All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you disagree with bonni Henry and reopening stuff?
No of course not, my comment was about the attitude that some on here seem to have.
As someone that has watched every news conference I think I'm fully aware of what is going on. If I still ran a business I would be working 24/7 preparing and figuring out how to work now and into the near future. I sure would not be on here undermining her message or throwing the high risk groups under the bus. Now if I just wanted to stir the pot because that's how I get my kicks, there are examples I could follow.

Hard to believe with what’s gone on in the world that anyone could think the measures put in place were for nothing? I think what we’ve done here in BC has been smart. What kind of financial prosperity would we have if we had been overloaded with the dying and the chaos that would follow. After the May long weekend we will likely see loosening of some restrictions. The Provincial Health Officer knows what she is doing, best as anyone can in the circumstances.

Great post exactly.

Like Thunder21 I've also been fortunate to be working throughout this isolation phase. I'm in residential construction and all my sites have been going 100% (as much as we can go to 100%). We have implemented a "4 persons max inside a project and 6 persons max outside". Everyone has been very respectful on site and physical distancing has been followed well. It has become the new norm and I'm now used to it as our most of our employees and trades. I have friends in the hospitality, restaurant and film industry who are very much struggling. We need to give these people a chance to work under these same distancing rules. Yes, it will be hard in the restaurant business, but by reducing your seating by ~50% and other measures, we should at least give them a chance to work. Bankruptcy on a massive scale is very much a possibility if this continues much longer. For those of you who say "so be it" - that's not fair to the guy who has risked everything to open a small restaurant. We have to respect that.

Like many I'm sure, I have not seen my parents in person in 6 weeks and likely will not for many more months. They are in the "danger zone" and are taking their own precautions, but still active on walks and hikes, keeping fit but being extra cautious. They are happy with this for the time being but obviously missing the family interaction. Not sure how that will unfold, but I would say the next few months will dictate that.

Everyone needs to accept that this will continue in some way or another for the next 6+ months. There will be tweaks and changes, some loosening of rules, but also some further restrictions. This is now normal for the medium term. Respect it and accept it. In a year from now hopefully some high fives and bro hugs will be commonplace again.

Essential services are running, most folks are still eating, and now other businesses are opening under restrictions.

A free for all opening is lifestyle over other people's lives.

Essential services are running, most folks are still eating, and now other businesses are opening under restrictions.

A free for all opening is lifestyle over other people's lives.

WHEN HAS ANYONE SAID A FREE FOR ALL!?! Stop misquoting to try and misrepresent what people are saying to try to put yourself on morally higher ground...typical left response to be honest but in this virus there is no left or right.

That isn't what we are saying Jeff. It has be safe for everyone not just Millennial/GenX/Gen Z etc. That means we all as a society have to make sacrifices.

This notion that somehow Covid 19 isn't serious, and we wasted months shutting things down is just nonsense. Actually it's pure ********.

It isn't up to our younger generations to put Boomers and up lives in jeopardy. If there is risk we all own it.

That's exactly what you are saying...or you actually are reading! Because no one here is saying open everything up like in December! At this point in our curve AND how the VAST MAJORITY of cases now are LTCH it makes sense to isolate those and those at high risk and others can go back to a new normal (not pre normal)! You're completely taking out of context and misrepresenting what is said here by those that don't think we should all hide in our houses!

And AG I saw earlier you posted something about going back to normal and hundreds of thousands of lives will be lost etc. Based on what? Modelling? Because I can (and will if you like) post non stop modelling that shows it has been COMPLETELY...like 2-10x off... wrong and too high for even social distancing measures enacted! (no, not comparing now to worst case scenario etc...comparing what is actually happening with "probable" and "low" models...we are WAYYY below even low.) So anyone that tries to quote modelling, don't bother, it has been proven wrong! Completely wrong!

so is that on reserve but not traditional lands then (aka not hereditary lands). Because the whole island isn’t reserve right ?
No - the whole Island is not federal Crown SG - you are right. The Park side would be governed by the Park Agreements (http://www.haidanation.ca/?page_id=56). The non-park side would be governed instead by the Hereditary Chiefs Council (http://www.haidanation.ca/?page_id=40) of the Haida Nation (AKA Council of the Haida Nation). Any declaration for Haida Gwaii (exception: federal Crown Indian Reserves) would have to have been approved through this body. The federal Crown Indian reserves would be governed by the Old Massett Village Council (OMVC) or the Skidegate Band Council (SBC) and are incredibly small:

Attachments

• haida gwaii2.png
    haida gwaii2.png
    808.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Also not sure if you saw on the news that only one person on the ferry was non essential...yet they wanted to turn back them all etc...

WHEN HAS ANYONE SAID A FREE FOR ALL!?! Stop misquoting to try and misrepresent what people are saying to try to put yourself on morally higher ground...typical left response to be honest but in this virus there is no left or right.
Who did I quote?

Todays chart...

EWuWUFeXYAA4va2

Detail here
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/april-28-covid-19-update-british-columbia-1.5548307

looking at Those numbers if you restricted travel to Vancouver island you could have a real chance to eradicate the Virus.

I haven’t been following the charts closely but I’m a little confused how they come up with the new numbers. I’ve been reading up to 80 percent of people are asymptomatic or “silent carriers”. If this is true, how can they claim to know how many new cases we have each day? Are they counting only people with symptoms ? Without widespread testing isn’t the number of new cases and also the mortality rate that they claim is 10 times worse than the flu nothing more than a guess? Maybe I’m missing something.

Be interesting to see if the power smokers out there don't catch the virus like the rest of the population. The French and Greek are starting to think smokers could fair well having nicotine running through their veins.

Search Coronavirus and smoking

Be interesting to see if the power smokers out there don't catch the virus like the rest of the population. The French and Greek are starting to think smokers could fair well having nicotine running through their veins.

Search Coronavirus and smoking

Attachments

• 8FEE0E7D-6D1D-4770-A2A5-09112EC15B7E.jpeg
    8FEE0E7D-6D1D-4770-A2A5-09112EC15B7E.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 45
Like Thunder21 I've also been fortunate to be working throughout this isolation phase. I'm in residential construction and all my sites have been going 100% (as much as we can go to 100%). We have implemented a "4 persons max inside a project and 6 persons max outside". Everyone has been very respectful on site and physical distancing has been followed well. It has become the new norm and I'm now used to it as our most of our employees and trades. I have friends in the hospitality, restaurant and film industry who are very much struggling. We need to give these people a chance to work under these same distancing rules. Yes, it will be hard in the restaurant business, but by reducing your seating by ~50% and other measures, we should at least give them a chance to work. Bankruptcy on a massive scale is very much a possibility if this continues much longer. For those of you who say "so be it" - that's not fair to the guy who has risked everything to open a small restaurant. We have to respect that.

Like many I'm sure, I have not seen my parents in person in 6 weeks and likely will not for many more months. They are in the "danger zone" and are taking their own precautions, but still active on walks and hikes, keeping fit but being extra cautious. They are happy with this for the time being but obviously missing the family interaction. Not sure how that will unfold, but I would say the next few months will dictate that.

Everyone needs to accept that this will continue in some way or another for the next 6+ months. There will be tweaks and changes, some loosening of rules, but also some further restrictions. This is now normal for the medium term. Respect it and accept it. In a year from now hopefully some high fives and bro hugs will be commonplace again.

I don't think restaurants will be opening up quickly at all. Restaurants as a whole are always just balancing on remaining profitable. Even good restaurants don't make as much as people think. Margins are very tight, rents in cities very high. The threat of this happening again and people just being wary of going out to eat will probably cause many restaurants to not bother opening back up. I know of restaurants that have already just walked on the leases, no real point.

I have a feeling the economy will need even further quantitative easing to transition back. For many service-type industries, I'd be very cautious to throw my own capital back in to open back up with all the uncertainty.

I don't think restaurants will be opening up quickly at all. Restaurants as a whole are always just balancing on remaining profitable. Even good restaurants don't make as much as people think. Margins are very tight, rents in cities very high. The threat of this happening again and people just being wary of going out to eat will probably cause many restaurants to not bother opening back up. I know of restaurants that have already just walked on the leases, no real point.

I have a feeling the economy will need even further quantitative easing to transition back. For many service-type industries, I'd be very cautious to throw my own capital back in to open back up with all the uncertainty.

Are margins tight when the government will pay 75% of the wages ?

That's the hard part for businesses in that position getting details by the week and not much further out, it's like gambling do you toss a couple more bucks in the machine because you might win or do you cut your loses and walk. Be good if there was more direction further out so people can make the best decision they can vs die a thousand cuts by the end of it losing more than they had to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back