Advice - All around boat

donnie d

Hey there - in the constant pursuit of an all-purpose family/fishing boat I've come across the Campion center console 602.

Ideally, I'm hoping for a boat that can do the family lake boating/kids skiing thing, but also be suitable for the chuck, and have the capability of venturing offshore on "nice" days. I know nice days can turn hairy in a matter of minutes, so I am cognizant that a bigger boat is always better. The Campion 602 has decent length at over 21 feet, however, the beam is pretty skinny versus many other options out there.

My ideal rig would be a Grady White Tournament/Freedom 225 dual console, however...you guessed it....$$$$$!! Wife doesn't seem too interested in an aluminum rig, so glass is all I would be looking at.

Thoughts appreciated!

dd

I'm sure many of is went through the same thought/buying process as you. I know I did after giving up my 17' centre console aluminum.
With 3 kids that wanted to ski and tube and a wife that wanted to suntan while I fished I decided on my current boat which is a 2001 Trophy 1900 DC. Open bow so 2-3 can sit up front. Put the tonneau on when not needing front seating or poor weather. Seating for 4 more at back and a big dance floor for a 19' boat.
150 hp Optimax for max torque for water activities and still great fuel economy to cross Georgia strait plus a kicker for trolling and backup.
Now my girls are all grown up so I am buying a bigger boat. This boat has worked wonders and caught hundreds of salmon over the years. You can see numerous pics I have posted. Similiar layout to Grady tournament at lesser cost. Mine may be for sale in a few weeks if I can close a deal on another boat. Will post further details in buy and sell section at that time. Good luck with your search.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
What year/price point you looking at?
I'd like a relatively new rig, say anything newer than 2010. Ideally I wouldn't spend more than $30,000, but for the perfect fit to please all parties involved I would be willing to upwards of $50,000.

Thanks for the comments. Your scenario sounds quite similar to mine. I only have one kid for the time being, but I am told I need to have suntanning space at the quiet end of the boat...funny the things that matter...

Anyway, that's a beauty boat you have. I really like the Dual console boats such as yours, but from what I have been able to find online many of the DC's are at or way above my top end price, but I have really only been browsing newer boats. I don't think Trophy makes the Dual Console anymore, unless I'm mistaken?? The main reason I started taking a look at the CC's like the Campion is there seem to be many more of them, better price points generally and can generally achieve the same things I am looking for.

How many hours on your Merc? Year? Any issues with the hull? Is it comfortable/reliable going offshore WCVI?

What kind of upgrade are you going for? You going to sell the Trophy turn-key, or will you be taking all your electronics, riggers & kicker over to your new boat?

Thanks again, appreciate your input & comments!

I'm sure many of is went through the same thought/buying process as you. I know I did after giving up my 17' centre console aluminum.
With 3 kids that wanted to ski and tube and a wife that wanted to suntan while I fished I decided on my current boat which is a 2001 Trophy 1900 DC. Open bow so 2-3 can sit up front. Put the tonneau on when not needing front seating or poor weather. Seating for 4 more at back and a big dance floor for a 19' boat.
150 hp Optimax for max torque for water activities and still great fuel economy to cross Georgia strait plus a kicker for trolling and backup.
Now my girls are all grown up so I am buying a bigger boat. This boat has worked wonders and caught hundreds of salmon over the years. You can see numerous pics I have posted. Similiar layout to Grady tournament at lesser cost. Mine may be for sale in a few weeks if I can close a deal on another boat. Will post further details in buy and sell section at that time. Good luck with your search.

If fishing WCVI is a priority I'd get something with a top & full windshield. Get a walk-around. Get a 24ft+

I don't know about your wife and kids, but mine would not be liking it once the weather turns and it's not smoking hot any more. CC are great when it's all nice and warm out, but when it's raining or foggy out there is no where to hide. Same goes for when it gets smoking hot out some people what to sit in the shade. I would be looking for something with a top and at least side curtains, full windshield, and a porta-potty for the women. I too would look at a walk-around or a pilot house style boat for the family especially if they are smaller kids. Just think that is a better way to go if it's a true west coast boat you want for the family. Just my 2 cents worth.

Reactions: Bjw
A 19' Arima Sea Ranger might suit your needs. A brand new one may stretch your budget but slightly used may work.

Arima's are definitely nice boats. If I was only looking for a fishing machine, that would be considered. I would like an open bow - lake cruising/sunning (wife and kids) and one that I can canvas up when out on the chuck. The reality is, 75% of my hours will be on the lakes in the Okanagan. When I do hit the seas, I would like to be able to get outside inshore waters, but again, talking pretty fair-weather days. Now I'm really leaning towards a DC open bow.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

A 19' Arima Sea Ranger might suit your needs. A brand new one may stretch your budget but slightly used may work.

Thanks for the comments. Your scenario sounds quite similar to mine. I only have one kid for the time being, but I am told I need to have suntanning space at the quiet end of the boat...funny the things that matter...

Anyway, that's a beauty boat you have. I really like the Dual console boats such as yours, but from what I have been able to find online many of the DC's are at or way above my top end price, but I have really only been browsing newer boats. I don't think Trophy makes the Dual Console anymore, unless I'm mistaken?? The main reason I started taking a look at the CC's like the Campion is there seem to be many more of them, better price points generally and can generally achieve the same things I am looking for.

How many hours on your Merc? Year? Any issues with the hull? Is it comfortable/reliable going offshore WCVI?

What kind of upgrade are you going for? You going to sell the Trophy turn-key, or will you be taking all your electronics, riggers & kicker over to your new boat?

Thanks again, appreciate your input & comments!

If I am able to buy a friends 22' Campion hardtop in the next week or so I will be posting the works for around $19,000. For just the boat, Opti 150 and trailer I want around $15,000 as I will need some for my new rig. Kicker is newer four stroke, Lowrance Elite sounder-plotter with west coast chip, seats are upgraded and trailer brakes completely redone this season. I will put lengthy details in buy and sell section soon.

I bought it six years ago after searching for several years for a DC model with 80 hrs. I have to check however it has around 400 now. It is in good shape and well kept however it is a 15 yr old boat so has normal bumps and bruises like any used boat. If you "need" a newer boat Trophy did re-make this boat as a 20' model in 2008-2010 only in the USA. Almost impossible to get one though.

Like others have implied DC boats are not well suited for WCVI seas that is why Im going to a hardtop next. I have fished out of Sooke however kept land in sight. I've been in big swells and taken water over the top. This model is self draining and can take a lot more than most people can handle. It can go fast to get you back if needed (60 kms/hr) however no one can in rough seas. Best to message me on here if any q's. Or my iPhone is 604 516 9485

If you can find one Seaswirl makes a very nice dual console 21 that would fit your needs.There's not a lot of them around and they sell very fast.

I've had a few boats and like to go to the lake with the kids but still chase fish in the ocean. I bought a 23 1/2' Crestliner eagle-- aluminum boat , it's got a hardtop. it works great for both , it's light enough to tow with a 1/2 ton PU and pull tubes and skiers at the lake . And it handles the rough water OK in the chuck.
It's got a decent size cuddy with a porta potty for the wife and kids , but it also has a nice 12" walk around with high rails for the kids to fish from .
They are out there , took me two years of looking before mine came up down in Seattle

Thanks for the suggestion on search tempest. I've never seen that engine before, really nice. Will be using that in my search for sure. Thanks to all for the comments and ideas, I think I've got it narrowed down to only a handful of boats.

Main thoughts...
-Center Consoles will not be considered.
-The Seaswirl Striper DC seems to be best balance between excellent quality and value for money in this category of boat.
-If I was willing to compromise on the open bow leisure the Campion Explorer 542 looks like a great lake/ocean boat. Locally made and good quality/value for money.
-I am going to have to wait many years until I get clearance to buy a Pilot House or a Walk Around solely for fishing!

I am looking to buy next year, so unfortunately those that are available now will have to find another home. My family and I are moving back to BC from abroad so we've got other immediate needs to take care of this summer!

cheers,

dd

Back