8HP Tohatsu problem

Old Blue

Ok so I took out my 8 HP Tohatsu 2 stroke out over Christmas to try it for the first time since august. It started first pull and then died after 10 seconds. Long story short I could get it started but it would cut out repeatedly with the gas line connected, unconnected it ran fine until it ran dry. I changed the gas as well just in case and tried a different line.

So I figure clogged fuel line or carb so today I used some seafoam additive to the new gas and it ran fine with the gas line detached, the motor sounded even better than before but no luck with the fuel line attached. I decided to use the deep clean defogger and well lots of rich smoke and my engine sounds grrrreat but no dice on using it with the fuel line attached. When the line is attached the gas chokes it out and shoots out on the side like in this video:
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10155113176310368&l=2752055288206102665

I've done a fair amount of searching on google and not much on there with similar issues

Before I take it in to a shop and spend some $$$ does anyone have any suggestions?
Is it worth spending the extra $ on repair if it's a full carb rebuild or maybe just put the money towards a new to me motor?

Thanks for any and all opinions

Could be one of 2 things. 1- your float valve is not seating, or 2- fuel pump diaphragm has a hole in it and is flooding your crankcase.

Could be one of 2 things. 1- your float valve is not seating, or 2- fuel pump diaphragm has a hole in it and is flooding your crankcase.

I think you might be bang on with the float valve not seating from what I've looked into online. I hope to get an hour or 2 on day light to look into it. Thanks for the info.

From how you have decribed it you have an issue with your fuel tank. Most aux tanks have a screen at the pickup tube. You might want to check that first to ensure it isn't gummed up. Otherwise your fuel line may be collapsed or the primer bulb is plugged or not functioning. Otehr than that I presume you have the relief valve open on the tank.

I took the fuel pump diaphragm off and it looked in good shape and wasn't ruptured and shot some carb cleaner into the intake. It did the same as before when it was started up. I then took off the carb air intake hood and took off the top where the float valve was and also shot seafoam carb cleaner in all orifices and then put it all back together. Started it up and it shot a load of carbon and smoke out and it now runs while hooked up to the gas line.....looks like it did the trick. I had messed with the idle screws before and it's far from set right but that's an easy adjustment in the right light. I'll probably take the whole carburator off and do a proper clean to make sure before tweeking it so it idles smooth and not so high.

Island Fish Lifter....thanks so much for the great insight, I really appreciate it :)

Back