Alex strikes again!

Keep the heat on them. Maybe the stores will decide that farmed salmon are just too much trouble to bother with.
Thanks for posting.

Good news. However the article has some weird stats.

It says this

"When an image was posted to the Sobeys Facebook page on Wednesday the company responded by removing all whole salmon from all 84 of its Maritime stores. "

Then it says

"Thompson said an approximate total of 84 fish were removed from the shelves. "

What, just one fish per store?? Bad reporting and /or editing.........

This exemplifies the mentality of individuals buying farmed salmon - somebody "observed" sea lice on a piece of packaged salmon and rung the bell. Wow.

They probably think it is manufactured from a press in a plant somewhere. Healthly Omega 3's...

The salmon farmers are marketing to Jersey Shore types and, unfortunately, the demographic today supports this approach.

This is kinda a funny thread. Anyone knows that sea lice is normal on wild salmon in fact I see way more sea lice on wild salmon I catch than than on farm fish I see. And the fish I see regularly never see slice or meds.(thats another story). Sometimes even I miss cleaning off the sealice and find them during cooking preparation on my hatchery/wild fish. Its normal normal normal! Just goes to show the misinformation tactics used by morton. Did she really use the term "sea lice infection"? Between morton and the press it is understandable why so many people are confused.
It should be interesting how Sobey's final response is to this situation. I can't wait to see the outcome.

Any input to the 1st. recall, which is made mention too in the later part of the artical?

"Environmental concerns about farmed salmon were raised earlier this year in Nova Scotia when Cooke Aquaculture was forced to destroy hundreds of thousands of salmon after an outbreak of salmon anemia."

Any input to the 1st. recall, which is made mention too in the later part of the artical?

"Environmental concerns about farmed salmon were raised earlier this year in Nova Scotia when Cooke Aquaculture was forced to destroy hundreds of thousands of salmon after an outbreak of salmon anemia."

There is only one recall mentioned in the article.

She said the company has not determined whether there is in fact a problem with sea lice on the farmed Atlantic salmon it sells.

Ya there is a problem. There not nice to look at. Who wants bugs on there food!!! Processing issue, period.

This was kindof a phony reason to recall. It could have just as easily been wild salmon that had sea lice left on it during processing. Most people in the general public have no idea what sea lice are but are rightly disgusted to find parasites in their food.

The one positive that I see in this is that maybe now there will be more public discussion of sea lice and more people will know what they are. Eventually, more people will learn about how fish farms increase the spread of these parasites and there may be more drive to get them out of our oceans.

That's a great start. Hopefully the pressure will stay on them.
The sooner there are no more farms in the water, the better. If its not profitable on land, then too bad! Go home!

hmmm.....all the sealice I usually see are clustered around the butt-hole of the salmon.

Do they package pieces of salmon butt-hole for consumers now?

If I'm shopping for some store-bought salmon I would avoid the pieces that have been carved from the anus.

Unless it was a whole salmon......then I'd ask them to cut the butt-hole and sealice off before I bought it.

I'd also ask them to put up a sign that says "Sea-lice infested butt-holes included with the salmon here"...but that would lead everybody to think they'd get a free fisheries minister with their purchase.

I'd also ask them to put up a sign that says "Sea-lice infested butt-holes included with the salmon here"...but that would lead everybody to think they'd get a free fisheries minister with their purchase.

That's hilareous! rothfl my butt off! For anyone that takes a fish, let's throw in the PM as well.

on catching thousands of bc salmon in my life i never seen one with sea lice inside their gill covers; definately a farmed salmon issue

Here's the picture. Gross! I would NOT eat a fish that looked like this.

attachment.php

Attachments

• sea lice sobeys.jpg
    sea lice sobeys.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 59
Morton does seem to have a knack for finding poorly processed salmon. Who here would even consider buying a salmon, wild or farmed, that had it's gills intact? Sure theyr'e farmed Atlantics so to some are therefor bad, but this plainly is a processing issue.

From what I understand this is an east coast farmed salmon which suggest to me that correlations made with pacific should be done with a grain of salt. I have never seen that here either farmed or wild. More photo's of the fish may tell more of the story. It doesn't matter to me where the sea lice are on a fish. Lice is lice. I have caught wild coho that were covered in lice. I did that fish a favor and ate it without the fear that is being portrayed here. Whatever pops your corn i guess. lol

A response to a customer on Sobey's Facebook Page:

Customer:
[h=5]I would like to know what the saftey concerns are that made Sobey's pull farmed salmon from display cases.[/h]
Sobey's: there is no food safety concern with any salmon, but we are investigating a potential quality concern. We have voluntarily removed whole Atlantic salmon from our seafood cases in response to a claim that a common pest that affects salmon was found on the skin of a whole fish. We have taken this action as a precautionary measure as we take very seriously any question regarding the quality of the food offered in our stores, and as such took this voluntary action. We are looking into this potential issue and closely reviewing every step in the quality control process. We have no quality concerns with filets and portions. And we have no food safety concerns with any salmon product we offer. Your satisfaction with your purchase is what counts. We will be happy to provide a refund for product returned to the store. If you do have any further questions, you may contact us directly at customer.service@sobeys.com

Customer: Thank you very much for the fast reply. I am very impressed! I enjoy shopping at Sobeys, keep up the good work.

hmmm.....all the sealice I usually see are clustered around the butt-hole of the salmon.

Do they package pieces of salmon butt-hole for consumers now?

If I'm shopping for some store-bought salmon I would avoid the pieces that have been carved from the anus.

Unless it was a whole salmon......then I'd ask them to cut the butt-hole and sealice off before I bought it.

Would there be a extra charge for that i wonder

Back