24 Extender Orca Skagit- fuel tank size discrepancies

fogy2074

To Orca owners,
perhaps my stupidity will be revealed here... I completed a conversion from a stern drive to a 300 Suzuki outboard. The new gauges requires the ECU to calculate the fuel burn rate in order to determine what fuel is left in the tank. Therefore the volume of the tank must be known and accounted for when fuel is added. ORCA Skagit‘s website states fuel capacity is 136 US gallons.(there are other larger capacities on these boats) To be certain, I measured the volume of the tank and did the calculation on 3 separate internet sites. All 3 calculation came up with 67 US gallons. Quite a difference. Unless the is a separate tank hidden behind the first exposed tank, these numbers are too far off and I will not be able to accurately determine how much fuel I have left. 67 US gallons is plenty of fuel but still need to figure this out.. I have a call into O.S.. WHAT AM I MISSING HERE?

I wonder if Skagit would have your build on record.
I would try calling them with your hull number and they may be able to give you the specs.

Just a thought.

I agree that they should have the answer for you. That sled will definitely have more capacity than 67 US gallons. Maybe it has a forward and aft tanks. 67x2 puts you at 134 gallons, two shy of the listed spec.

A friend has that boat and I believe the tank size was 160ish gallons . Maybe your math is wrong and it’s 167?

If you’re confident in your volumetric calculations, I’m thinking the former owner when it was an I/O might have replaced the tank.

There’s no place for a No. 2 tank to hide without you seeing it—-generally the tanks are mid-ship, just aft of the wheelhouse entrance

My Standard Orca 24 (2006) definitely held 160 G + —the tank was huge —-these boats specifically targeted the albacore guys so no surprise

Can you fill the tank ? Seeing is believing what the pump gauge says

If you’re confident in your volumetric calculations, I’m thinking the former owner when it was an I/O might have replaced the tank.

There’s no place for a No. 2 tank to hide without you seeing it—-generally the tanks are mid-ship, just aft of the wheelhouse entrance

My Standard Orca 24 (2006) definitely held 160 G + —the tank was huge —-these boats specifically targeted the albacore guys so no surprise

Can you fill the tank ? Seeing is believing what the pump gauge says
To Orca owners,
perhaps my stupidity will be revealed here... I completed a conversion from a stern drive to a 300 Suzuki outboard. The new gauges requires the ECU to calculate the fuel burn rate in order to determine what fuel is left in the tank. Therefore the volume of the tank must be known and accounted for when fuel is added. ORCA Skagit‘s website states fuel capacity is 136 US gallons.(there are other larger capacities on these boats) To be certain, I measured the volume of the tank and did the calculation on 3 separate internet sites. All 3 calculation came up with 67 US gallons. Quite a difference. Unless the is a separate tank hidden behind the first exposed tank, these numbers are too far off and I will not be able to accurately determine how much fuel I have left. 67 US gallons is plenty of fuel but still need to figure this out.. I have a call into O.S.. WHAT AM I MISSING HERE?
I had that boat and the fuel cap is 522 litres- so I am missing something-what is the problem? Look at the top of the fuel tank there is a label there that says capacity and who and when built

I had that boat and the fuel cap is 522 litres- so I am missing something-what is the problem? Look at the top of the fuel tank there is a label there that says capacity and who and when built
I changed out the fuel monitoring gauge on a 2011 Orca XLC 24, and the top of the tank read 125 US gallons.

I changed out the fuel monitoring gauge on a 2011 Orca XLC 24, and the top of the tank read 125 US gallons.
The tanks were all made individually and I believe there were some slight differences in size-my 522 litres was on a 2003 Orca XLC and I remember being surprised when I read the tank label-it was not by Orca but by some Fab shop close to them I think it was 136 us gal which at 3.8 litres per US gal gives 522. I always used 522 and over 16 years and many thousands of hours some getting low on usable fuel I never felt the capacity was off

The tank on my 27 is an irregular shape. the rear portion that you can see from the deck hatch is higher and the rest drops down approx. 6" and extends quite a ways forward into and under the cabin. You should check to see if this is the same with yours. A lot more volume in the front portion.

Last edited:
simple empty it and fill it up again LOL
with current pricing at 3.8 litres us per gallon, so thats just a touch over 500 litres so at 2.21 CAN price just a mere $1100.00 bucks for fuel

Agree with the above, the tank in my skagit has a sticker on it with info from the tank manufacturer including size....196 Gallons for me.

On another note, I would love to see some more pictures of your conversion and hear performance results out of the suzuki. Any reason you didn't go with the 300 duo prop? What did you do with the hatch cover and space opened up from removing the inboard?

When I ordered my NEW Orca back in 2002(2003 model) I could have ordered 3 fuel capacities a 136, 160 or 196 US Gals. They didn't offer any other so if yours is 67 us gals then I am thinking that is after market--very unusual!!

Back