All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
The US is considering sending AZ doses to Mexico and Canada. The US has 50 million doses of the AZ vaccine and AZ hasn't even applied for approval in the US. With huge numbers of of Moderna, JJ and Pfizer vaccines coming in the US this month and next, I think many Americans will refuse to take the AZ vaccine with its uncertain efficacy numbers and bad press about blood clots, even if it gets approved. Sending the doses to its neighbors would make sense. I suspect they may be getting close to expiration as well which might be the real reason they are considering it.

nothing wrong with Biden’s sloppy seconds

You have some fair comments. However, it's not exactly new tech. It has been studied and trialed in applications such as cancer treatments. mRNA delivery itself has not been rushed just to clarify. This is just the first time it will be used on a global scale. A subtle point, but I think it's important to clarify.
This is true; I have two different friends who worked on mRNA research in a non-vaccine context.

Neither one will accept an mRNA vaccine, actually. I had started to write out an explanation of their respective concerns but it's so technical that I can't really present it well enough to make arguments on their behalf.

But both of them have pretty pointed concerns about replication-stop protein encoding and the robustness of that mechanism. They're both waiting for either AZ or J&J.

Have to admit that the AZ and J&J vaccines are the only ones I'd consider taking at this point, although expired ones maybe not so much. I assume they'd just be less effective and not hazardous, but then, what's the point of taking a vaccine that may not protect you? Still, if they can rescue us with nearing-expiration but not past-expiry vaccines...why not grab that lifeline?

The mRNA ones are probably fine and for all I know will turn out to be the future of vaccines and will have fewer side effects and be more effective and everything about them will be better. But personally, I'm low-risk for Covid and have forty years to develop long-term side effects and there's currently no data on what the long term consequences are of taking this, because it's new. We think it's fine, and it probably will be fine, but it'll be decades before we KNOW.

If I were 75 I'd take whatever they'd give me, because covid's a lot riskier at that age, and you haven't got as much time left on your clock for anything slow-acting to get you.

Not to be alarmist about mRNA stuff or anything, it could be the best thing since vaccinations began, period. But any new tech that gets rolled out fast on a global scale necessarily includes a degree of risk, and I think everyone should be balancing their personal risk of serious covid complications against the risks of any potential treatment, and deciding for themselves how they want to approach that.
MRNA has been around since 2012. It's the next wave of cancer treatment according to my wife's oncologist

Let the Sh*t show continue.

Are you telling me the USA is sitting on enough vaccine that is nearly expired that could vaccinate all of Canada? We could have it here today and be done with this. (At least Amazon could if you order in the next 1hr 14 minutes)
What a bunch of clowns.
I don't know that its approaching expiration, that was just speculation. But they admit they are sitting on 50 million doses they can't inject because its not approved. AZ hasn't even filed for approval yet in the US.

But my point was that it wasn't just rolled out in this last year since the pandemic started.
As a base technology, no...the guys I know who worked with it were working with it about a decade ago, on cancer applications. But to the best of my knowledge this is the first attempt to use it to do this particular task, and the current bank of knowledge on what it does over a 20 or 40 year span is basically empty, which is a big part of neither one of those guys will accept an mRNA vaccine.

Sounds like the US is committing to send us some of those AZ vaccines, which I think is good news.

Front-line workers in B.C., including teachers, grocery store staff to begin receiving vaccines in April​

Mar 18, 2021

More than 300,000 front-line workers in B.C. such as teachers, child-care workers, grocery store staff and first responders will be eligible for a COVID-19 vaccine next month as the province moves ahead with its vaccination plan.

The Ministry of Health said people in priority groups will receive their first dose of the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine in April. Those groups include, among others:

• K-12 educational staff.
  • Child-care staff.
  • Grocery store workers
  • First responders like police, firefighters and emergency transport.
  • Postal workers.
  • Manufacturing workers.
  • Wholesale and warehousing employees.
  • Bylaw and quarantine officers.
  • Correctional facility staff.
  • Cross-border transport staff.
  • Staff living in shared housing in place like ski hills.
Health Minister Adrian Dix said the age-based rollout is ahead of schedule and the progress, combined with the incoming supply of AstraZeneca vaccines, means the province can protect those working in specific front-line industries.

The province says it expects to receive about 340,000 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine by the end of May and it plans to use a combination of community pharmacists, existing clinics and mobile clinics at some work sites to administer the vaccine to the workers.

"We know this has been an extremely challenging time for front-line workers … they have gone to work day after day, day after day. They are the true heroes we want to immunize at this time," said Premier John Horgan.

The province also announced more details on the accelerated timeline for people receiving their vaccine based on their age. The new timeline said people from 18 to 59 will be eligible by the end of June -- the updated schedule more clearly explaining how the province plans to meet its target of first doses for every eligible adult in the province by July 1.

The next age cohort, which includes people 79 and over as well as Indigenous people 55 and over, are able to call to book a vaccine appointment as of Saturday.

The highest-risk categories of work sites were identified through a task force established by Henry last November. They include places where poultry, fruit and fish are processed as well as agricultural operations and large industrial camps where close living quarters make isolation and quarantine difficult.

Here are all the groups receiving the AZ vaccine in the coming months, along with the province's explanation of why they will be receiving it. The age-based timeline for the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines will continue on a parallel track.

EwyZajUVgAIWJMm

EwyZbCvUYAIrbcs

EwyZbbTUUAEuJyq

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vaccine-plan-bc-update-march-18-2021-1.5955231

vaccine_banner_v3.png

COVID-19 Immunization Plan​

B.C.’s COVID-19 Immunization Plan is designed to save lives and stop the spread of COVID-19. The information on this page is updated frequently and is subject to change based on vaccine availability and the latest COVID-19 data.
Last updated: March 18, 2021

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/plan

Front-line priority workers​

Starting in April, front-line priority workers can receive their first dose of the AstraZeneca/SII COVISHIELD (AZ/SII) vaccine. Front-line priority workers identified by the COVID-19 Workplace Task Group and public health include:
  • First responders (police, firefighters, emergency transport)
  • K to 12 educational staff
  • Child care staff
  • Grocery store workers
  • Postal workers
  • Bylaw and quarantine officers
  • Manufacturing workers
  • Wholesale/warehousing employees
  • Staff living in congregate housing at places like ski hills
  • Correctional facilities staff
  • Cross-border transport staff
  • Sectors or settings prioritized due to outbreak response (currently happening)
If you are a front-line priority worker, do not call your local health authority. All AstraZeneca/SII COVISHIELD (AZ/SII) vaccine appointments will be organized by employers. Appointment information will be communicated clearly and directly to each sector and employer.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/plan

According to this we will fall under these categories. I’m still in no rush there are plenty that need it more than I do and most of us out here.

I don't know that its approaching expiration, that was just speculation. But they admit they are sitting on 50 million doses they can't inject because its not approved. AZ hasn't even filed for approval yet in the US.
If it is up to AZ to file for approval, I wonder why they did not do it? - could it be because they are not sure enough about their product themselves - knowing how litigious Americans are known to be?

I had to read this again and I'm still not sure if I comprehend correctly. The US govt received (and, I assume, paid for) 50 million doses of a product their regulatory process has yet to approve? Yet people are claiming all kinds of inefficiency and screwups in the Canadian vaccine rollout. Wow.

I had to read this again and I'm still not sure if I comprehend correctly. The US govt received (and, I assume, paid for) 50 million doses of a product their regulatory process has yet to approve? Yet people are claiming all kinds of inefficiency and screwups in the Canadian vaccine rollout. Wow.
I think the story is that AZ did not apply for approval, so the government/health officials cannot be faulted here. Who knows why they did not apply.

My quick google-fu results indicate that AZ is not manufactured in the US.
This would leave me to believe that the US and Canada approach was similar in making purchase contracts with multiple vaccine producers.

But again, it would seem that Canada did not do as well as other countries, with this example the US, in getting delivery of the vaccines.

I can't speak for anyone else but personally, I think that having a bunch of extra stuff that's still awaiting regulatory approval is a way less egregious screw up than not having enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back