Aluminum skiff recommendations

Birdbrain

Hi folks. I'm looking for opinions on welded aluminum fishin' skiffs, 14-16 feet, probably 16', and preferably built in B.C. Van. Isl. even better. Buy local, eh? Probably just a plain Jane model, but maybe a center console.

What's your experience with different brands' quality and service? Are they all good these days?

Once I narrow down brands to look for, or avoid, then I can move to the shopping stage.

Thanks in advance!

I love the silver streak 16 challenger. You should give Chris at inlet marine a call they had a wicked one there

I just bought one last week I bought a bigger one but I love the open tillers

I know of 3 Island builders of small aluminum boats: Silver Streak, Lifetimer, and Wolf. Would anyone care to rate these 3, or are they all good?
And are there any more local builders that I'm missing?
Thanks in advance, BB

For me it would be
Silver streak
Wolf
Lifetimer

I prefer both the silverstreak and the wolf much more then the lifetimer. I do really like the wolf boats the are harder to find if your looking used.

I have a 15RC SilverStreak model I bought about 6 years ago. It's a tiller model. Just bought the boat and trailer from them and rigged it myself. The only option I opted for was the flat floor in the section from the the front bench to the bow. Ended up putting a 25hp Yamaha on it and it's a good package for what I wanted it for. Sadly I haven't used it much but hope to soon. I'd be embarrassed to say the hours I have on it. And no...it's not for sale....lol. Good luck deciding....it is fun to have one built even a small boat.

Thanks, JAC. I haven't seen a Wolf boat, but since you rate them ahead of Lifetimer, I'll check them out.
ReelSlim, I'll watch the buy and sell section to see if/when you change your mind! Is it a deep-V? I can't find the RC model on Silver Streak's site.

Thanks, JAC. I haven't seen a Wolf boat, but since you rate them ahead of Lifetimer, I'll check them out.
ReelSlim, I'll watch the buy and sell section to see if/when you change your mind! Is it a deep-V? I can't find the RC model on Silver Streak's site.
The RC was the "Reverse Chine" model. It was slightly wider and deeper than the stock 15 if memory serves me. I know they updated their website this year so it might not be one they are building I'll have a look too. It's a big feeling 15' boat when your in it. Northwest Aluminum craft made a nice 15' tiller too but I'm not sure if he still does them since he is busy building bigger boats. If you see a used one definitely worth looking at IMO. Lots of those fish the area I do in the summer. Don't looked too often for mine being sold....wife says NO! Pass it on to the boy when he's older she says...lol. Now my fibreglass boat you will definitely see fairly soon in the buy and sell. I just had a quick look at the website and they are calling what I have the DV....

Last edited:
Thanks, ReelSlim. Maybe their DV (deep vee) model has replaced the RC. Okay, I won't bug you anymore about selling! Wanting to pass it on to your son is a great endorsement, though.

Trophywife, thanks alot for your info.

I probably should have said at the beginning what my needs are, to help folks steer me to the best boat for me. It'll be mainly used to fish the Nanaimo to Courtenay section of ECVI. It might also trailer it up island to fish, explore, and beachcomb. Generally just myself, occasionally one other angler. Mix of trolling, jigging, and fly casting. I have experience with the limitations of a 12' rivetted cartopper, hence my need for something with more room, more seaworthy, and more durable to beach. I'm leaning toward a 16', rather than a 14'.

I would look at the silver streak 16 challenger it has a 6' bottom makes a huge difference. I would also have a beaching plate or doubler on the bow to protect when beaching. The 16' challenger has a 16-18 degree deadrise it will ride awesome one want 60hp if I was going to buy one. Chris had a awesome one but they may if sold it

Back