All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why it's assumed that they're not all changing the same way and so it's not traveling but just doing the same across the board. Does it react differently to different languages?

I think there are a few cases where mutations have happened simutinsusly in different areas but i think the UK and SA have been mostly traced to travel.

I don't understand why it's assumed that they're not all changing the same way and so it's not traveling but just doing the same across the board. Does it react differently to different languages?
But the “South African” variant sounds way scarier.

It's human nature to see danger from outside rather than from within.

This is what bothers me the most.

Xenophobia

Most of the time this is equated with reactionary small town deplorables, but the Rona has exposed this undesirable trait in many so called progressives.

I live and work in Campbell River, we have been very lucky with our Rona numbers, but cross the granola line to Quadra or heaven forbid Cortes, we are plague rats that MUST be stopped from infecting their idyllic isle.
Yet, no problem for them to shop here, recreate here and if they get sick, they come here to get better.

Let's be inclusive my a$$.

Xenophobia

Most of the time this is equated with reactionary small town deplorables, but the Rona has exposed this undesirable trait in many so called progressives.

I live and work in Campbell River, we have been very lucky with our Rona numbers, but cross the granola line to Quadra or heaven forbid Cortes, we are plague rats that MUST be stopped from infecting their idyllic isle.
Yet, no problem for them to shop here, recreate here and if they get sick, they come here to get better.

LOL-I visited northern Vancouver Island this past summer driving a rental with Alberta plates and wasn't sure what to expect but AFAICT if no one noticed whether it was because they all had their own lives or because it was an expensive buggy I dunno.

Xenophobia

More or less universal human trait I reckon. The danger always comes from outside, "we" are never the problem. The Haida tried to shut out the world last summer and then brought infection back with them from Rupert. People were keying vehicles with AB plates or US plates without knowing anything about the owners - in some cases they're lifelong BC residents with out of province work situations.

Othering is a potent force and rarely does it work for good. Nationalism is one facet and it shows well during Olympics, but can turn very ugly at times, even to the level of lethality. The now ex president understood othering very well indeed and used it as his route to power.

I do fundamentally agree, but keep in mind that the people in some of the smaller and more remote villages worry because they feel that their chances of coping with an outbreak are not as good as the more populated areas - no ventilators or respirators within hundreds of km.

Canada is now 29th in vaccinations per capita, Pretty sad display by our government.
You know, one thing I find a little strange about the whole vaccine rollout here - and I'll admit that although I've seen us dropping from 12th or so to 20th to about 30th, I haven't actually looked to see how many of the countries ahead of us have populations the size of a large wedding. Maybe most of the people beating us, are beating us because they just rolled the vaccines off a UPS truck, shot everybody in town up, and were done, I don't know. Obviously there's Israel and the US who have legitimate major wins here but I don't really know how many of the others are G20 nations and that would make a big difference.

But what I think shouldn't make much of a difference is the size of Canada, which I keep hearing people cite as a reason it's going slowly.

Our population is, by and large, like 20 minutes from the US border. Our urban population is over 80% of the country. You can fly a plane from Toronto to Vancouver in a few hours. Or to St. John or Halifax or Edmonton. There are really only a handful of major cities and they're all easy to reach by air. The size should be basically no obstacle to four fifths of the population, and that's such a large share that we should really be one of the easier places to vaccinate. The top 7 cities would be half the population. The top 15 cities would be 22 million people, out of 38 million.

You do the top hundred and you're down to places with around 20,000 people. Canada LOOKS really spread out, but most of it's basically empty. For good or for bad, it's mostly a collection of cities now. There shouldn't be a fundamental reason that a vaccination program couldn't be conducted similarly here to a country with what, on paper, looks a lot more densely populated. In reality, the Canadian population is pretty packed in, to not very many places. We shouldn't be hard to reach, we should actually be pretty easy.

I do fundamentally agree, but keep in mind that the people in some of the smaller and more remote villages worry because they feel that their chances of coping with an outbreak are not as good as the more populated areas - no ventilators or respirators within hundreds of km.
Without being dismissive of the distress felt by families of covid patients, the residents of small communities already travel far from home for everything but the most basic medical care anyway.

Without being dismissive of the distress felt by families of covid patients, the residents of small communities already travel far from home for everything but the most basic medical care anyway

Without being dismissive of the distress felt by families of covid patients, the residents of small communities already travel far from home for everything but the most basic medical care anyway.
What is your point?

What is your point?
That the small communities' fears of the overrun of their health care facilities haven't been thought through. If the community lacks a hospital then anyone sick or injured enough to require hospitalisation or a ventilator will be moved to the nearest available facility. Small town hospitals and health centres don't have facilities for infectious diseases whether it's covid or hepatitis or anything else.

That the small communities' fears of the overrun of their health care facilities haven't been thought through. If the community lacks a hospital then anyone sick or injured enough to require hospitalisation or a ventilator will be moved to the nearest available facility. Small town hospitals and health centres don't have facilities for infectious diseases whether it's covid or hepatitis or anything else.

Thus verifying and supporting Enniberg's post of last Tuesday...

Nog

Canada the only G7 country to take vaccines from fund that helps developing countries​

Canada is the only Group of Seven country to draw on a supply of COVID-19 vaccines meant primarily for developing countries, leading to fresh charges of hoarding against a country that is already a world leader in vaccine purchases per capita.

The COVAX program pools funds from wealthier countries to help buy vaccines for themselves and for 92 low- and middle-income countries that can’t afford to buy on their own.

The vast majority of countries receiving the first vaccine shipments from COVAX are low- and middle-income countries, according to information released Wednesday by Gavi, the vaccine alliance that is co-ordinating the program.

Not a good look.
But I heard that we will have domestic vaccine production in time for Covid-23.

Yep. If it sticks around long enough for them to build the building, supply it, and get government approval for their vaccine...
Say 2022 or 3 or so...

FAR too little. This government is getting panicky over country wide concerns that they are failing in this mission. And it is starting to show daily, with new announcements designed to try and smooth ruffled feathers.

What is needed is a real (as apposed to make believe "but we ordered it") vaccines getting into Canadian arms. Pronto.

Nog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back