Alex: Day 1 - on the Stand!

Little Hawk

For those that are interested here is a link to her blog
h ttp://alexandramorton.typepad.com/

"You see, Backman used to work for the Province, back when it had jurisdiction over aquaculture. More specifically, he was instrumental in selecting sites for fish farms on the coast. Then, in 2002, he went to work for the industry, ending up at Marine Harvest. Parker, on the other hand, worked for the industry up until recently, whereupon she transferred to government - specifically, designing aquaculture regulations under the new management regime of DFO (Morton and her lawyer Greg McDade forced this change of jurisdiction in 2009 with a landmark legal victory at the BC Supreme Court"

Does anyone else see a problem here? Especially, with Mia Parker – formerly Manager, Regulatory Affairs, Grieg Seafood BC Ltd? She was answering questions concerning the reporting of disease. Might I add, she did NOT do very well. 11:00 minutes into the recording of the testimony, these questions were asked (just after stating she held her postion as Manager at Regulatory Affairs at Grieg Seafood for four years.

Questions to Mia Parker:
Now you are at DFO? Answer: Yep!

Question: What’s your job at DFO... now? Answer: I work at Aquaculture Management Directorate as a Senior Policy Analyst.

Question you write policies… for aquaculture? Answer: Yes I do, primarily for the east coast of Canada.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/17128257

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember Parker's comments in Dec. 2009 at a public consultation meeting to the new Pacific Aquaculture Regulations in CR - "Fish farmers have obligations to their shareholders and therefore should be protected from disclosing diseases and fish health information." They must have liked her advice so much they offered her a job advising them on policy for the east coast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back