All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may want to get out to your favorite restaurant today as it looks like indoor dining is done as of midnight.

Honestly dont think its gonna make a dent in the case count, yeah restaurants have been getting busy over the last few weeks from what i've seen but dont think this will make a bit of difference to the case count.

So many bankruptcies are going to happen in the restaurant industry. Feel bad for them. A lot of these places are so small, and have been screwed around with grants/loans. Some couldn't even get them.

I am ordering something tonight for one of places close to us.

I love how Costco and Walmart isn't indoor gathering.

So many bankruptcies are going to happen in the restaurant industry. Feel bad for them. A lot of these places are so small, and have been screwed around with grants/loans. Some couldn't even get them.

Think it largely depends on who they have for customers.. Talking to my local Pho place they are doing well but places that rely on tourists, indoor dining and liquor sales are gonna get walloped again.

and i dont even no if its justified as they dont see to tell us where transmission is occuring.

Have they released data on where the recent transmission is occuring?

Not sure if you mean in what scenarios (restaurants, gyms etc) but this is from BC CTV today.

I do agree with @SpringVelocity that it seems odd that the restaurants are being targeted and other businesses aren't. I see the best COVID protocols and rules being enforced in restaurants such as no moving around etc. Go into a store and they are definitely not being adhered to as I saw this weekend when I was in my local grocery store. Very little attempts by people to distance.

Their latest update from provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry included three days' worth of data. From Friday to Saturday, 936 people tested positive. Then, from Saturday to Sunday, 805 people tested positive. Finally, in the past 24 hours, another 774 people were confirmed to have the disease.

Broken down by health regions, Vancouver Coastal Health saw 142 new cases, and Fraser Health saw 1,280 new cases. For the Interior Health region there were 156 new cases, for Northern Health 121, and then three cases among those who normally reside outside of the province.

I do agree with @SpringVelocity that it seems odd that the restaurants are being targeted and other businesses aren't.

Yes thats what im talking about, seems like they are taking an unfair beating here. I still know of so many people working in offices with almost no measures being taken. Yet restaurants that seem to be doing every measure under the sun here and getting closed.

I wonder it is what the contact tracing is telling them....

Exactly show us that data..

Suspend AstraZeneca use for people under 55, vaccine committee recommends​

Canada's National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) is recommending provinces pause the use of the AstraZeneca-Oxford COVID-19 vaccine on those under the age of 55 because of safety concerns — guidance most provinces said today that they would follow.

Hope they don't try and give the old folks that stuff now!! I don't know-is it just me or do any of you have trouble believing anything the Federal Gov't says these days !! Seems like they are really not in the game!

Hope they don't try and give the old folks that stuff now!! I don't know-is it just me or do any of you have trouble believing anything the Federal Gov't says these days !! Seems like they are really not in the game!
The term, “Running around like chickens with their heads cut off” comes to mind for sure.

it will be very interesting to hear how they reason for that decision - I can't imagine that anyone will want that vaccine now

I'm pretty much done with these rules. Their restrictions contradict everything that they still allow people to do. How many of these cases are serious? Sure, the case count is up from last Spring/Summer, but remember that they hardly tested anyone until Fall of last year.

They botched their vaccine rollout completely and now we have a shot that they wont administer. Our friends down South didn't approve it but we did. My friend just got that shot yesterday and she is the only person out of 20 that didn't get very sick. I'll be saying no to that shot.

6 deaths over the weekend? I'd like to know if there was any other issues with those people. We need to look less at the amount of cases, and focus more on the severity of the cases. COVID has ran the gamut through most care centers. I wonder how many serious cases has dropped this year compared to last.

No worries guys. Don't hang out with some friends in your backyard, but please go to Cactus Club for lunch where 2,000 people have cycled through the restaurant in the last 24 hours. You'll be fine there!

Give anyone over 50 two shots of Pfizer and I'll wait until my first one. I'll be fine.

What a joke!
Honestly people do you really trust those guys with your lives and your children’ s life ?
Just randomly “ YouTube “ news from one week ago , one month ago , one year ago please

B.C. implements sweeping restrictions on indoor dining, group fitness for 3-week 'circuit breaker'​

Mar 29, 2021

B.C. is implementing a three-week "circuit breaker"-style lockdown, introducing sweeping new restrictions on indoor dining in restaurants, group fitness and worship services.

The province recorded 2,518 new cases of COVID-19 over the last three days, including a record high 936 on Saturday. Six more people have died.

"We have seen the start of exponential growth," said Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry. "Gathering indoors is what is the greatest risk to all of us right now."

The province announced on Monday that all food and liquor-serving premises must pivot to takeout or delivery service. Indoor dining is suspended, though patios will remain open.

People dining on patios should do so with their immediate household or core bubble only.

Indoor, adult group fitness activities of any kind are paused. Gyms and fitness centres are restricted to individual or one-on-one activities.

A previous announcement allowing for limited indoor worship services has been suspended.

Public health guidance for schools has also been amended and now encourages students down to Grade 4 to wear masks while at school.

The Whistler-Blackcomb ski resort will also be closed.

ExrM2_1UYAAwfRk

First new restrictions in months​

All new public health orders go into effect at midnight on March 30 and will be in place until April 19.

B.C. is tightening restrictions for the first time since November. Indoor dining in the province has remained open since May 2020.

But B.C.'s seven-day rolling average of new cases is now at 803 cases a day — the second highest number of the pandemic. B.C. recorded 329 new cases associated with variants of concern on Monday, bringing total variant cases in the province to 2,233. Currently, 413 of the variant cases are active.

Henry said she is concerned that variant cases are currently driving transmission in B.C., especially as they are likelier to lead to severe infection in young people, and the variant associated with Brazil, P.1., which is showing significant growth, is less amenable to vaccines.

"I was very hopeful, even as late as last week, that we could keep where we were. But the dramatic increase in the last five or so days prompted this," said Henry.

Henry said that during targeted workplace inspections at Whistler, the province found that staff were struggling to maintain public health restrictions between restaurant patrons. She said people who travelled to Whistler and to other parts of the province over March break during the recent holidays, in some cases, brought the virus back to their home communities.

"Now is the time to give people a break," she said.

Exrk20_U4AIRihl

Premier John Horgan spoke directly to people aged 20 to 39, saying "do not blow this for the rest of us."

"We have made such good progress together ... and we have come a great distance but we cannot blow it now ... We have weeks and weeks to go and we need to redouble our efforts to focus on individual responsibility for the greater good," he said.

People in B.C. are still able gather in groups of 10 outdoors. Henry urged people to stick to the same group of 10 people.

"I am asking for your help for this next few weeks. If you are gathering outside, even if it starts to rain or snow ... stay outside," she said.

ExrOfGMVcAED91y

AstraZeneca vaccine on pause for younger age cohort​

B.C. also announced on Monday that, like many provinces, it is suspending use of the AstraZeneca vaccine for people under 55.

On Monday, the National Advisory Committee on Immunization announced it was immediately pausing the use of AstraZeneca in people under the age of 55, following reports of rare blood clots in some immunized patients.

On March 18, the provincial government announced a priority group that includes teachers, child-care staff, grocery store employees and first responders would receive a first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine in April.

ExrMLKQVIAAlFtj

Henry said that the use of vaccine will be on pause until a risk assessment can be completed over the coming days.

"Right now, if you have received the AstraZeneca vaccine, and it is more than 20 days since you did, there is no risk," she said, adding there have been fewer than 30 cases of blood clotting worldwide.

"This is a rare instance ... but it is serious."

Over the last three days, an average of 20,412 people were vaccinated in B.C. — a 24 per cent increase over last weekend. Around 15 per cent of eligible people in B.C. have received at least one shot.

ExrMLkmVgAEXiEl

Last week, teachers in Surrey began receiving early access to COVID-19 vaccinations because of the higher rate of coronavirus transmission in the district.

On Twitter, Surrey school district superintendent Jordan Tinney said staff getting immunized Monday were receiving the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/astrazeneca-vaccine-bc-covid-19-1.5968334

You would think by now they have learned a lot about this virus and are getting much better at treating it. Are there any reliable statistics out there in regards to infections vs deaths compared to a year ago. We may be to the point it’s treatable to a level playing field with most flus by now. Sure would be nice to have a source that we could look at and believe.

Pretty sure they unveiled the new rules today so they could slide in the AstraZeneca halt. Lol - Classic political bait and switch.

These are best estimate of the IFR depending on R0 value per CDC. Deaths per MILLION infections. Get your calculator out folks. Turns out covid fatality risk is basically a non event for the vast majority.

R0*2.04.02.5
Infection fatality ratio (Estimated number of deaths per 1,000,000 infections)
0–17 years old: 6
18–49 years old: 150
50–64 years old: 1,800
65+ years old: 26,000​
0–17 years old: 80
18–49 years old: 1,700
50–64 years old: 20,000
65+ years old: 270,000​
0–17 years old: 20
18–49 years old: 500
50–64 years old: 6,000
65+ years old: 90,000​

All the people upset at 0-64 year olds for carrying on like nothing is going on. That's precisely why - nothing is going on for them. They have a minute risk of death. They also have to get infected. People want to call this type of thinking 'selfish' when in fact it is far from selfish. It's rational and logical. I wish the CDC report broke out the 65 plus age into smaller segments as you would see mortality heavily skewed toward end of life age.

The stupidity of the general population continues to amaze me. Feels like the twilight zone for a year now.

Keep watching the news and biting your fingernails at the case counts! You can do it safely inside your prisons

One week they are easing restricting and allowing larger gatherings outside. Sure, go see grandma in the old folks home.
The next week they are enforcing strict guidelines to a specific industry which again will have crippling effects. (Restaurants)No evidence that restaurants are causing high amounts of spread. But bring the whole family to wal mart and stop at the mall after.

The premier is blaming the youth for the spread but he was all set to fly his family in for Xmas dinner last year. What a hypocrite!

the vaccine situation is unbelievable. Certain age groups can’t take a vaccine as it’s potentially dangerous, but it’s good enough for others. A vaccine that most countries won’t even touch if it’s given to them for free.
And the 16 week delay on second vaccine of Pfizer is anyone’s guess as to how that’s gonna go.

I love my country, but this is the biggest failure by government in my lifetime... maybe ever??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back