Advise with 2001 Yamaha four stroke 360 hrs.

In me boating experience I've owned old two stroke engines and 2007 and newer fourstrokes. This weekend i'm going to look at a older Silver Streak welded aluminum runabout with a 2001 Yamaha Four Stroke 115hp main engine. I have no experience with older four strokes but have heard many stories of people being warry of them and of course when a fourstroke engine needs work it will cost a lot more then a two stroke. What should i be looking for in an older engine? obviously compression is the first place to start plus leg and engine oil. Any other advice?

Cheers

The older yammy 4 strokes that had the corrosion issues were the 200,225, and 250's I believe from 2002-2005-06. I haven't heard of any consistent issues with the early 2000's lighter yammies, 150hp and lower 4 strokes. I had a set of twin 50 1998 carbed 4 strokes and they ran very well up until last season when I sold the boat.

Someone else may want to chime is as my experience is rather limited, but I do pay attention to what people say on this site and other reputable sites.

As far as I know the 2001 F115 has the engine port to connect to a computer that with the computer software you can upload the history of the motor. Yamaha diagnostic provides an upload ( YDIS) . Engine hours of motor including hours run at given RPM can be uploaded along with problem codes that tell you when something happened and at what hour it happened and if the code was cleared.

The earlier to mid 2000's F150's had the Harmonic Balancer problem so if you ignore the warnings and it goes its not good. $$$

They were a good engine and the hours if accurate are low. You already have the basics mentioned, compression check or leak down is number 1 to do, then engine oil and leg oil. In the leg oil you are looking for signs of water, milky coloured oil and any metal filings on drain pug magnet. Not sure if valves need to be adjusted at set intervals (imagine they would if solid lifters) check valve clearences to see it has been run previously within tolerances....ask if they have been adjusted as required and if they have records.

thanks for the responses guys. Unfortunatly the owner of the boat emailed me last night to tell me that he's decided not to sell the boat afterall. Pretty unfortunate. I'll go back to trolling craigslist for the right boat!
Cheers

Back