2023 Winter Harbour Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuesday is also the start of my family's trip out to WH. I will be sure to post an update after the trip. 4 days on the water. The weather is sounding like it is going to turn on Tuesday. More rain and wind. Any good places to hide from the wind in WH that isn't on land.

Tuesday is also the start of my family's trip out to WH. I will be sure to post an update after the trip. 4 days on the water. The weather is sounding like it is going to turn on Tuesday. More rain and wind. Any good places to hide from the wind in WH that isn't on land.
The mouth of the Mahata river. Should be coho there now and you can keep smaller springs.

Sometimes even crossing from WH area to Cliffe, can be sporty. Hecate Cove area can be alright as well but it’s a bit of a jaunt in. Maybe You can sneak your way out towards Kains? If it’s SE, it just sucks everywhere.

Ya if you can get across to the leeward side of the sound, there’s calmer options to fish, but if it’s too snotty to get to cliffe or that side, or up the inlet for coho, I’m not sure there’s much else…. Hopefully the south south easter won’t be too bad or sustained and you can get out of the harbour at least to kains.

On the way home from WH today after a wonderful 3 day session. Springs were hot north and west of Kains, our group of four limited out in under two hours both days. Decent sizes, mid teens to 29 lb. Also did well on lings and halibut. Weather and sea conditions were the best I've experienced in a decade of chartering out of WH.

All our fishing was offshore, other than 2 unproductive passes inside the lighthouse looking for coho.

On the way home from WH today after a wonderful 3 day session. Springs were hot north and west of Kains, our group of four limited out in under two hours both days. Decent sizes, mid teens to 29 lb. Also did well on lings and halibut. Weather and sea conditions were the best I've experienced in a decade of chartering out of WH.

All our fishing was offshore, other than 2 unproductive passes inside the lighthouse looking for coho.
Great news!! We are heading to WH on Thursday, soooo pumped as I missed 2 trips so far this year due to broken leg 😒. Are they still smashing w hootchies and spoons?

Anything happen out around Brooks bay? Or is
Everything offshore right now? Heading out in the morning, and not too sure which way to go?

We got all our springs out near the SW corner of the Lippy Pt RCA. Smashed lings about 3 nm north of Solander. Halibut took more work, best spot for us was about 2 nm SW of San Josef Bay. The luxury of super smooth water conditions, going way further afield than normally practical.

Great news!! We are heading to WH on Thursday, soooo pumped as I missed 2 trips so far this year due to broken leg 😒. Are they still smashing w hootchies and spoons?
We never tried a hootchie, they kept hitting 3.5" watermelon coyote spoons.

We went out today only managed one tuna, got out the Haida ridge down south. Water was crazy warm 67 f was the highest we saw. Do the tuna still like the really hot water or should we have looked for more 62 deg water?
From what I've heard the target range is 58-62°F. If the temperature get much higher the fish go deep and trolling is not very productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back