Aluminum boats on bunk trailers

Charter Tofino

I've heard storing boats on bunk trailers for long periods of time can cause issues as they trap water against the hull. Can anyone comment on this?

Uhmw is what you want on the bunks. Carpet traps moisture and salt against the hull leading to corrosion.

Kelly

John can give you the full info on aluminum boats and trailer bunks. Give him a shout.

I've heard storing boats on bunk trailers for long periods of time can cause issues as they trap water against the hull. Can anyone comment on this?

If you have an aluminum boat just put the plastic covers on your bunks - no salt or moisture trapped against the hull and they are more durable and slippery then carpet. Done this for 10+ years and no problem.

carpetted bunks, wood bunks, treated wood bunks are all not recommended for an aluminum boat. uhmw as mentioned earlier over wood or I beam bunks are recommended.

Yeah Industrial plastics or another plastics place in Langley is way cheaper-also cheaper if you get black-no difference in product just colour

I did not have problems with my boat on carpeted bunks for over 10 years. But do not use pressure treated. The copper is brutal on aluminum. My present trailer is aluminum and the bunks are UHMW on channel. Works great. Do not detach the chain and strap until at the waters edge as the bunks are very slippery.

Highliner plastic covers on my bunks. Don't need to do the whole bunk, as long as the hull is off the carpet, you're fine. Might be cheaper than UHMW.

redwood plastics in langley will cut you strips. I'm in the process of doing it also and they quoted me 82 dollars for a 2 4"X10 foot pieces. doesnt sound like its a bad price.

I'm sure this is irrelevant if your Alu boat is epoxied and anti-fowl coated on the bottom? This is something to worry about if your boat is bare aluminum on the hull only... Well I hope I am right! :eek:

redwood plastics in langley will cut you strips. I'm in the process of doing it also and they quoted me 82 dollars for a 2 4"X10 foot pieces. doesnt sound like its a bad price.
Couldn't think of the name of the plastics place in Langley-but it was redwood-much cheaper than the quote from Industrial plastics.

Search CL for "uhmw planks Coquitlam". There's enough for probably 2 trailers, but price looks good + negotiable. (i'm not connected to seller)

i have the EZLoader 'slick pad' on my bunks. zero issues since 2006. plus, bump off and drive on makes all of this super easy. roller bunks are for the birds once you try this system out.

Too true. On a low tide I can still shove my 18' bowrider in, solo. Tilt bunks with plastic.

Thanks for sharing all the info. I'm in the process of ordering the strips from redwood and I need to know if you ended up drilling screw holes yourself or asked them to do some bred pockets in the strips. Not sure what's the safest method for mounting the strips on top of the carpet. I really don't want the screw heads to get close to the boat.

Back