Ace Line Hauler Goes Hands Free

The only unit I know with a shim and rubber band is the one Mike in Nanaimo was making. If you buy one try it without the rubber band. As useing it makes both the spools two different sizes causing you line to slap around and buckle and bind. I would highly recommend paying the extra $10 and buy the Bulldog made by Ace for the Ace.

I found The Ace Bulldog was faster, easier to use, easier to install, has no line slap and binding.

The spring tensioner on the bulldog I found could be a little tighter to keep more pressure on the line with the rubber wheel. I experience a little slippage every pull and find just a slight bit of hand pressure solves the problem, but then its not hands free. lol

A heavier spring I think is in order. LFS has the bulldog for $50....using a waste high laundry basket like the one I've pictured allows me to hold 3 strings @ 400' (100 leaded 300 poly) in one basket. It breathes well so the line wont rot. Its very light, and only cost about $6 per basket. I'm very happy I finally found a sensible way to store my prawn rope. I seperate the strings using a round piece of styrofoam and poke the ends of the line through the holes in the basket so they are easy to find when running out the traps. Now I just need a puller of my own!!

IMAG0338_zps262261d1.jpg

Did you two mount it two low? Mine works great. Call Ace I know if there is any issues they will fix it.

I stand beside mine and do nothing but operate the on/off switch. Being I have only one good arm it is the best puller I have ever used.

The only unit I know with a shim and rubber band is the one Mike in Nanaimo was making. If you buy one try it without the rubber band. As useing it makes both the spools two different sizes causing you line to slap around and buckle and bind. I would highly recommend paying the extra $10 and buy the Bulldog made by Ace for the Ace.

I found The Ace Bulldog was faster, easier to use, easier to install, has no line slap and binding.

I do have the ace bulldog,
step 1 of the install is "Stretch the large rubber O-ring over the sheave.

I'm useing 450' 5/16 leaded prawn rope.
I havent added the shims yet.

I will hold my comments till I talk to them.

The shims are just a bunch of lock washers I believe. Not sure if it would help or not. Doesn't hurt to try.

FB Does it drop the line into the basket hands free, as in no dicking around ?

I run a tall laundry basket with 3 - 500' lines (100 leaded and 400 poly ) and an Ace puller now. I would love to stop feeding it in.

Got the basket idea from someone here (probably you) and it is the cat's butt for freeing up deck space. To dump the water in the bottom I put a tie across the top and put it on its side in the splashwell for a few minutes.

Well i finally got to put my dueller to work this weekend. And it worked great i didnt have any problems with it at all. Charlie you mentioned that the rope would jump over the guide...I think the rope is supposed to be on the top side of the guide. I am only running two traps on my set but the puller doesnt seem to be working any harder and the traps come in twice as fast and it is hands free
Scott

Hi, Just to set the record straight, WWW.HANDSFREEPRAWNPULLER.COM
I have been advertising The Dualler Plate as the " Truly Hands Free " No Slippage what so ever! ALASKA Fishermen prawning from 500ft to 800ft have been happy pulling HANDS FREE with the Dualler Plate Kit.

Also the 8 inch 0-ring I supply in kit can be used with or without, It mostly helps with 1/4 in lines and old ropes! I myself have purchased and tested the Ace dog wheel & bracket etc. I will wait for more fishermen to find out for themselves in which is the real HANDS FREE, smooth running, rough water trials, less moving parts, dog wheel to line slippage, which design will last, operation safety, life time warranty !

Anyway with all due respect, I will not look to hinder any fisherman, but only to help the Prawning & Crab people with arthritis-joint and back pains etc, To Enjoy Fishing.................... ( No Work and All Play now )

Have a Great Day,
Mike Mosdell
Island Cat Marine

Hi, Just to set the record straight, WWW.HANDSFREEPRAWNPULLER.COM
I have been advertising The Dualler Plate as the " Truly Hands Free " No Slippage what so ever! ALASKA Fishermen prawning from 500ft to 800ft have been happy pulling HANDS FREE with the Dualler Plate Kit.

Also the 8 inch 0-ring I supply in kit can be used with or without, It mostly helps with 1/4 in lines and old ropes! I myself have purchased and tested the Ace dog wheel & bracket etc. I will wait for more fishermen to find out for themselves in which is the real HANDS FREE, smooth running, rough water trials, less moving parts, dog wheel to line slippage, which design will last, operation safety, life time warranty !

Anyway with all due respect, I will not look to hinder any fisherman, but only to help the Prawning & Crab people with arthritis-joint and back pains etc, To Enjoy Fishing.................... ( No Work and All Play now )

Have a Great Day,
Mike Mosdell
Island Cat Marine

I have owned both myself and would not buy the dualler plate puller after using the Bulldog made by Ace for Ace. I know when I contacted Ace and asked about warranty if I installed the dualler plate puller there was no clear answer. So before buying and installing something that's not built by the manufacturer you may want to make a phone call.

If this dualler plate is so great way did I remove it and install the Ace Bulldog? If the dualler plate was so great why haven't I switched back?

Last edited by a moderator:
During regular office hours there is someone always there.... You calling the right number?

250-753-7179 just tried it and it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
We used our Bull dog this weekend for the first time and we had to put a bungy on the handle to stop the slipping of the rope . Its by far better than nothing but it does need some more R and D work

I just used my ace hands free puller attachment. Was much easier to install the the dualler plate. The puller was a few years old and bolts were froze so the dualler plate went back. I agree a heavier spring is needed as it slipped with one trap and some weight on the line. Other than that it was great!

Cheers All...

Oh great ... just when I thought I was ready for the season ... another new toy! ;) I will be purchasing The Bull Dog this week (or whenever they have stock) and will figure out really quick if it works. I do know that I rate Ace Line Haulers as the best and have had nothing but the best from them so I anticipate that it will work - as claimed - right from the box.

I will post after some tests....

I tried a few things to make the bulldog hands free.
I threw out the o-ring and used self vulcanizing tape on the sheave
I had a heavier spring made, but that didn't fix the slipping.
I've now added 2 small bungees I stretch over the handle.
Now its hands free only using the on/off switch.

Maybe Ace can step up and make a true hands free out of the box.

put a small blow torch to the tension spring...that should stiffen things up...only heat one or two coils, to much heat and the spring is scrap

F.A.....does Ace have you on payroll? lol

Back