airmar 50/200 cone angles

Not sure I get wanting to see the balls either? I want an accurate depth reading, accurate troll speed and I want to see bait and most importantly individual fish!!!!! I want to know I'm spending my efforts where the fish are not following my balls around all morning. But to each his own! lol

Double post again. Anyways i will report back with pics when i get it installed and water tested.

Last edited by a moderator:
if it don't work frist dib's on the b60 ......

but report back as i have oversize trim tabs so mite work for me :)
only thing is having to re adjust the trims for when running again but that's no biggie

Too much of a pain for what it's worth. IMO. Just going to be finicky and constant need of adjustments. Drill the hole in the hull aft and be done with it!

Lots of drag and weight on the trim tab too as well I'd think when you actually use them for their intention.

Just get a transducer with wide cone should be good enough to get a feel of your tracking habits with the DR's

Well looks like my crazy idea is on hold because I won and auction on ebay for an airmar M260.

Well looks like my crazy idea is on hold because I won and auction on ebay for an airmar M260. Stole it for $203.50 :cool:
That's a good deal Dan, I paid 750+taxes from Mike when at HC and that was a great deal,
hope the tank isn't butchered too bad as you have to cut them to your hull angle, if it is you can buy a new tank, I used marine silicone to stick mine down in a test spot and its been like that for over a year now:D, make sure whatever spot you pick that you grind off any paint and have a nice smooth surface to mount to, this tank is huge I think your going to be surprised, its like 6"X9" and ducer weighs 13 lbs I think:eek:, use RV antifreeze to fill the tank, NOT mineral oil as suggested on other sites if you do use silicone
it doesn't say what plug end it comes with it either
so you may have to buy the lowrance end, its a 2 piece cable so no big deal.

That's a good deal Dan, I paid 750+taxes from Mike when at HC and that was a great deal,
hope the tank isn't butchered too bad as you have to cut them to your hull angle, if it is you can buy a new tank, I used marine silicone to stick mine down in a test spot and its been like that for over a year now:D, make sure whatever spot you pick that you grind off any paint and have a nice smooth surface to mount to, this tank is huge I think your going to be surprised, its like 6"X9" and ducer weighs 13 lbs I think:eek:, use RV antifreeze to fill the tank, NOT mineral oil as suggested on other sites if you do use silicone
it doesn't say what plug end it comes with it either
so you may have to buy the lowrance end, its a 2 piece cable so no big deal.

Thanks Tim. The tank is uncut and I have a Gallon jug of RV antifreeze with only 70ml gone from my p79 install. The p79 will go on the Elite7 and the M260 with the Gen2 touch. Im going to wait until I have it in my hands then I will call airmar and find out which cable I need to make it work.

you can use the cable from the P79 to test it out, same cable

Just an opinion here so take it for what it's worth but not sure that using silicone as a bonding agent for your M260 wetbox is a good idea. You'll want a good tight bond between the bottom of your boat and the rim of the wetbox

I used 5200 which I'll admit was overkill but most guys use 4200.

Reason: you want a 100% water-tight bond (where water tight = ethyl glycol tight---- no ethyl glycol leaking out, no bilge water leaking in)

I have seen pictures of FRIED M260's-- they generate heat and you want them in a constant bath, not only for heat dissipation but to maintain a nice crystal clear picture on your sonar. Even a half-full tank will lead to major loss of signal return

My advice: match the leading edge of the wetbox to the shape of your hull as best as you can, prepare the surface per above recommendations, then use a serious bonding agent. Silicone is not what I would call a serious bonding agent.

These units are big and could suffer hull-flex and bilge water intrusion--- I read about this and took the warnings seriously

transducer.jpg
[

I had this one for three years. I sold it but now, really miss it--- It was a great transducer!

This is what sits in that part of the bilge now: you can see how much I love 5200:

I have some 5200 left over from the p79 as well. It will be cut to 21 degrees and back caulked and an inside and outside bead of 5200 will be applied. I was checking out the pdf install file on the m260 earlier today.

I only used the marine silicone for location testing purposes as per Mike Perkins, but it's been testing now for over a year;) no leaks whatsoever,
But I do agree for a permanent bond 4200 would be better, mike recommends marine epoxy as well because it it easily removable if required

Sent from my rotary phone using tapacrap!

Well looks like my crazy idea is on hold because I won and auction on ebay for an airmar M260. Stole it for $203.50 :cool:

sure got a deal there well done ........:p

Back