Alex leaving CAAR!

Little Hawk

This whole mess with WWF sanctioning net-pen fishfarming has me more than a little pissed. Why are they getting into bed with the Norwegians?

What they are essentially saying here is that it's okay to poison our environment and kill our wild salmon, just see if you can slow down the process a little.

Bravo Alex!

By Steven Hedlund, SeafoodSource editor
> 18 May, 2011 - Anti-farmed salmon activist and Raincoast Research founder Alexandra Morton is rescinding her support for the Coastal Alliance for Aquaculture Reform (CAAR) due to its involvement in the World Wildlife Fund-led Salmon Aquaculture Dialogue, which is developing salmon-farming standards.
>
>
> CAAR is one of several members of the dialogue’s steering committee, in addition to the Pew Environment Group, Norwegian Seafood Federation, SalmonChile, Salmon of the Americas, Marine Harvest and Skretting. The committee is in the final stage of creating standards to address the key environmental and social impacts associated with salmon farming while maintaining the industry’s economic viability.
>
> But Morton, an advocate of British Columbia’s wild salmon populations, opposes the certification of Norwegian salmon farms, which she describes as “feedlots.”
>
> “I understand the temptation to negotiate with the Norwegian [farmed salmon] industry, but I think they have changed you more than you have changed them,” said Morton, one of CAAR’s founders, in a letter to the organization on Tuesday (the letter is posted on her website). “They do not deserve your support. Recent media suggests this industry has not exhibited basic social or biological responsibility, putting the North Pacific at enormous risk.”
> Many of British Columbia’s salmon farms are owned by Norwegian companies.
>
> “The Norwegian CEOs tell me they have to keep growing to survive. With all the problems they have heaped on us already, where does their expansion push us? If you certify them they will grow relentlessly,” added Morton.
>
> “I know you started with pure intentions, but please remove Raincoast Research from you supporters page or step away from the World Wildlife Fund’s certification that will seal the demise of wild Canadian salmon,” she concluded.
>
> CAAR’s members include the David Suzuki Foundation, Georgia Strait Alliance, Living Oceans Society, T. Buck Suzuki Environmental Foundation and Watershed Watch Salmon Society. The organization is based in British Columbia.

Thank goodness that SOMEONE has the guts to call it like it is..... disgusting

May I suggest reading Alex's actual letter? It is here:
http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/alexandra_morton/2011/05/dear-caar.html

Then may I also suggest opening the links she provided? Starting here, the Canadian government wants to label net-cage farmed salmon "organic." and have that blessed by World Wildlife Foundation? Well, I think if you follow those links unless, one signs that petition before May 31 that very much WILL happen! The petition here, I think you might want to sign it:
http://www.farmedanddangerous.org/

Here is what I see happening. If you go to World Wildlife Foundation website, under Global Markets you will see this: "WWF is working with stakeholders worldwide to create an eco-label for farmed seafood so consumers know which seafood is healthy for them and the environment. The first step to achieve this is the development of science-based standards that minimize or eliminate the key environmental and social impacts related to aquaculture."

WWF is actually good organization, with a good reputation. I actually believe in their work for the most part; however, as I dig into this particular issue here is the problem: "WWF seeks to address these impacts through the Salmon Aquaculture Dialogue, which is managed by a nine-person Steering Committee."

Salmon Aquaculture Dialogue "Steering Committee": and let me highlight some of those names for you, with one comment - Majority Rules!
Jay Ritchlin: Coastal Alliance for Aquaculture Reform
Trygve Berg Lea: Skretting [Fish food]
Rodrigo Infante: SalmonChile
Hernan Frigolett: Fundación Terram [sustainable development of Chile]
Mary Ellen Walling: Canadian Aquaculture Industry Alliance
Petter Arnesen: Marine Harvest
Kjell Maroni: Norwegian Seafood Federation
Andrea Kavanagh: Pew Environment Group
Jose Villalon: World Wildlife Fund
http://www.worldwildlife.org/what/globalmarkets/aquaculture/WWFBinaryitem17499.pdf

Enough said there... unless something is done your Atlantic netpen farmed fish are going to be listed by WWF as "organic"! :eek:

Now look at her other links. This is QUITE DISTURBING!

Mr. McDade wrote that in combing through that vast volume of material, Ms. Morton came across “indications” a disease known as infectious salmon anemia virus, or ISA, may have been detected in fish samples tested by provincial government labs. The suggestion is the symptoms of the disease were detected, but not the disease itself, which has never been reported on the West Coast. ISA can be lethal to Atlantic salmon, but Pacific salmon have proved immune to it in tests. The concern is that if the disease were present, it could change and begin to kill Pacific stocks.

“Canada and Canadians are obliged to report diseases of aquatic animals as a member of the World Organization for Animal Health,” Mr. McDade wrote. There are approximately 35 indications of the existence of ISA identified in these records to date,” he wrote. “Of great biological concern is that some of these diagnoses are in Pacific salmon, suggesting potential spread of a novel and virulent virus into native populations may be underway into the North Pacific. "

He asked that Ms. Morton be released from her undertaking so she can report her ISA concerns to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

“There is a very substantial public interest in ensuring full reporting of ISA indications. An ISA epidemic could prove devastating to wild salmon stocks. In our submission the public interest in proper reporting must outweigh the interest in confidentiality,” Mr. McDade wrote.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/cohen-called-on-to-release-information-on-salmon-virus/article2009104/?utm_medium=Feeds:%20RSS/Atom&utm_source=National&utm_content=2009104

http://www.nsnews.com/health/Fishy+commission+blackout/4763990/story.html

So, if I have this right... Alex has evidence that the fish farms have imported ISA to BC and the westcoast! If that does spread - it very well could wipe out ALL our wild salmon and Canada will not let her discuss or release that information! I guess the only thing I can say there is... WTF!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Charlie, another great post as usual from you.

This virus has pretty much followed the industry around the globe and is but one of the serious problems with it.
Some have labeled me a 'looney-toon' for joining the uproar against this industry over 10 yrs ago.

When our west-coast fishery ends up like the east-coast fishery and it's determined once and for all that the Norwegian salmon-farmers and our own 'bought & paid-for' collusive politicians played the major role in the downfall of Pacific salmon, what good will finger-pointing do then?

Moreover, how will we answer our children when they ask, "Why didn't you do something Dad?"

I say the West Coast Fishermen - both the Commies' & Sporties' - need to organize a potent new offensive to rid our precious coastline of this scourge once and for all!

I've always been puzzled why Alaska especially and the other pacific states don't seem concerned with this virus since the potential is there to wipe out their salmon as well.

I say this because they are the only ones who can stop this madness. If left to Canada our salmon will go the same way as our east coast cod.

The wild salmon is a thorn in the salmon farmer's backside, the sooner they are eliminated , the sooner they can get on with business! I am sure this is the way it is.

Alex is the power and has the fortitude to direct change; Alex can do this. Her stand is paramount the change necessary and mandatory. Without her, there is nothing, no one else will do it!

Ding Dong!

"I say the West Coast Fishermen - both the Commies' & Sporties' - need to organize a potent new offensive to rid our precious coastline of this scourge once and for all! "

Me too Little Hawk; totally agree. How do you propose we organise an offensive as you suggest? Do we work through Alex's organisation and support that or do something different?

Not sure at this juncture English. The only thing I am sure about is that any credible offensive against the industry and government (as they are one) must not be organized here on an internet forum or via emails. When I initiated the formation of the WSA a couple of years back (to fight the salmon farmers), my posts here on the topic and my personal emails were monitored by the RCMP. In an effort to silence me, they (government and or the industry) had me investigated for allegedly making bomb-threats against offices of the DFO (3 of them). In the end they accused me and only an air-tight alibi silenced their bogus accusations.

Regardless that I (and others) had worked hard to build the WSA into a credible force (we had over 300/members in Canada, the US, and Europe, a website, a bank account, and official Society status) this move by the opposition to have me accused of this crime - along with my propensity to shoot my mouth off at times - was sufficient to cause 95% of the membership to bail. The WSA remains in limbo and I'm not sure if our society status is intact.

I have no plans or direction at this moment as far as my opposition to this deplorable industry goes; only that I intend to stay at it and try to make a difference.

I have absolutely no-confidence in my governments capacity to ensure the long-term sustainability and survival of Pacific salmon. NONE!

I support Alex 100% and have contributed money to her cause, regardless I didn't have much. I have met her in person - at a 3 day salmon-farming conference - and I can assure you she is the 'Real Deal'. She, along with many others (myself among them) have been researching, writing about and opposing this 'ecological tragedy in the works' for over a decade. For any of you who view her as just another granola-munching 'fish-hugger', I'd encourage you to dig a little deeper.

As far as Ding Dongs assertion goes that "...no one else will do it.", (other than Alex) that remains to be seen. So far, countless millions of tons of raw-sewage being dumped into our pristine waterways 24/7 along with the ongoing release of alien fish, diseases & parasites into our waterways has not motivated a sufficient opposition against this Norwegian spawned ecological catastrophe. Perhaps when ISA finally mutates and gains a foothold here in the North East Pacific and our Pacific salmon begin to evaporate from the face of the earth - like rain from a puddle on a hot day - then people will finally accept and see this business for what it really is and rise in force against our collusive government to have the industry tossed.

Trouble is, by then it will be too late, not just for us , but also for FN, Orca's, Bears, Eagles, Wolves, Otter's, and more than 200 other species of mammals and birds whose very survival depends on our Great Fishes.

There has been an ISA outbreak everywhere around the world these farms have been. Norway, Scotland, New Brunswick, New Zealand, Chile. BC is next. It is not a question of if only when. When it does happen this problem will finally register on the American Political Radar Screen and they will hopefully force these farms out of our waters.

Back