All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many tourists in the Okanagan at present. Seems like half of Alberta is here and likely the other half about to arrive. Party party party in Kelowna, no surprise we're getting new cases like crazy. My IH and hospital friends tell me it's still quiet in the south Okanagan; will the smoke keep enough of DILIGAFS home or are we about to be part.of the fourth wave too?
Interior Health continues to account for most new cases in B.C., rising to 58 per cent of all new infections on Wednesday.

Interior Health is less than half the size of Vancouver Coastal Health and Fraser Health and roughly the same size as Island Health – that was responsible for just over six per cent of cases on Wednesday.

What nobodies saying is our spike in the okanagan started about a week after the Calgary stampede. Right around the same time we had a massive influx of tourists from the red plate province. Not all on them though, we had our own citizens travel there and back too. Seems like people can see the connection between these large gatherings and the spikes we see right after but prefer to pretend the cause is due to something else.

Surely I
I love this guy's writing!

It's kind of interesting, if you look at Florida's and Texas's vaccination rates they are showing a definite uptick. I would suggest this is the only way to get the holdouts on board, let the restrictions go and as the 4th wave takes shape, if you catch a severe case of covid it's your own fault. I think you'll see both natural immunity and vaccination rates reach the tipping point hopefully.

Surely I

It's kind of interesting, if you look at Florida's and Texas's vaccination rates they are showing a definite uptick. I would suggest this is the only way to get the holdouts on board, let the restrictions go and as the 4th wave takes shape, if you catch a severe case of covid it's your own fault. I think you'll see both natural immunity and vaccination rates reach the tipping point hopefully.
Or you could announce vaccine passports like Quebec. Apparently a very large uptick in vaccine bookings afterwards

I love this guy's writing!

Perhaps it made him feel better to write this, but it won't change many minds. I think a better approach in any discussion with a vaccine reluctant or resistant person is to simply ask, "Don't you want this crap to be over?" Even if they think Covid isn't real, they can surely see that most of society does, and the restrictions and disruptions will continue for many months. The vax is the only viable way out at this time, whether they believe in it or not.

Rather than telling them they're irresponsible, ignorant or foolish, see if you can get them to hold their nose and get the jab anyway as a pragmatic way out of the mess.

Perhaps it made him feel better to write this, but it won't change many minds. I think a better approach in any discussion with a vaccine reluctant or resistant person is to simply ask, "Don't you want this crap to be over?" Even if they think Covid isn't real, they can surely see that most of society does, and the restrictions and disruptions will continue for many months. The vax is the only viable way out at this time, whether they believe in it or not.

Rather than telling them they're irresponsible, ignorant or foolish, see if you can get them to hold their nose and get the jab anyway as a pragmatic way out of the mess.
Yeah, I have to agree - he's an entertaining guy with a lot in interesting insights into back room politics but IMO there's a tiny minority of hard-anti-vax people who genuinely believe crazy **** and you won't ever convince them, and a fairly large group of vaccine-hesitant people who have possibly-legitimate questions and personally I think the idea of just heaping abuse on people who have different ideas than you is pretty much always counterproductive.

But he is funny, in a very biting, acerbic way. The humour equivalent of a spoonful of wasabi, that guy.

I don't see the issue we have 80% now with one dose and 70% with two by any metric that rate is very high.

only thing I'm starting to worry about is the kids under 12 and that's only because a ICP nurse i know very well is concerned about it.

IMO there's a tiny minority of hard-anti-vax people who genuinely believe crazy **** and you won't ever convince them, and a fairly large group of vaccine-hesitant people who have possibly-legitimate questions and personally I think the idea of just heaping abuse on people who have different ideas than you is pretty much always counterproductive.
My feeling too. I think the genuinely anti vax are a small but very hard core and there's no changing their minds. My seat of the pants guess is they're less than 3% of BC population. I think the remaining 15% of British Columbians haven't yet got the vax are split about 50/50 into the too busy/too lazy group and the 'I have concerns' group. A good chunk of the latter have medical issues such as past allergic reaction, pregnant/breastfeeding, and a host of other items that *may* cause vax reactions, and yes, some are hesitant at this time because they want to see if problems arise from the vaccine in the medium or long term.

------------

15% of eligible population unvaccinated isn't to be dismissed. That's roughly 750,000 people spread across the province - with some hotspots - and if even 3% of them (22,000 people) became infected at any one time, our hospital capacity would not meet the load and people would die of Covid who could have been saved if there'd only been a bed available. As much as we'd like to say, "screw 'em, they get what they deserve," that also means not enough beds for people suffering heart attacks or critical motor vehicle injuries and so on. Scheduled surgeries would be canceled, causing thousands to suffer even longer wait times, and probably some unnecessary deaths as well.

I'd wager that every one of us on this board knows at least one person who hasn't yet had their shots. If the opportunity arises, just ask them gently, "Don't you want this crap to be over?"

Man, those numbers may be a guess but I bet they're pretty damn close.

I don't have strong feelings about people who choose not to be vaccinated; I spent a long time thinking it over myself, of course. But I do agree that it's pretty likely the whole thing won't end until vaccination rates are pretty high.

Although there's also some good news about fluvoxamine; that had been speculated about a bit but a trial that just concluded really did show some promise. It hasn't been through peer review yet but it's the most legit looking trial of an alternative treatment I've seen so far. I think it was run through McMaster.

A legit effective treatment would be a game changer for sure and would give us an option.

I won't hold my breath though, viruses are notoriously resistant to treatment. We still have nothing for influenza or rhinovirus (common cold). There are therapies to help with the symptoms, but no cure as such. Consider the well known viral infections: mumps, measles, chickenpox, influenza, rhino, shingles, HIV, HPV, mono, herpes. In every case, there is no treatment for the virus itself, we just tough it out while our immune system to fight off the virus. Almost all of these have a vaccine available to prevent infection in the first place though.

Again, I'm not putting the knock on fluvoxamine, or any other possible treatment; until the peer reviewed studies come out we just don't know.

A legit effective treatment would be a game changer for sure and would give us an option.

I won't hold my breath though, viruses are notoriously resistant to treatment. We still have nothing for influenza or rhinovirus (common cold). There are therapies to help with the symptoms, but no cure as such. Consider the well known viral infections: mumps, measles, chickenpox, influenza, rhino, shingles, HIV, HPV, mono, herpes. In every case, there is no treatment for the virus itself, we just tough it out while our immune system to fight off the virus. Almost all of these have a vaccine available to prevent infection in the first place though.

Again, I'm not putting the knock on fluvoxamine, or any other possible treatment; until the peer reviewed studies come out we just don't know.
For sure no guarantees but this is not a treatment for the virus; it seems to inhibit the runaway immune response that characterizes the worst covid cases.

It's an interesting story - I remember the first I heard of it was during the early days when covid was wreaking havoc in Italy and France. Observational data from the field was that doctors noticed people on it as an antidepressant seemed to be dying less often. They kept seeing it in care homes: where fluvoxamine was broadly prescribed, it would seem to skip that facility. I remember a bunch of discussion about it with a couple of doctors I know, but they didn't take it very seriously. Not did I, particularly: stuff like that could be anything. But it's interesting that people made the link early on.

Anyway it'll be interesting to see if these results get corroborated; this is not the first study to show this effect but it's probably the best so far.

Ironically the big advocate for fluvoxamine testing in the US, who put up a bunch of his own money to get tests rolling, is Steve Kirsch, who I think is totally out to lunch. But maybe it'll turn out he was right on this one.

COVID numbers jumps significantly as B.C. records 717 new cases​

Aug 13, 2021

British Columbia announced 717 new cases of COVID-19 on Friday — the highest daily case count since May 7 when the number was 722.

No additional deaths were announced on Friday.

In a written statement, the province said there are currently 4,277 active cases of people infected with the novel coronavirus in B.C., the most since May 22.

E8s1wXNUUAEMMJj

A total of 82 people are in hospital. Of those, 39 are in intensive care, up from 24 a week ago.

Overall hospitalizations, which typically lag behind spikes and dips in new cases, are up by 58 per cent from last Friday, when 52 people were in hospital with the disease.

The provincial death toll from the disease is now 1,779 lives lost out of 155,079 confirmed cases to date.

As of Friday, 82.4 per cent of those 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine and 72 per cent a second dose.

So far, 7.1 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered, including 3.3 million second doses.

E8s5wYOVkAMTWC0

Cases increase across all regions​

More than half of the new daily COVID-19 cases in the province are in the Interior Health region. The one death recorded on Thursday was in the Interior, but other regions are also seeing an increase in new cases as well.

The breakdown of new cases by region is as follows:

• 376 new cases in Interior Health, which has 2,446 active cases.
  • 140 new cases in Fraser Health, which has 821 active cases.
  • 101 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health, which has 593 active cases.
  • 40 new cases in Island Health, which has 245 active cases.
  • 60 new cases in Northern Health, which has 163 active cases.
  • No new cases of people who reside outside of Canada, a group that has 9 active cases.
E8s2v1IVIAQHvQv

More:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/covid-19-update-aug13-1.6140392

COVID numbers jumps significantly as B.C. records 717 new cases​

Aug 13, 2021

British Columbia announced 717 new cases of COVID-19 on Friday — the highest daily case count since May 7 when the number was 722.

No additional deaths were announced on Friday.

In a written statement, the province said there are currently 4,277 active cases of people infected with the novel coronavirus in B.C., the most since May 22.

E8s1wXNUUAEMMJj

A total of 82 people are in hospital. Of those, 39 are in intensive care, up from 24 a week ago.

Overall hospitalizations, which typically lag behind spikes and dips in new cases, are up by 58 per cent from last Friday, when 52 people were in hospital with the disease.

The provincial death toll from the disease is now 1,779 lives lost out of 155,079 confirmed cases to date.

As of Friday, 82.4 per cent of those 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine and 72 per cent a second dose.

So far, 7.1 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered, including 3.3 million second doses.

E8s5wYOVkAMTWC0

Cases increase across all regions​

More than half of the new daily COVID-19 cases in the province are in the Interior Health region. The one death recorded on Thursday was in the Interior, but other regions are also seeing an increase in new cases as well.

The breakdown of new cases by region is as follows:

• 376 new cases in Interior Health, which has 2,446 active cases.
  • 140 new cases in Fraser Health, which has 821 active cases.
  • 101 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health, which has 593 active cases.
  • 40 new cases in Island Health, which has 245 active cases.
  • 60 new cases in Northern Health, which has 163 active cases.
  • No new cases of people who reside outside of Canada, a group that has 9 active cases.
E8s2v1IVIAQHvQv

More:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/covid-19-update-aug13-1.6140392

im un decided if the high case count is something I should care about. As of right now I could care less

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back