Alternator for Merc Kicker

wet spot

I have a 2009 9.9 Merc 4-stroke kicker with about 40 Hours on it so it is just broken in...its a plain tiller model with manual start and no alternator to power external electrics ...didn't need alternator at the time I bought it however I am now running more electrics and electric downriggers. Apparently its a relatively simply process to add an alternator/electric output to this motor and it would be more cost effective than buying a new motor...can anybody describe the process or parts required and/or recommend someone in the Lower Mainland area that can make the modifications?

Terry,
17' Calais, 115 Zuke

simple solution sell it buy a yammy!!!! LOL LOL
all kidding aside how much is a alterntor for it normally and do you have to take of the flywheel to change it over??? may be cheaper in the long run to trade it in or sell it and get one with all the bells and whistles IMO

Your kicker will have all the pieces needed for charging on it. You need to buy a wiring harness thats 40 bucks at your merc dealer. If you are on the island phone advanced marine in campbell river, have your serial number and they give you the part number

Under the cowl, near the front of the engine there should be a red wire and yellow(think its yellow) wire both have caps on them, if you have the wires you already have the charging system and just need the harness.I have had 2 merc 9.9 kickers and both I just needed a harness for the charging.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know as I tried on a honda a long time ago and it was more of a pain had to take of flywheel and the harness didnt last long(outside connection) thats when I went to Yammys.

Buying the proper harness is always good. I needed on for my Yamaha too. The Yamaha harness was about $80. I looked at it and it was just two pair wire with a fuse in it. So I made my own for under $10. If your comfortable with wiring and making waterproof connections take a look at the merc harness then make your own.

Ok thanks for the advice everyone...I thought it might just be a matter of adding a simple harness/fuse and it sounds like something I can do pretty easily myself...BTW a local marine shop quoted me a price of $300 to "make the conversion" as they called it....

Terry

Back