"Alone" T.V. Show....

My money is on the guy that made the boat. Boaters always win....right fellas?? ;)

So it's down to Sam and Alan...both say they're not going to quit......

I'm guessing Sam's out next with the big storm coming up.....

Crazy show right? Was a big surprise to all of us involved when Lucas and Mitch dropped out. I had my money on Lucas, thought he had it in the bag. He had a house, boat, fishing gear, figured he would go the distance.

Really liking the mental part of the game. Not sure how I would be handling 40+ days solo eating mice, seaweed, bullheads not to mention being all by yourself.

The final show is going to be a great one.

Who's going to win?

just watched the alone talk back shows on dish TV
wish some of the guys who where alone
funny to watch there reactions to being told that they where not the first to tap out.
and what bummer, i thought Lucas was settled in and wrapping it up
all that singing to oneself.

looking forward to the end
i too think Alan takes it

Tonight's the night, one guy takes it all and is going to be a half million dollars richer. Going to be a great show

I noticed the rods in the rocket launchers when the last guy was picked up. How was fishing? I enjoyed all the episodes. My wife was hooked too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that's who would win but Sam did really well!! Any idea what kind of weight loss Alan had. Nice touch bringing up his wife. Enjoyed the program.

Great show, some good quotes in the last episode and some good exposure for northern VI.
My hat is off to all the contestants. I was rooting for Sam right up to the end but congrats to Alan. He is one tough dude.
I couldn't help wondering how he would have fared if his wife was in the final trimester of pregnancy with their first child or if his mom was being treated for a brian tumor but hey, they all had some sort of mental baggage when they went in. That baggage (and the relentless wind for Sam) seems to have become a deciding factor with conditions of extended solitude. Mental baggage was also the case for Robert Kull in his diary of a year alone in Patagonian wilderness; http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6125396-solitude.

Still wondering if Sam and his wife had a boy or a girl. Anyone know?

I wondered for a while why Sam did not move his tent to a more sheltered area. Alan did not leave himself so exposed.

Kind of disappointed by how anti climatic the ending was. Not a lot of excitement there but I guess Alan was right exhausted.
The announcement to him that he had won was pretty lame. Maybe they did not want to excite him and give him a jammer.

I really enjoyed the show though. Learned a bit about survival I think.
Every time I take my son fishing he wants to try eating some bull kelp. LOL

Tips

Great Show, I loved it! These guys were the real deal and battled all elements through the harshest months the north island has to offer. Did it will a tarp, knife, axe and a flint stick, friggin insane!

Alan was in disbelief when they told him he won, was just told that he was going home and won $500,000. Not sure how I would react!

Now I know I can eat slugs if I'm staving!

Heres to hoping there is a season 2!

Cheers

I thought that's who would win but Sam did really well!! Any idea what kind of weight loss Alan had. Nice touch bringing up his wife. Enjoyed the program.

I believe that during the "Inside Look" version of the final episode Alan said that he lost 60 pounds so an average of about 1 pound per day. That's a lot of weight loss in a relatively short period of time.

Very good show.Couldn't believe the mental toughness of Alan.He was prepared to tough it out until spring.Couldn't believe it was already over after only 56 days.Unbelievable!!My hat of to you sir.

In the behind the scenes commentary episode after the normal one last night Alan said he was surprised it ended so early. He was ready to stay another 2 months he figured before he would start thinking about leaving. Crazy. Apparently it is already picked up for season 2 and it will be filmed on VI again. Should be starting this fall no doubt. Can't wait for next season!

I wondered for a while why Sam did not move his tent to a more sheltered area. Alan did not leave himself so exposed.

Kind of disappointed by how anti climatic the ending was. Not a lot of excitement there but I guess Alan was right exhausted.
The announcement to him that he had won was pretty lame. Maybe they did not want to excite him and give him a jammer.

I really enjoyed the show though. Learned a bit about survival I think.
Every time I take my son fishing he wants to try eating some bull kelp. LOL

Tips

Agree with you ..... my take on it was that Alan was in shock .....when his wife brought him the check he was acting like someone gave him a check for 50 bucks not 500K ! I don't think it really had sunk in.....and his wife seemed equally disinterested in how Alan wanted to spend the 500 K!!!
What I liked is that Alan seemed to do this challenge for way more than the money. I thought it was very cool how he looked back at his camp and seemed emotional about leaving the place - you could see it in his eyes...as if he had become very attached to his home away from home -- I totally get that ....a place he overcame the elements with exteme hardship and won and had an incredible experience .....he was actually a bit sad to leave ... I thought that brought a interesting element to the final episode that wasn't fully obvious or intended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing I heard about the show is that when they did signed up and went out to the woods, there was no promise of any money. The show hadn't been "picked up" by anyone and they were filming it on spec to shop it around to the networks so there was no money for a prize yet. I noticed that at no point in any of the show (including when Alan gets the cheque) that there is no mention of a prize amount. The intro to the show says 500k but that is obviously overdubbed by a different voice after the fact.
Imagine going out and living like that for 2 months with the chance that the show is passed over and they hand you a cheque for your expenses and says thanks for coming out.

I thought the ending was very cool. Alan's mental toughness was what won him the money. Amazing feat of human endurance. Hats off to you Sir.

Back