77 pound Chinook caught at Langara yesterday

It was 48” length x 30.5 girth that weighed 62 real weight

You should stick to fishing walleye

Actually Walleye in most lakes in Alberta have stricter conservation guidelines than the ones we have here for Chinook. It’s apples compared to oranges I know, just saying facts are good to know.

Guy is getting roasted big time on FB as he had a picture of the girth shot and it wasnt as wide as he said and ill be honest no way its that big you cant grab the wrist of the tail like he did. think its a little of embellishment there. , but hey very nice fish

Guy is getting roasted big time on FB as he had a picture of the girth shot and it wasnt as wide as he said and ill be honest no way its that big you cant grab the wrist of the tail like he did. think its a little of embellishment there. , but hey very nice fish
well, they clarified something about that being a different fish, but in all honesty, this interested me realizing how far off the weight is off of Doug's fish. There aren't many records of fish over 60 that were bonked and weighed with actual measurements and weight. I'd love a bunch more to see how the formulas stack up. What I do see, is /740 does seem to work ok below 40lb, and more slender girth, but over that, I am thinking just way too many variables with girth in play that almost all these big lodge estimates with their catch/release program are way into the high side.

Id be curious the measurements of this pig - visually, I believe the numbers, but kinda hilarious to suggest its only 6lb more when you put them side x side. So what formula did they use?
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...eleased+coast+record+books/7135250/story.html

I think it just comes down to no reliable formula out there to deal with large fish.

Last edited:
Huh? Directly from website:

'A 62.55 pound Chinook salmon with an overall length of 48 inches and a girth of just over 35 inches.'
I was quoting the guy saying he would bonk a 77 pound Spring not you. Sorry

I was quoting the guy saying he would bonk a 77 pound Spring not you. Sorry

You know what JR in all honesty I would more than likely never kill a fish that big, for what, they are poor eating anyways. I have thought about it many times and have always said I would release one if I caught anything over 50#. My point was is this site has to be the worst site on the internet for the ridicule and holier then thou BS. There was a pic of a fish of a lifetime posted and look what’s its turned into, 3 pages of negative bull ****. Why can’t people just enjoy it for what it is, someone caught a nice fish and we were able to share in that and let it fuel us in our pursuit of that once in a lifetime chance at something so beautiful. But nope,, it’s 3 pages of negative ****.

But if I did choose to bonk a fish like that or if anybody did, it’s in their legal right to do so and its a choice they may or may not make, accept it and be happy for them, we don’t always have to be a dick about everything.

Having had this fish in my freezer for a month, I can tell you that you could not begin to hold up this fish as shown in the picture, if it weighed 77 lbs.

This fish was built like a football and was mounted by the fisherman who caught it.

My biggest was 60 lbs and just trying to hold that fish was difficult.

M-10 kg (20 lb)
38.78 kg (85 lb 8 oz)
Odlom Point, British Columbia, Canada
04-Aug-1987
Robert Carter
Details
History

You know what JR in all honesty I would more than likely never kill a fish that big, for what, they are poor eating anyways. I have thought about it many times and have always said I would release one it if I caught anything over 50#. My point was is this site has to be the worst site on the internet for the ridicule and holier then thou BS. There was a pic of a fish of a lifetime posted and look what’s its turned into, 3 pages of negative bull ****. Why can’t people just enjoy it for what it is, someone caught a nice fish and we were able to share in that and let it fuel us in our pursuit of that once in a lifetime chance at something so beautiful. But nope,, it’s 3 pages of negative ****.

But if I did choose to bonk a fish like that or if anybody did, it’s in their legal right to do so and its a choice they may or may not make, accept it and be happy for them, we don’t always have to be a dick about everything.

You know the other sectors would kill that fish and sell it in a heart beat, given the opportunity. Personally I might or might not release it, it would really depend. Was it my personal best and would I like to spend a small fortune to get it mounted. Is it gill bleeding and may die. Which run is it most likely from? Is my freezer empty and how much more opportunity will I have to fish etc that year. Very good chance I would release it. I prefer fresh salmon to freezer salmon and I have the opportunity to fish in the winter for hatcheries.

I like the programs that some of the Lodges have put in place to encourage release, including a quick picture with a competent professional who knows how to handle and measure fish and release them unharmed, followed by an acknowledgment back at the lodge of your accomplishment if its a Tyee class fish. I have heard some provide a gift of a very good reel like and Islander or a Peetz, hopefully with engraving or an engraved plaque on it to sit on the mantel in place of you taking that fish home. Some of those trips cost $5000. plus, so that little extra expense to the lodge is a good PR and conservation move to protect the big fish runs that draw the clients. It should be optional unless the run is at risk and conservation is required.

Last edited:

TOTALLY agree if we are allowed to so be it do you think the commercial sector throw back any "large" fish be salmon or halibut??NO and remember (for halibut) they get the lions share of whatever they can keep while we cant.... chew on that for a bit...

If i get a large fish and my client wants it killed it gets killed thats "your" choice personally down here in the south if a fish that big ever did cross my path damn rights id bonk it my biggest in sooke is 49 lbs .14 ozs that a client reeled in long time ago never even crossed my mind to not bonk it ...its just another fish......
So when Aug 1 comes around soon and I get a large fish yes its gonna be killed and i will enjoy it and eat it ......As we have been hammered since april to not keep them. while other have had there way all summer long now tell me how that is Fair????
So enjoy it while you can and stock up as it will not be here again thanks to the lieberals

You know what JR in all honesty I would more than likely never kill a fish that big, for what, they are poor eating anyways. I have thought about it many times and have always said I would release one if I caught anything over 50#. My point was is this site has to be the worst site on the internet for the ridicule and holier then thou BS. There was a pic of a fish of a lifetime posted and look what’s its turned into, 3 pages of negative bull ****. Why can’t people just enjoy it for what it is, someone caught a nice fish and we were able to share in that and let it fuel us in our pursuit of that once in a lifetime chance at something so beautiful. But nope,, it’s 3 pages of negative ****.

But if I did choose to bonk a fish like that or if anybody did, it’s in their legal right to do so and its a choice the may or may not make, accept it and be happy for them, we don’t always have to be a dick about everything.

Well I tried to defend you, but now you are insulting all the members on this site by saying it’s the worst site on the Internet? Why would you continue to be a member if you really felt that way?

Ughhh some days you just can’t win, it’s enough to give a guy a headache.

Back