2023 Winter Harbour Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
She had an empty stomach. Hopefully we find the salmon, this trip. One of the locals said Lawn point kicked out a few recently. That’s why we chose there today. The one we got came in like a ling, and we netted it before it woke up and realized.
Any reports today? I should be pulling in tomorrow evening around 5pm.

We headed over near Gooding Cove, to hide from the SE swell. Trolled the brown turd hootchie around the reefs over there. Slower than yesterday, but we got our limit of Lings by lunch. We trolled spoons for an hour by Lawn Point, with no love from salmon. There was another group here for the last few days, that have been out daily. They got some Hali, while anchored. But also haven’t seen too many salmon. We’re going to concentrate on salmon tomorrow, hopefully we find them. We’re staying on our boat, at The Outpost. Stop by for a beer.

Have you guys tried Grants Bay yet?
Plus you might see nekkid hippie campers being chased by Bears on the beach.

IMGP0319.jpg

IMG_0138.jpegIMG_0135.jpegFished Grant Bay this afternoon. No Salmon, or Nekkid hippies. Beautiful day today, seas were great!! Almost flat calm. We headed 5 miles out from Grant Bay, this morning, to some shallower pinnacles. Was hoping for a Hali, but only a few Lings
Last fishing day tomorrow..although when we launched at Port Alice, the locals heading out front for salmon. Might try there on Friday?

View attachment 92530View attachment 92531Fished Grant Bay this afternoon. No Salmon, or Nekkid hippies. Beautiful day today, seas were great!! Almost flat calm. We headed 5 miles out from Grant Bay, this morning, to some shallower pinnacles. Was hoping for a Hali, but only a few Lings
Last fishing day tomorrow..although when we launched at Port Alice, the locals heading out front for salmon. Might try there on Friday?

I love that area..beauty day no matter what

Very scenic and rugged. Sea otters are kinda cool too. We had one following us this morning.
Fished this morning near Gillam Islands. Was supposed to get windy and there was already a south swell, heading out. It got snotty and windy really fast. Got into a few salmon, but all small. Got one 55cm fish for the cedar plank tonight

Just coming out of Winter Harbour after the long weekend! Slime eel fishing was top notch had one trap with 10! The prawning was ok too 😁

Didn’t have a chance to get out fish for springs but heard reports from others that there are plenty of springs around

So I just have to ask—-what do you do with 10 slime eels..make wallets and brief cases?

Is there any place to grab food in WH? Maybe a cheese smokie or burger?
No, unfortunately. There used to be a lady who did this seasonally, but apparently packed it in 2 years ago. Best to bring everything you need. Ice and booze is readily available, of course!!

Headed up to Winter Harbor the week of June 6th, have fished there and Port Hardy area for a number of years (over 20 years ) , always happy to buddy fish with other boats - I'll be in a 25' Grady White with twin Suzukis. Mainly chasing hali and salmon, Give me a shout on here if you'll be up there the same week and maybe we can share notes, tell stories or do some drifts or trolls together! Happy fishing!!

Just coming out of Winter Harbour after the long weekend! Slime eel fishing was top notch had one trap with 10! The prawning was ok too 😁

Didn’t have a chance to get out fish for springs but heard reports from others that there are plenty of springs around
They should be appearing in numbers by now if you know where to look. Just looking back over my journals for the 20 years I fished there and we did pretty well at this time of year if the weather co-operated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back