Aftermarket tilt/trim

sly_karma

Crew Member
I just installed a Panther tilt/trim setup for my old but strong Johnson 140 which was made as a manual tilt. Buying original parts would have cost a fortune - if I could find them. The Panther tilt plate was just over $500 and it took me an hour and a half to do the installation with the help of an engine hoist. Electrical install was as simple as two plugs and a pair of terminals on the battery. The trim is adjusted with a small sealed switch mounted on the dash or anywhere else you like. Overall design and quality of finish are very good, and the on-water trial didn't show any problems, the unit did what it is supposed to. Top end speed improved slightly, from 37.5 to 39 mph @ 5300 rpm. Engine has now moved 7" aft which I like, better alignment with the kicker.

Reason I posted is there is a model made for smaller engines as well, folks with outboards to 25 hp and 55 hp can add (or replace) power tilt for a pretty reasonable price.

2014-10-12 15.31.58.jpg

Hey sly_karma , thanks for post .. I have a 40hp and tilt is much needed i'm gonna look into the set up . Cheers !

Heh heh, we really do live in a Newtonian world; there is a reaction to every single thing we do. Mrs Sly has declared that she would now feel comfortable operating the boat when I'm not around... I shoulda thought this through better.

Good call FA, the obvious solution is one boat to keep in the Okanagan and another at the coast so I'm not trailering 1000 km every trip to the cabin...

Back