Alberni Derby

thanks Dad, I would like to think i learned from the best[8)]

Good on ya. Any word on day 2?

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

Anyone willing to post reports on the derby?
How was the fishing?
We know the weather got brutal on Saturday in the sound!
Smiley.

quote:Only 1,083 were weighed in through the three-day Salmon Festival, down significantly from previous years. The total weight of the fish was 11,464 lbs, or an average weight of 10.59 lbs per fish...

Of the 808 chinook caught, slightly more than half (411) were weighed in at the Green Cover Marina in Uchucklesit Inlet, while almost all of the 272 coho caught were weighed in at Clutesi.

The species numbers appear to be reversed ;)

Congratulations Corey on finding THE Needle In a Haystack! Long time coming, and no wonder you're Grinnin! [^]

Cheers,
Nog

What did you guys think of the derby overall in comparison to the last couple of years? I know it was wet and those fish were running, but what's your take from those guys who were out...?

A friend gave me an old BC sportsfishing Magazine from Oct. Nov 1991
Here are the Port Alberni Salmon Festival numbers from 1991 Derby...

4351 salmon caught
Total weight exceeded 71,000 lbs
Winning fish 54.5 lbs

Pretty sad state of affairs, with obvious mismanagement of this resource. Makes me wanna cry.:(

62802394477903127812153.jpg

In previous years in the derby, many derby participants and I have caught good share of springs. This year's derby was the worst I ever seen by people bringing in very few springs.[xx(]

I assume that Alberni DFO was trying to make sure that sportsfishermen not to catch any springs, giving to commerical sector only.:(

Or the weather and full moon triggered the salmon runs to go upstream right away.

Congratulations to this year derby's winners with their giant spring salmon![^]

Very sad results indeed. The worst derby for catching in my memory for sure. Biggest issue according to the DFO Officer I talked to was the long weekend was a full week later this year than in past years. I told him that I thought the prediction was completely wrong based on my fishing every day during the peak migration during the last 3 weeks of August. The fish simply are not there. We can only hope that the Fisheries Officer's decision to increase the run size prediction by 9000 fish to justify opening a commercial fishery was not motivated by political pressure to make up for the missing Fraser River Sockeye!!! I'm personally very doubtful that we will meet our 20,000 spawning escapement target. The only hope now is there are fish running late that arrive in October.

Nice work Corey, glad I steered clear of it. The N. Island was much better for us..dirty:D

Good on Corey i did some work with him on the nitnat and sarita hes a hardcore and good guy. That said when a top rod like him is only hitting one fish it must be damn slow!

quote:Originally posted by searun

Very sad results indeed. The worst derby for catching in my memory for sure. Biggest issue according to the DFO Officer I talked to was the long weekend was a full week later this year than in past years. I told him that I thought the prediction was completely wrong based on my fishing every day during the peak migration during the last 3 weeks of August. The fish simply are not there. We can only hope that the Fisheries Officer's decision to increase the run size prediction by 9000 fish to justify opening a commercial fishery was not motivated by political pressure to make up for the missing Fraser River Sockeye!!! I'm personally very doubtful that we will meet our 20,000 spawning escapement target. The only hope now is there are fish running late that arrive in October.

You nailed it with that statement 'searun'.
I was also there the last two weeks of August and as you say the fish simply were not there in the numbers required for us 'recreationals' with our little offerings in the water to have much in the way of success.
Just a correction...the spawning escapement they want is 33,000 fish.
Good luck with that. I'm afraid this years run is wiped out.
But the other two user groups have there fish and we're 5500 fish short of our average catch. Doesn't look like we are going to get our TAC even though we are supposed to be second in the priority pecking order.[:0][B)][V]

Hey Jeremy, congrats on the winning fish for Saturday 41.8 LBS You must feel pretty good considering you were by yourself in your 14ft aluminum. Must have been thrilling when you put it in the net.

It's been a few years since I've fished Alberni, but aren't the big springs a product of the Robertson Creek hatchery?

tx Dr. Hook for the correction, but the 20K number I was quoting was the minimum they need to feed the hatchery plus some limited wild spawning escapement. You are right on the money as to the desired escapement. I'm not optimistic after tonights gill net fishery there will be any fish left. We seem to be managing to the minimum escapement necessary to ensure there are just enough....problem with this management strategy is one year we will get it wrong and endanger the survival of the run.

Very sad strategy indeed. I also very seriously question the data or estimates used to project the number of sport caught fish. Last report I have is we allegedly caught just over 24,000 in Barkley Sound. I call B.S. on that. Must be using the new math to project that...I'd guess it is based on one overflight counting boats and assuming each boat catches 4 chinook or something as stupid as that.

Anyone out there have some credible idea how DFO arrived at the actual sport catch in Barkley Sound?

Searun

And thanks to you 'searun'. I wasn't aware of the absolute minumum of 20000 required for the hatchery.
About the catch in Barkley Sound...I actually questioned that myself and called up the DFO office in Alberni. It actually reflects the TOTAL number of fish caught for the entire summer ((starting in May I believe (a little fuzzy on that part)). I was told that 40-60% of the fish in Barkley are supposed to be Sommass bound fish and the rest are fish travelling elsewhere just ducking in for a bite. The guy I talked to was also unsure of whether this reflects offshore caught fish as well. Probably does. Also, with the 1 over/1 under size limit in Barkley, it also reflects a lot of immature springs between 45 and 77 cm. I brought that up with him and he said it doesn't matter. A spring is a spring.
So all in all this is a grossly inflated number which doesn't really reflect the amount of mature spring salmon caught in Barkly Sound.

quote:Originally posted by drhook

So all in all this is a grossly inflated number which doesn't really reflect the amount of mature spring salmon caught in Barkly Sound.

aYup! But... The Dino NEEDS</u> something to point at to help justify their all out war on springs in this system. For them, it is desirable to say that we sporties saw no problem with the numbers coming in, and in fact hammered them - look at the catch numbers, they couldn't lie could they?? [V]

The way the catch number is realized is based on sporadic boat counts (large focus on the busier times - weekends etc), then apply a per-boat count as evidenced by spotty and minimal creel surveys (any here get asked at all this year?) and walla, you have a "guesstimate". As with much of what The Dino does, basing this number on extremely minimal real information is downright misleading, and the number, as in this case, can be VERY</u> far off of what really occurred. But then again, it very much does buy into their Agenda</u>, so they will of course stick to it... [xx(]

Nog

Theres no way in hell sporties killed 24,000 springs in barkley sound this year. All the good fishing was off shore on the banks and there was only a few days inside that were good. I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the springs caught on the bank were U.S. fish. I love how they try to put the blame on anywhere but themselves. Its about time these IDIOTS (one in particular) start losing their jobs for this unacceptable mis-management. Let some escapement hit the river before killing everything might be a good idea?

Back