Ace Bulldog hands free

reelfast

my first chance to try this device happened this AM. as some background, my pots are rigged using commercial grade "blue steel', a really hard lay line.

the pulls are 400' so i was hopefull that this device would do the trick. in short, don't waste your money.

problems i think are:

- spring does not provide sufficient tension
- the wheel that runs on the line is some hard composite, would probably be better softer as it slips on the wet line, or maybe a stiffer spring
- coiling? well i guess if you use the gray line and 'coil' into a tub of some kind, the 8" coils might be ok.

the only way i could get it to sort of work was by holding the lever with the spring and wheel tight to the line.

i just got back from the boat where i have taken it off and put the double wheels back on.

if any one of you is convinced this is for you, give me a heads up if you are riding the ferry to PA. i'll met you and sell it for half price. otherwise is will sit in the boat garage among a bunch of other 'good ideas.'

Last edited by a moderator:
x2 my only experience with the hands free it wasn't totally hands free as you had to keep pressure on it or it would slip. All it needs is a bigger spring to hold more tension.

Ever think of calling Ace if there is a problem?

Ace Line Hauler
690 "C" Comox Road
Nanaimo, BC V9R 3J3
Tel: 250-753-7179
Fax: 250-753-7178
Toll Free: 1-866-753-7179

I have only used mine a few times, but it seems to work perfectly for me. I am using the 5\16 lead core line, 400 feet each, with 2 traps on each string with about 6 lbs of weight in each trap. It doesn't slip at all, and coils just about perfectly into a tote.

RCA

Hey Guy's

I wrote Ace an email about this issue a few days ago and they got back to me today, they are sending me a few replacement parts to try. I will report back if I manage to get the issue fixed

Good on Ace for the quick reply and willingness to try and solve the problem

Capt

hey Captain, let all of us know if they resolved these issues. personally, i am more than happy with the double wheels and will continue to coil by hand as i need coils about 2-2 1/2' in diameter. but if a part of the 'fix' is something that will eliminate the 'curly fries' coils, that would be helpful. it took me two days to get all of the kinks out of the blue steel lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried the hands free setup for first time today
Pulling a single un weighted trap from 300 ft was easy and it coiled into a rough Neck bin nicely
Will see tomorrow how it handles 4 prawn traps w/ 2 lbs lead each, one crab trap, and two 10 lb cannon balls in 300 ft of water

Back