80 cm Spring

spring fever

I thought an 80 cm fish was in the 16 lb range but was just playing on the internet with length weight tables and most are suggesting 12 to 13 lbs-is this what you guys are finding???

I thought an 80 cm fish was in the 16 lb range but was just playing on the internet with length weight tables and most are suggesting 12 to 13 lbs-is this what you guys are finding???
Some can go 15-16lbs short fat ones, most are 12-13 lbs

Last edited:
My fish scale is by no means set for legal tender but it is certainly within a couple once’s as I have checked it to known accurate weights. Last summer in Ukee we caught a couple 79/80cm nooks that were pushing 18# again weighed on my scale.

Last edited:
79 cm off texada 2 days ago was 17.6 lbs, according to my likely suspect scale. It was a hefer tho, and definitely got the bonk.

I'm not sure where those online charts get their data from, a 12lb spring at 80cm would be one heck of a torpedo, I would think.

Hot s bunch of 17-19 pounders last year that were 80-85. I swore they were in their 20s but were not

Lol there is a whole lotta 20 lbs tyees kicking around as well

Geeze, I've gotta get back in the loop.

I always thought Tyee were 30 pounds and over.

I could have had another 20 Tyee to my credit had I only known that 20 lbs. was all that was required.

Darn it! I miss so much now that I'm getting old.

LOL

Take care.

Tyees are over 30 some people eye tapes are just a little out
Last year, I was lucky enough to get a fair number of fish we kept in the 78-80cm range. Can’t remember the exact lengths but I do remember the smallest in that range was a long skinny 11lber and the heaviest was a 21lber that looked like a carp crossed with a football. Amazing the weight range but it shouldn’t be surprising. Nature is that way with a lot of animals. There are tall slim people and short rotund people as well.

Last year, I was lucky enough to get a fair number of fish we kept in the 78-80cm range. Can’t remember the exact lengths but I do remember the smallest in that range was a long skinny 11lber and the heaviest was a 21lber that looked like a carp crossed with a football. Amazing the weight range but it shouldn’t be surprising. Nature is that way with a lot of animals. There are tall slim people and short rotund people as well.
It’s the same with Halibut. 133 cm fish could be anywhere from 55 to 75 lbs Girth is king!

Who was the joker who was gonna cough up some dough a couple years ago for a 20lber in the slot? That was a good thread, worth a chuckle. We scooped a 18.61lb bleed out, at 79cm that year.
I remember this, and I don't think he was joking. It was $1000 for this unicorn fish.... The thread ran for quite some time and if I recall no winning fish was produced..... Was definitely entertaining

Who was the joker who was gonna cough up some dough a couple years ago for a 20lber in the slot? That was a good thread, worth a chuckle. We scooped a 18.61lb bleed out, at 79cm that year.
It was Chasin, Dreams and the guy isn’t a joker, he’s an experienced fisherman and west coaster and seems to know what he’s talking about on pretty much any issue he wades in on. I guess maybe he made a mistake on an issue no big deal.

Great comment on different size people as well. Personally, I am one of the 80 cm tyees.

There was a meme on this from a thread last year, but I can't find it. Showed a tape measure measuring up to 80 cm and every cm mark after was 80 cm as well. So I guess it depends on your interpretation of 80cm. ;)

Back