A request to all guides

I've had at least 8 of the letters sent to me from TB, DFO and CCG. All in the past were for the original amount of $200.00 plus HST and accrued interest. It has now been reduced to $25.00 plus hst.

I find it really interesting how, ( I know all us serious guides do who have leapt all the hoops) we all seem to get different charges/user fees /membership charges just a seemingly no ryme to reason get who ever on the fees.

Profisher, I have every certifacation on myself and boat that has come along in the last 6 years, and have only gotten 3 totaling $78 and tax ? not complaining of course, just wondering about the political bull. Did you refuse to pay any of the $200 ? and its become now $25 ? if so good on you. We all need to be in agreement that we do not agree to all these stupid fees .

DONT OPEN THE THUNDERBAY SERVICE mail. Return to sender.

Same as last year.

Many were originally billed 224 bucks as they were listed as a FISHING VESSLE which is not correct.

They are charter boats or rental boats as stated in the DFO site if you google Marine Navigation Services Fee.

I am extremely upset about it too but with the new 5 year program on the blue decal, don't plan on being approved unless you show correct registration, which in turn leads to this charge. If ya want to be pissed, this has been in place since 1998 I believe, so many have not had to pay till now .......... if your completely lagit .... as much as I hate to say it ... it can not be avoided.

I do agree, another tax crab so to speak, every one uses the markers .... EVERYONE on the water so why don't ALL have to pay.

HT

Same as last year.

Many were originally billed 224 bucks as they were listed as a FISHING VESSLE which is not correct.

They are charter boats or rental boats as stated in the DFO site if you google Marine Navigation Services Fee.

I am extremely upset about it too but with the new 5 year program on the blue decal, don't plan on being approved unless you show correct registration, which in turn leads to this charge. If ya want to be pissed, this has been in place since 1998 I believe, so many have not had to pay till now .......... if your completely lagit .... as much as I hate to say it ... it can not be avoided.

I do agree, another tax crab so to speak, every one uses the markers .... EVERYONE on the water so why don't ALL have to pay.

HT

The "fee" was changed from 200. to 25. because of pressure and non-compliance. Fishing vessels do not have to pay this fee but charter vessels do. It is a misguided fee IMHO and I have lobbied heavily with the LMAC (local marine advisory council) to recommend to the CoastGuard that it be either eliminated or evenly applied to all commercial users including the commercial fishing fleet. I am quite surprised they even listened!
This fee will be tied to your TC and CDN number in the near future. I would not recommend ignoring it this time around.

beemer

I sent you an e-mail last night Hooktender.

TC actually also went to bat for us hard on this one to prevent guys from dropping the Yellow and even the Blue decal safety program. I have an e- mail from DFO CG Sandra Thomson advising of the changes, but have not had a updated bill of $25 yet. I was on them daily for 6 months over the $228 and interest. They had no explainations for why for 6 years with the yellow decal program, prior to the blue concept I was not billed? Tragic Mess! Owen Bird was a large contributor to the changes. Ship Registry also fielded hundreds of calls from over 100 with C#s explaing why we were wanting to have our Sport Fishing Boats removed from ship registry and the C# program. That put on quite a smoke show!

Thanks for the support Beemer.

Hook, I haven't paid the $200 charge, but will pay the $25.00 bill. When I met Owen Bird a few months ago he told me to continue ignoring the larger invoices because a reduction was coming. What bugs me the most is Gov's methods of billing. Send out a bill and leave it up to you to dispute the amount. Then impossible to call or email anyone who knows anything. How many pissed off customers would I have if I billed that way?

Nice job Tailspin . It goes to show that you can actually change the system with enough effort.

beemer

I am completly legit so far! If they dropped the fee from 200 down to 25 because none took it seriously then do it again. What the hell is thunder bay airport service anyhow ? $25 towards a chunk of runway in Ontario ?

thats what im wondering as well, wtf is it going to TBay for?.....holmes*

believe it or not , Thunder Bay Airport Services is the official collection agency for the Canadian Coast Guard. Yup pretty hokey!

beemer

Back