Alright Which One Of You Was It?

Dogbreath

Ancient glass sponges damaged by prawn traps in Howe Sound despite ban
Bottom-contact fishing is banned in the area of the glass sponges, which are thousands of years old

glass-sponge-howe-sound.jpg

Fisheries officers seized this recreational prawn trap on Saturday, in Howe Sound near Passage Island, with a large piece of glass sponge reef on it.

Fisheries officials are investigating after a recreational prawn trap was seized in Howe Sound on Saturday, with a large piece of glass sponge attached.

The delicate glass sponge reefs at the bottom of Howe Sound are thousands of years old, and can take hundreds of years to grow back when damaged, said Fisheries and Oceans Canada.

Bottom-contact fisheries, such as prawn and crab traps, are banned near nine glass sponge reefs in the Strait of Georgia and Howe Sound, and an investigation is underway into the prawn trap, said fishery officer Eric Jean.

"It's more common than we'd like," said Jean. "We do often find portions and pieces of the sponge reef that come up with the traps."

"It's great to have a reminder out that these areas need to be protected."

Jean said officers seized another 10 unmarked traps yesterday in the area where bottom-contact fishing is banned.

The trap seized Saturday, northeast of Passage Island not far from Horseshoe Bay, had proper markings, identifying its owner. It's not clear whether the trap was intentionally set in the closed area, said Jean.

Reefs are important habitat for fish
Sponges, among the oldest types of animals, are common — but not the kind that makes the large glass reefs found off B.C.'s coast.

Those were believed extinct until living reefs were discovered in Hecate Strait in 1987. Last month, Fisheries Minister Dominic LeBlanc created a Marine Protected Area to prevent bottom-contact fishing near those reefs.

In Howe Sound, the fishing closures were put in place in 2015 for recreational and commercial fishers, and last year for First Nation food, social and ceremonial fisheries.

The closures extend to 150 metres from the reefs, because of the risk that gear will inadvertently damage the delicate reefs, said Jean.

"That buffer zone exists because oftentimes, when putting down gear ... at that depth there are currents and other factors that can allow that gear to drift within the sponge reef closure, causing damage," he said.

Besides being a prehistoric marvel, the large structures provide important habitat for fish, prawns and other creatures.

glass-sponge-howe-sound.jpg

Fisheries officials are investigating, and it's not clear whether the trap was placed in the protected area on purpose or by accident. (DFO Pacific/Twitter)

Why doesn't DFO just give the coordinates of the closure area inclusive of the 150M exclusion zone? They give coordinates, and then say you still can't be within 150M of the area. It would be so much easier for us to stay one the correct sides of the lines if we knew exactly where they were.
Or am I mistaken, and the coordinates take into account the 150M exclusion zone?

Why doesn't DFO just give the coordinates of the closure area inclusive of the 150M exclusion zone? They give coordinates, and then say you still can't be within 150M of the area. It would be so much easier for us to stay one the correct sides of the lines if we knew exactly where they were.
Or am I mistaken, and the coordinates take into account the 150M exclusion zone?

You have it backwards, the published closure includes a 150m buffer.

I don't know about everyone else, but I've pulled up some sponge coral on my traps in open areas too!

Last edited:
Back