All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Viruses don't necessarily mutate into a more virulent form quite the opposite in fact- a virus that kills it's host doesn't survive long does it?
It can go either way with viruses, DB. It can also go both ways at the same time with divergent mutations. That's common and what I believe we are seeing now.

There is also differences between infectivity verses virulence. These are different effects.

Yes there is the odd young person that has died from covid. Not very many . Most had other issues as well. I’m not saying it isn’t real or isn’t something to pay attention too. I believe care homes , hospitals and people with health issues should take it very serious. I just don’t believe everyone should all be in hiding , stressed about this virus. The numbers I have seen show that it’s not a huge concern for healthy people under the age of 60. Under 45 in particular is an extremely low percentage of total deaths.

Thunder21 your 100% correct.

7,800,000,000 people in this world. How
many young people die each day from
lightning? Probably more than covid.

This congressman elect could have died of a drug over dose for all we know.

It was a heart attack resulting from some sort of surgery he went throigh

Posts like this need to be removed.
Totally irresponsible!!!
Fact .....
"While in the ICU, Letlow received the antiviral drug remdesivir and steroids. Dr. G.E. Ghali of LSU Health Shreveport said that Letlow did not have any health problems that would have made him more vulnerable to the coronavirus. “He had no underlying conditions,” Ghali said. “It was just COVID.” On Tuesday, Ghali said Letlow suffered a cardiac event and could not be resuscitated."

Totally irresponsible!!!
Fact .....
"While in the ICU, Letlow received the antiviral drug remdesivir and steroids. Dr. G.E. Ghali of LSU Health Shreveport said that Letlow did not have any health problems that would have made him more vulnerable to the coronavirus. “He had no underlying conditions,” Ghali said. “It was just COVID.” On Tuesday, Ghali said Letlow suffered a cardiac event and could not be resuscitated."

no they should remain. Whether you agree with them or not people have the right to make up their own minds and do their own research. Steroid injections (I dont mean to get jacked haha) it heart conditions (known or unknown) can lead to cardiac events. This situation may not of been that but it has occurred. Probably not but never know.
Fair comment it is very very very rare for anyone healthy to even get super sick, never mind, die from COVID. The numbers are indisputable on that really.

Totally irresponsible!!!
Fact .....

Look I had my cousin die in our family from COVID. It is pretty hard reading these comments, but sometimes it's better to just take the high road/ignore. These people posting already made up their minds on the second page way back. Can't take them seriously honestly.

The lack of comments from people over 60 on here speaks volumes. All I can say.

Last edited:
Yes, know the history pretty well, from Edward Jenner to the last natural case (of Variola major) in Bangladesh in 1975. Studied it in my Biochem/Microbiology undergrad; my wife wrote her Master's thesis and did lab work on Poxviruses, specifically Monkeypox, and now works at Pfizer in the regulatory group (one of her team members wrote the emergency use authorization for the vaccine for the FDA).

For a number of reasons it will be much harder to eradicate a coronavirus through vaccination than a poxvirus. Completely different biology between the two, not to mention the political / social reasons (radical religious groups, anti-vaxxers, etc.) that would have to be overcome. The eradication of smallpox was probably the greatest public health accomplishment of the 20th century - all for an estimated cost of US$300 million. However, about 1 in 1,000 had severe reactions after being inoculated with an estimated 1 to 2 out of every million having a fatal reaction. That may seem high, but was an acceptable risk given that it was lethal in about 30% of cases and those who survived typically had debilitating scarring.

Personally, I think it is more likely that we'll have to get regular (annual, or every several years), vaccinations for COVID as the virus mutates over time. Also still unclear how long the immunity provided by the vaccine will last and it would be reasonable to assume that booster shots will be needed over time. Unfortunately the genie is out of the bottle so to speak, so it will be impossible to stop its transmission now and eradicate it. Happy to be proved wrong though!
I would like to read more from this member @CBsqrd . Much more qualified along with his wife than the rest of us. It’s objective education I need rather than baseless opinions.

No vaccine for me. I’m not anti vax or anti mask. I have been following the rules as best as possible but I do not believe when looking at the numbers we should be locked down at all. Care homes and hospitals should be very careful with this virus but the general population below 60 doesn’t have a whole lot to worry about in my opinion. This may be a unpopular opinion but it seems all we are doing at this point is saving old, generally unhealthy people and trading those deaths for younger people by way of suicide, substance abuse, overdoses and physical abuse etc. Not to mention the rough path ahead for many people who have lost businesses and will lose their wives, kids, houses etc. The fallout from these lockdowns hasn’t hit yet and when it’s all said and done I bet the numbers will show that these shutdowns were a very bad call.
Yes you're right that the under 60 age group is much less likely to get severe symptoms. We'll set aside the moral issue you raised about allowing older citizens to die.

You're missing one critical thing: if we lift restrictions, the new cases will grow exponentially. If the doubling rate goes to 7 days - which it did here in March/April - in just a month of unchecked growth BC would be seeing 10,000 new cases a day - over 20 times what we have now. The hospital system by then will be over capacity with COVID alone. At that point mortality in the under 65 age group will be substantial, since such large numbers of cases will cause that tiny proportion of deaths in younger people to become a substantial number. Health professionals will be faced with hideous decisions about who gets a bed or a ventilator - they will have to send many very sick people home to literally live or die on their own resources. Please don't dismiss this as an uneducated punter forecasting doom and gloom: it actually happened in northern Italy, New York City, Iran and Wuhan. Very early days with an unknown new virus, case counts grew so fast they were doubling every 3-4 days and the system was swamped before social restrictions could take effect.

It goes further. Scheduled surgeries would be put on hold to make room for COVID patients, and we saw the consequences of that - including premature deaths unconnected to COVID - back in April/May in BC. There would be few beds available to handle motor vehicle accidents, workplace injuries or any other injury sustained by normal healthy people out hiking, skiing, sledding, fishing, skating, playing sports. There will be appeals from health authorities for people to carefully consider their recreational choices so as not to place additional strain on health services. Remember this all happened right here in BC. The people listened to the experts and restricted their social contacts, and the exponential case growth slowed, stopped and finally dropped.

Our society during the pandemic is like someone living with bipolar disorder or clinical depression: we only feel OK as long as we keep taking the medication. Yes, the medication might be an annoyance with some unpleasant side effects, but if we decide that since we're feeling OK we can stop taking the medication, much larger problems will return very quickly.

How
I have at the start I thought that it was not that more deadly then the flu boy was I wrong on that one.

I’ve also changed many habits lots of changing for me

Personally I haven‘t. From the start we took this serious in our home and work place. We started using sanitizers from the start and continue to. I had no problem when masks became mandator my wife was using them a while back. You have to take precaution.

But what I do have a problem with is these lock downs and closures of some services and conveniences and not others. I have problems with restrictions like family get togethers. I have issues with the way the COVID deaths are reported, we all know in a lot of cases it’s blown out of proportion. I have problems with government control and governments not being honest. Don’t treat me like a fool or an idiot just be honest with me and I’ll treat you the same. I have an issue with this being called a pandemic when in reality it’s not, yes it’s bad but when 99.4% of people that contract it don’t die from it to me that’s not a pandemic. The Spanish Flu, Small Pox, diseases that killed the majority of people that contracted them those are pandemics this is not. And it could have been controlled a lot better if governments would have released information they have had about boosting your immune system. If they would listen to a lot of experts out there that have been saying to boost up the elderly immune systems with D3. It’s been proven it works. But no, there’s no drama in that, there’s no control in that, there’s no money to be made or controlled in that. Time and time again I talk with people who have been in close conversations with people who have had it and in most of those instances those people showed no more signs or illness than a bad cold. This does not constitute a pandemic and the mass shut downs of our economies as we’ve seen. It does not constitute the disruptions we are experiencing. It’s mass hysteria and governments being to scared to just be honest and settle things down some. But those are just the times we live in, people are fragile, everything scares everybody, the sky always has to be falling on something or the masses have no cause to rally behind. And governments are all to ready to rally behind it all and save us all from ourselves cause we all know that governments are trust worthy and honest and have the people’s best interests in mind at all times.

Last edited:
I have at the start I thought that it was not that more deadly then the flu boy was I wrong on that one.

I’ve also changed many habits lots of changing for me
If i hadn't experienced several people get infected with some passing away fairly early into the pandemic i may haven't taken it so seriously like many others.

I haven't been following this thread but read this page and just like other public online spaces many people are calling this a big poo-poo. A good friend just lost his 72 year old aunt to Covid. Her niece had her fiance visit from his Alberta oil patch job. The family got together for a dinner and social night. He had no symptoms. 11 people ended up with Covid in the next week or so and his aunt ended up in hospital and eventually passed from it. He developed symptoms shortly after the family dinner but it was already to late. Imagine how he and how you would feel!!! ******. All I can say is this won't last forever and the end now does have an end in sight. And for those of the younger crowd...remember the next virus may be devastating to the young and do nothing to older folks other than make them transmitters to you...how they behave depends on what you do now.

Surprised how no one has gotten into how Bonnie Henry absolutely blind sided the restaurant industry. Sad really. Know a few restaurants that had a countdown planned for 10 and now had to cancel that as majority of their reservations cancelled. Also buddy is in line at kiquor store as we speak. He’s been in it for 25 MINUTES!!!! All it did was cramp people in a smaller time frame and space. Dumb decision. Also know of people who are having A handful of people over tonight now instead of dinner out. Just plain stupid dumb policy making. Naive actually

Surprised how no one has gotten into how Bonnie Henry absolutely blind sided the restaurant industry. Sad really. Know a few restaurants that had a countdown planned for 10 and now had to cancel that as majority of their reservations cancelled. Also buddy is in line at kiquor store as we speak. He’s been in it for 25 MINUTES!!!! All it did was cramp people in a smaller time frame and space. Dumb decision. Also know of people who are having A handful of people over tonight now instead of dinner out. Just plain stupid dumb policy making. Naive actually

I agree this was haphazard and late. Unfortunate for couples that booked an 8 o'clock reservation. I have great amount sympathy for the hospitality industry. Really been one of the hardest hit by all of this.

A little less sympathy for people that just want to party though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back