coastline for centuries.

I'll be voting Green again...I have no illusions about them ever coming to power in my lifetime and really don't want them to. I want a message sent to whatever party forms government that we here in BC have way more concern for our environment than they presently think and its not ALL about the economy first.

That's awesome,, I hope a lot of you do vote green I love them they are the best friend of the Conservatives.. Fragmenting and splitting the left vote,, its great..

Thx guys.

But seriously though,, you can't expect anyone to take a person serious if they vote for such a party can you,, I mean come on lol.. Talk about playing into a stereo type..

twogone, although I have never voted for him, you are clearly not alone in voting for Harper in recent elections for seemingly 'selfish' reason. Good on you for taking that first step of admitting you have a problem ;) . In all seriousness, I really do think the Cons have done a remarkable job of getting votes from a large % of hard-working Canadians who are typically the ones who suffer the most from the conservative policies of continually moving wealth up to a smaller and smaller % of the population. Income (and more importantly wealth) inequality in Canada, as in the US, is at/near an all time high. At the risk of echoing a Bernie Sanders speech, the middle class are working longer hours than ever before and yet have less time to spend with family/friends, less time to think about these important issues, and are in a much worse place financially than at almost any other time in the past 100 yrs (great depression excluded). These are the facts. No party is denying this... they simply have different explanations for why it has happened. The trick that has worked so well, IMO, to get people to vote against their overall best interests (financial, happiness, health, etc) is that each election the Cons take a few hot issue items (gun registry, religion-related, immigration, etc) and sprinkle a few small promises that quell the fears they have themselves caused people to have about these hot issues. They are essentially stealing your wallet out of your back pocket and then flipping you a $5 bill as they walk away and you're happy b/c you don't realize what they've done.

On the fish protection issue, it's the exact same game. $100's of millions of dollars of cuts to DFO, Environment Canada and other departments that are supposed to be looking out for the resource we all care about in BC (fish). These cuts are so massive that even IF another gov't comes into power that does care about fish & fish habitat it will take years/decades to restore what the Harper gov't has destroyed. Combine these cuts with the shredding of our most important environmental protection laws (fisheries act, navigable waters act, etc) and it's not a good time to be a fish in BC. So, after all of these HUGE cuts in funding and changes in legislation, what do the Cons do? Well, true to form, they make a few flashy announcements about funding a few specific fish & fish habitat groups/projects and time it around the election and make sure it's picked up in the media and hyped up big time. The result, many people who don't have the time or energy to delve into the details say to themselves "well, I recall him doing some bad stuff earlier but now he's doing some good stuff now so I guess it's a wash. I might as well stick with the status quo".

I can say first hand and from the many, many people who I know who deal with fish & fish habitat for their livelihood (in gov't, research, ngo's, streamkeepers) that it is NOT a wash. It's a complete sham and this current Harper gov't has been, without a doubt, the worst in Canada's history when it comes to environmental issues, including fish & their habitats. When ex-conservative Ministers' of DFO (Siddon, Fraser) are calling you out you know you've crossed the line.

twogone, good on you for seeing the bigger picture here and for sacrificing something that is important to you (gun registry) for something that is important to all of BC/Canada IMO. If you want to vote out Harper with the other 65-70% of progressives there are a few websites like http://www.votetogether.ca/ that will help allow that to happen. I'm fearful that the left will once again split the vote between NDP, Liberal and Green but I hope I'm proved wrong.

That's awesome,, I hope a lot of you do vote green I love them they are the best friend of the Conservatives.. Fragmenting and splitting the left vote,, its great..

Thx guys.

But seriously though,, you can't expect anyone to take a person serious if they vote for such a party can you,, I mean come on lol.. Talk about playing into a stereo type..

But seriously though, you don't think Harper and the Con party and the people that fervently vote for them are not stereotypes themselves?

You can't expect anyone to take a person serious if they vote Con and expect nothing more than same, old same old (i.e. jeopardize Canada's fisheries and protection of our natural environment for the sake of resource development from mostly foreign owned multi-national corporations). I mean c'mon... it's just plain old common sense here - lol

Read Tincan's post above and many others like it - time to understand the damage the Harper Govt. has done and hold them accountable. Time to stop and reverse the damage so we still have fish left and relatively productive waters to pass on to our kids.

Okay then here it is from the party themselves and not just a local candidate. The Liberals actually have a good website and clearly state their stance on many topics and was surprised to find the one on the very top of their webpage was "protecting our oceans" click on it and they state their stance on many issues with the ocean, reinstating scientific research, fisheries many with specific actions. I would have liked to see them come out and state they'd follow Cohen's recommendations and have in fact responded to them regarding that fact. Here's the link:

http://www.liberal.ca/realchange/trudeau-announces-plan-to-protect-canadas-oceans/

Actually he he did not as the only people who will effect the questions asked are the leaders of each party.
They control the purse strings and the direction.

Also it is to soon to know who to vote for as lots can happen before the vote, good and bad.

As I said at this time fish are not on the minds of the voters and therefore not on leaders minds.

If you are a hunter and gun registration is a concern, both the Liberals and NDP have stated they will bring it back.

Lets see what the ABC has to offer.

good riddance is an understatement...

Back