Alaskan Black cod

Dennis.t

Was given a large hunk of black cod. Planning to bake it. Anyone out there have any tips or advice on how to bake up black cod?

Had it steamed with a little bit of green onion and soya sauce. Also had it grilled quickly. So good, by far one of my fave fish. Nice and oily..... Post a pic of the finished product so I can drool....

Poach it and it won't dry out as much, likely been smoked already so steam or poach is best, cream sauce with it and vavoom

Had it steamed with a little bit of green onion and soya sauce. Also had it grilled quickly. So good, by far one of my fave fish. Nice and oily..... Post a pic of the finished product so I can drool....

Have some friends who know and one of the Standard Chinese methods for filet of White fish like ling or Rock Cod is steamed (don't over cook) followed by placement on a platter and sprinkled with the green part of chopped green onions and then drizzled lightly with hot oil and Chinese's dark soy sauce. I was surprised that the hot oil added to the flavor and silkyness when I was taught this method.

I have been meaning to try this method with wild onions. They are strongly flavored and have somewhat of a garlic like flavor and look like chives. If you find them on VI don't over pick and keep the location secret or they will be gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can bake it covered like a roast as it has a lot of oil in it

Also known as Sablefish, huge in the fish market now. Most black cod was heavily smoked in years past and commonly poached in milk.
Definitely steam or BBQ with a quick dip in flour then oil with soy whisked in
Great table fish

I had a chef tell me that it is called Sablefish unless smoked and the "trade name" that was adopted when smoked was Black Cod? Not sure if there is any truth to that?

Thanks for the replys. It has not been smoked. The friend that gave it to me, recommended baking it cause as mentioned it is a very oily fish. Cheers

Back