23? 24? Foot Tolman Skiff Build - Nanaimo

outbeen

Hey All

Have started work about a month ago on a 23 foot Tolman Jumbo. Started with 30 gallons of epoxy, a bunch of rolls if glass/biax, an and a kit from Westcoast boatworks. At this point in the project I have cut the stringers, built the bottom and built the transom. Most of my tools have also been glued to the workbench at least once.

Next up will be to lift the bottom up (somehow) connect all the framing (shelves, stringers and and transom), then drop the bottom back onto it.

At this point I have 48 hours and 3 cases of beer into the project.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220506-075001.png
    Screenshot_20220506-075001.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 170
  • Screenshot_20220428-131209.png
    Screenshot_20220428-131209.png
    2 MB · Views: 171
  • Screenshot_20220506-081657.png
    Screenshot_20220506-081657.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 171
Good on you! I looked hard at this option. Looked at one in Florida that got purchased by that guy in Alaska who builds them. There was even a guy in courtenay with a mostly finished one, he was thinking of selling but decided to finish.

Perfect length! Have you found ordered power fit it yet?

Thanks, I looked at a lot of other options and my top contenders were to buy a welded aluminum (expensive), rebuild a classic eagle or Houston or build and get exactly what I want. I like the classics but to get a 23-24 footer you need big power and big truck pull it. My main intended use is 3 season fishing out of Nanaimo, puttering around the Gulf islands and maybe the occasional weekend trip to Barkley.

In the end I built a house designed around being able to build the boat in a heated indoor space, both as a pastime in the long grey winters and something to do on the windy days as I currently fish from an 18 foot Lund.

Power will most likely be Suzuki 140. Maybe the 150 Merc or maybe even twin 60hp Tohatsu. Other builders have reported it as consistently the best option due to the high power to weight ratio (140 HP for 400 pounds). Still not 100 percent sure. I figure I am looking at about 1200 hours to completion so about 2 years. Maybe order engine in the late fall.

In the end I built a house designed around being able to build the boat in a heated indoor space....
Well that's a relief-opening the first pic I thought you had started building inside like that maniac who posted here about building a skiff in his living room and then somehow managing to get it down the stairs and outside.

Thanks, I looked at a lot of other options and my top contenders were to buy a welded aluminum (expensive), rebuild a classic eagle or Houston or build and get exactly what I want. I like the classics but to get a 23-24 footer you need big power and big truck pull it. My main intended use is 3 season fishing out of Nanaimo, puttering around the Gulf islands and maybe the occasional weekend trip to Barkley.

In the end I built a house designed around being able to build the boat in a heated indoor space, both as a pastime in the long grey winters and something to do on the windy days as I currently fish from an 18 foot Lund.

Power will most likely be Suzuki 140. Maybe the 150 Merc or maybe even twin 60hp Tohatsu. Other builders have reported it as consistently the best option due to the high power to weight ratio (140 HP for 400 pounds). Still not 100 percent sure. I figure I am looking at about 1200 hours to completion so about 2 years. Maybe order engine in the late fall.
@s

Yikes 1200 hours. I wonder how long an open 20 foot skiff would take? 140 zuki would be good, they include a prop and mechanical controls shouldn't be too expensive. I have a 150 Honda on my 25 C-Dory so you should have a better power to weight ratio.

@s

Yikes 1200 hours. I wonder how long an open 20 foot skiff would take? 140 zuki would be good, they include a prop and mechanical controls shouldn't be too expensive. I have a 150 Honda on my 25 C-Dory so you should have a better power to weight ratio.
Mine took 200 hours

Mine took 200 hours
Did you build from kit? I think the added details of a pilot house, self bailing deck and finished cuddy will add a lot of time. The other big factor is that I'm basically only working in 1-2 hour time increments at the end of the day(sadly I need to give my best eight hours to paying work).

Managed to get the bottom off the molds today and started working on the jig. In the process I managed to make some key components inaccessible, but I guess I can try to "fish" them out. Hopefully can get the jig mostly ready by the end of the week and attach shelves, bowstem and transom over the weekend.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220509-205301.jpg
    Screenshot_20220509-205301.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 99
Did you build from kit? I think the added details of a pilot house, self bailing deck and finished cuddy will add a lot of time. The other big factor is that I'm basically only working in 1-2 hour time increments at the end of the day(sadly I need to give my best eight hours to paying work).

Managed to get the bottom off the molds today and started working on the jig. In the process I managed to make some key components inaccessible, but I guess I can try to "fish" them out. Hopefully can get the jig mostly ready by the end of the week and attach shelves, bowstem and transom over the weekend.
Yeah, it was a kit for all the main plywood hull components, and it was a pretty basic interior, just a floor, cross bench and bow locker. I would think yours would be at least 2x as much work.

A little bit more progress. Since the last update, I built the jig and shelf molds and built a pulley system attached to the beams in the ceiling and lifted the bottom back onto the jig. Also finished scarfing the shelves together, which was a process. I rushed it on one joint and tried to dry fit after 12 hours and ended up breaking the joint because the epoxy wasn't fully cured and I hadn't glassed both sides. Got everything dry fit at lunch time today. Tonight im going to see if I can bend the shelves at midships out another 1-2" to exaggerate the dory flare on the sides of the boat and build the 2 horses that hold the stringers in place.

1652816424531.png

Hey All

Have started work about a month ago on a 23 foot Tolman Jumbo. Started with 30 gallons of epoxy, a bunch of rolls if glass/biax, an and a kit from Westcoast boatworks. At this point in the project I have cut the stringers, built the bottom and built the transom. Most of my tools have also been glued to the workbench at least once.

Next up will be to lift the bottom up (somehow) connect all the framing (shelves, stringers and and transom), then drop the bottom back onto it.

At this point I have 48 hours and 3 cases of beer into the project.
Did you finish your project. I am moving to van island with the intention of building a 24 jumbo. Basically went down the exact same path you did in my thinking..I fish out of an 18 ft klamath aluminum skiff now. Any advise on the Tolman would be welcome..thanks Jim

Still working on the boat. By my best estimate there are likely another 2 years to completion. Most of my free time has been occupied by other things through the winter.

The only advice I would give with regards to building a Tolman is to just start building. I started giving serious consideration to doing the build in 2016. If I would have started after, even if I just buying a single sheet of plywood at a time and scarfing as funds became available, then the boat would already be complete by now. Building a Tolman is a big job that will likely end up taking over 1000+ hours to complete in the end.

Luckily I am building indoors, so when unable to work on the project I can just close the door and come back later. This could be very frustrating for some people but I am ok with it.

Im building in Nanaimo. Let me know if you are in town and want to come and check it out to get a feel for the scale of the project.

Last edited:
Still working on the boat. By my best estimate there are likely another 2 years to completion. Most of my free time has been occupied by other things through the winter.

The only advice I would give with regards to building a Tolman is to just start building. I started giving serious consideration to doing the build in 2016. If I would have started after, even if I just buying a single sheet of plywood at a time and scarfing as funds became available, then the boat would already be complete by now. Building a Tolman is a big job that will likely end up taking over 1000+ hours to complete in the end.

Luckily I am building indoors, so when unable to work on the project I can just close the door and come back later. This could be very frustrating for some people but I am ok with it.

Im building in Nanaimo. Let me know if you are in town and want to come and check it out to get a feel for the scale of the project.
That's sounds like very good advice. I will just get started. Windsor plywood is right around the corner from me so I think I will visit them this week. I would live to see your project and get a accurate idea of the scope of the project. I will send you a message next time I'm on the island.My daughter goes to U vic so I visit when I can. Thanks for your advice and the offer to check out your work.. Jim

Any updates? Hope its going well
Well after about 15 months off the project to manage some of my personal affairs the boat build is BACK!

With the help of a bunch of friends and family, I am now cruising along again. So far have applied about 7,5 gallons of epoxy and have a couple hundred man-hours into the job and it is starting to look like a boat. In a few more weeks(months LOL) the bottom side of the hull should be substantially complete and ready to flip onto a trailer for topside construction.

Transom, bottom, gunnels, and stringers are all now attached.

I have made a few modifications to the original tolman design including raising the bow approx. 5 inches to add a more dramatic curvature to the sheer line, steepened the angle on the transom from 12 to 15 degrees, stretched from 22' to 23' 4" or so and a few other minor edits. Im hand shaping the contact points for the sides at the gunnel and chine with a shinto right now and hopefully scribing/cutting/attaching both sides this weekend.

IMG-20240106-WA0016.jpegIMG-20240106-WA0014.jpegScreenshot_20240110-112600.pngScreenshot_20240110-112706.png

Well that's a relief-opening the first pic I thought you had started building inside like that maniac who posted here about building a skiff in his living room and then somehow managing to get it down the stairs and outside.
That was a great thread. Double Eagle was his handle I think. Haven't seen him on here for awhile.

Back