Accident spills fish on Island highway

yammy5

Accident spills fish on highway

Canwest News Service

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The fish started the trip fresh, and ended up battered.

About 1,350 kilograms of live cod, red snapper and halibut were spilled onto a Vancouver Island highway Monday morning after a commercial truck crashed, spilling its cargo.

The five-tonne truck left the road, crossing into the centre median area near Fanny Bay, about 200 km northwest of Victoria, said Comox Valley RCMP Const. Marcel Slofstra.

When the driver attempted to correct, the truck flipped over and crashed, spilling its cargo, about $20,000 in live fish in salt-water tanks. After the crash, the fish flopped all over the roadway where they died.

Tradegy aside, where are live ground fish sold?

quote:Originally posted by yammy5

Tradegy aside, where are live ground fish sold?

I was kinda wondering the same thing myself as I saw it on the news and I think they stated it was destined for Vancouver??[?]

Where do they sell fishing licenses for the highway? Is it tidal or non-tidal? I could need a hali or two! :D

I saw this one on the Noon News - looked like a CHEK-TV report from Victoria via Global BCTV in Vancouver.

Will probably make the Early News or the 6 PM news tonight.

Those were live fish for the asian markets and restaurants in the Vancovuer area. That's were most of the Rockfish in BC go now. They get the best dollar for live fish.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

I see those trucks here in Vancouver all the time.

My bet is that the driver fell asleep since they show up here awful early they must have driven from the north island with little sleep.

I too wonder about the weight of water in the back must be awkward.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

Ever been to a T&T Supermarket seafood section? You could save yourself some money and take the kids there instead of the aquarium. Its unreal how many species of live aquatic life they have there for sale. Anything from live king crab to turtles.

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

Back