Alberni Sockeye

nature has always looked after itself... BUT I guess DFO knows better!

From Bob Cole

Hello media,
Just off the phone from an extra-ordinary meeting of the Area 23 Harvest committee and it has been decided that as optimum escapement targets have or are already met into both lake systems.
The commercial fishers have lobbied successfully for additional fisheries this week.
Our rec sector expressed our concerns and hopes that the long weekend warriors from all over would still have some success fishing Sockeye after another 70,000 to 90,000 are taken out on top of the 90,000 already taken this week.
So the plan, as I got it, is that the Area D Gill-net fleet of 60 to 70 boats will fish from 6 p.m. tonight through 6 a.m. Friday morning for 30,000ish Sockeye to catch the balance of this week's allocation and possibly more and the Area B seiners will fish from 4 p.m. Wednesday until midnight Thursday for 65,000 pieces or more if the run size estimate goes up Thursday at 1 p.m.
The gill-net fleet will fish from Pochahantas in, the first day, and the outside line will move in to Bilton Point the second day.
The dozen or so seiners are to stay inside Dunsmuir to start and possibly move out to Sproat Narrows after Thursday's meeting.
I recommend that rec fishers fish in Nahmint or below Pocahontas for best results before Sunday remembering that Nahmint closes at 12:00 a.m. Sunday August 1st. and Chup to Hocking also becomes non-retention of Chinook for the balance of the season.
Cheers,
Bob

62802394477903127812153.jpg

Update from Bob Cole..and a BIG thank you for working on this and trying to look after the sporties interests too.

"Hello All,
More bad news.
Just off a conference call and DFO has determined, in their wisdom, that the seiners should get another "kick at the cat" this week and will be fishing from Dunsmuir North from noon Wednesday until 6 p.m. Thursday or 60,000 Sockeye, whichever comes first.
They took 82,000 yesterday and today and the gill-netters took 36,000. They are supposed to be on a 60/40 split.
The few gill-netters still here are going to go again 6 p.m. Wednesday until 6a.m. Thursday and again at 6p.m. Thursday until 6a.m. Friday above Sproat Narrows.
We have been told that this should be the last we see of the seiners, but don't hold your breath. They will be asking for more next week or even this weekend at the Thursday 1 p.m. meeting/call.
Paul, Jake and I have expressed all of our concerns, over and over again, but they have a right to fish and in years of abundance, they often do a complete "clean up" fishery (see attached photos). So I guess we have made some progress.
The area South of Sproat Narrows to Hocking Point will now be exclusively recreational and some early Chinook are starting to show. The area below the Nahmint fin fish closure is non-retention of Chinook but open for Sockeye and Coho.
Tight lines,
Bob"
SockeyeSeineFishery1991AlberniInlet.jpg

91SnFisheryChinaCr.jpg

62802394477903127812153.jpg

Back