Alex: Standing with the Dzawada’enuxw

Little Hawk

Hello

Just before the Cohen Report came out, the Province of BC granted a 20 tenure to a new salmon feedlot in Clayoquot Sound. The First Nation at the head of Kingcome Inlet is taking a stand against the renewal of 17 salmon feedlot tenures in their territory.

Justice Cohen recommends no more than single year licenses and a change of criteria to protect wild fish migration routes.
Today, there is no physical way a wild fish can reach Kingcome Inlet without swimming through the effluent of salmon feedlots.

There is a petition that can be signed at the link below (10,679 people have signed) and we will stand in front of Premier Clark's office at 3615 West 4th Avenue, Vancouver on Wednesday, November 14 at 12 noon to give her the opportunity to understand the issue.

Standing with the Dzawada’enuxw <http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/alexandra_morton/2012/11/why-i-am-standing-with-signs.html>

Have to say that I made the previous post before I went on to sign the petition. When I did, I wasn't comfortable with disclosing my personal information to receive 'periodic updates' from these outfits of which I know nothing about. (you have to scroll way down the page to find it)

Truth is: I generally support all of Alex's requests for help, but this one somehow seems a little ambiguous.

If anyone can enlighten me here or share any experiances with this sort of stuff, I'd be much obliged.

Like all petitions, in order for you to be counted as a real person you have to disclose some personal info. As far as periodic.updates. every once in a whole you will get an email saying " this group has a petition do you wany to sign it?" At that point you can opt.out of thier mailing list to never be sent a request again.

Have to say that I made the previous post before I went on to sign the petition. When I did, I wasn't comfortable with disclosing my personal information to receive 'periodic updates' from these outfits of which I know nothing about. (you have to scroll way down the page to find it)

Truth is: I generally support all of Alex's requests for help, but this one somehow seems a little ambiguous.

If anyone can enlighten me here or share any experiances with this sort of stuff, I'd be much obliged.

Little Hawk and Cuba Libre,

I am not quite sure what you both are getting at. The petition seems quite clear....do not renew any more salmon feed lot leases in this area. Or at all in fact. We have considerable support for that from Cohen report with regard to feed lots on salmon migration routes.

Regarding leaving your name and address. You have to do that for on line (or any) petitions to prevent fraudulent completion of petitions. Otherwise anyone could claim thousands of signatures on any issue they liked and nothing could be verified.

I assume you have signed these kinds of things before and would know that part.

Change.org is a site that enables the quick set up and management of petitions on a multitude of subjects. Alex is using their services for rapid petition set up and signature collection. She is a damn busy lady and cannot do all this herself!!

I did not see any "periodic update" question when I signed. However, if you do get any e-mails from Change.org you can delete them or unsubscribe if you wish. Personally I don't mind receiving these e-mails. There are many similar issues round the world and I sometimes sign those too, just as I would hope people from Peru and Chile might sign our anti-feed lot petitions in view of the fact that the heart is being ripped out of their ecosystems as small fish, which could feed humans directly anyway, are strip mined to make pellets to feed salmon in our feed lots!

Lots of these issues are global and Change.org has that kind of reach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay Roland, I get your angle on this and yes I have signed on to petitions before. I guess my balking on this was prompted more so by my latent wariness about signing on with an organization, or in this case what I perceived to be an organization rather than a petition engine - Change.org - that I knew nothing about.

I try to keep spam to a dull-roar on my computer and would only endorse something I was clear on.

Thanks for clarifying just the same.

Back