Alexanda Morton bought Farmed Salmon at Campbell River Superstore and she found this.

FishBC.org

I got 13 fish in the 2 to 4 lb range and all had rotting gills . They also had a very different brain then anything I had seen, a spongy growth had grown around them that had to be removed before the brain could be exposed.

as1.jpg

I could say more about this experience but just wanted to point out some things that I found concerning. Especially since we learned from Laura Richards (Head of DFO Pacific Region) that no specific person is tasked with reading the disease records from the salmon farm feedlots.

as2.jpg

In addition this one had a bright yellow spot on its brain as well.

as3.jpg

Recently I bought some "fresh" Atlantic Farmed Salmon from Superstore. Althought the fish had an expiry date 5 days from my purchase their gills were rotting so bad. When I saw these gills I immediately thought of the fish I had seen in the river especially in the pattern

as4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The general public is in danger of eating what they have been eating every day for decades. Have they eaten at a fast food place? Have they eaten meat from any of the big grocery stores? Have they eaten ANY processed food? It's all crap. All this stuff is crap period. Have they eaten hydrogenated margarine(or should I say plastic)?

Don't get me wrong I am not defending anything or anyone by my post. I am just saying there is alot of dangerous stuff out there to eat. This kind of lack of quality control goes on with all the major super markets.

I would like to see a side by side comparison (farmed and wild) for the extended time frame.

Me too.. Pretty soon I might just quit eating anything lol.

All I was getting at .org was how do wild salmon look after a while sitting in the super market? How do their gills look and brains look?. I wouldn't know.

Good question. Makes me want to flash freeze one, wrap it, throw it in the fridge for 5 days, cut it open and have a look.
Good thought. Who knows? Could be comparable?

So what about Franenfish that the US just approved for food...so what about Franenfish that the US just approved for food??

Wonder why IPHC, Tuna and Salmon are on the block this year for Canada - could farms be the political issue, oh, and what about Frankenfish just approved by USA for food purpose? Hhhmmm??

DHA.

...just evaluate what the commercial sector is going through this year with international species to wonder why or what?

DHA.

The general public and the export markets (especially the US) needs to see this. People will start to think twice before eating these sick creatures!

Shutting down the market demand is the best way to get rid of the lice farms in our waters. Nothing influences polluting industries and the corrupt politicians that support them like changing consumer demand. They all follow the money trail.

The general public and the export markets (especially the US) needs to see this. People will start to think twice before eating these sick creatures!

Shutting down the market demand is the best way to get rid of the lice farms in our waters. Nothing influences polluting industries and the corrupt politicians that support them like changing consumer demand. They all follow the money trail.

So very true indeed.

Mad Cow disease shut down Canadian beef exports to many countries around the world in the blink of an eye, and to my reccollection i still can't remeber how definitive the results were from the tests for the mad cow disease, it was more just the idea that there was the possibility that the animals had mad cow disease that scared everyone away.

This crap that these fish farmers are growing and selling to the world is crap pure and simple. How many fish farmers eat their own fish???? I know that I wll never eat salmon at a restaurant, because there is no way for me to absolutely know that it is definately NOT from a fish farm. I refuse to eat the fish farmers crap and 100% disagree with their methods of raising the fish, their lack of morals around the fish farming industry, and personally will never supoport their industry until all of the farms are out of our waters and in dryland farms (tank farms).

I agree, best way to shut em down is take away their market. I can't imagine eating those "things" coming from the fish farmers. If only this kind of thing could be publicized widely in the US, can't see anyone wanting to eat that ****.

These fish are gross. Gotta wonder why Superstore is selling these "undersized" farmed Atlantics in the round? Normally the farmers sell 5kg. Headed and gutted fish or or else fillets. I doubt if they sell this crap anywhere else.
Maybe they figure all B.C. deserves is their sh*t?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta wonder why Superstore is selling these "undersized" farmed Atlantics in the round? Normally the farmers sell 5kg. Headed and gutted fish or or else fillets.

agreed Cuttlefish

Perhaps they had to cull their farm due to too many morts.
Maybe a round of testing was scheduled so they cleaned house before DFO shows up.
May as well dump their crap on the BC market as it is proven that we will accept it.

GLG

Fast food and junk food exists because people buy it. Watch the doc "Food Inc."
As long as there is customer demand they will make it.
As long as it sells they will make it.

If everyone retaliates by never buying it....they will not make it and sell it.

The problem isn't that they make it......the problem is that WE buy it.

Customer demand (or lack of) is the ultimate tool to control what they make and sell.

Wouldn't get too excited about that yet...could be the fish was rotting because of how/when it was processed. Not trying to defend Fish Farms, just want us to be sure about what we are seeing there. Was there some analysis of what that is exactly, and how that compares to a similar comparative sample of wild salmon? One thing is for certain, those fish were poorly processed. Not a good marketing moment for the Fish Farming Industry - they ain't helping themselves one bit.

That un heard of, try and slip a trolled princess dressed salmon to the public through the proper chanels with the gills in and see what kind of red tape you have to deal with. Also everyone who reads this, and is down town CR near Superstore needs to physically have a look for themselves. A simple conversation with the owner/manager will go along way.

Fishbc:
Where did you find this article? I am on Alexadra's mailing list and cannot find it. My 11 yr old is doing a paper on the pro's and con's of fishfarms for school.

Back