2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
we were out yesterday. Started near grace on the 240-ish contour. Nothing at all. Some of the guys in very fishy boats didn’t get a nibble since morning. Good number of boats there too. Seemed quiet so we headed up to waterfall. Stayed on the 220-200 range over there and we caught 5 total with one keeper. A white spring. White hootchie got most of the action but we tried the homeland security spoon and got a few good bites on that.

Learned a few things about prawns and traps. We tried both box and standard commercial net traps. Maybe about 300 - 240 deep. The box traps caught more. The net traps had fewer prawns but the ones we caught were bigger. So I think some of the smaller prawns escape from the commercial style traps. I think the edge goes to the box traps. Smart guy at the dock told me you need to weigh down the box traps because they are fairly light and they can move around and wobble when on the bottom. He says prawns hate that and so you need to weight these on the bottom. Some rebar and zip ties seem to do the trick.

Learned a few things about prawns and traps. We tried both box and standard commercial net traps. Maybe about 300 - 240 deep. The box traps caught more. The net traps had fewer prawns but the ones we caught were bigger. So I think some of the smaller prawns escape from the commercial style traps. I think the edge goes to the box traps. Smart guy at the dock told me you need to weigh down the box traps because they are fairly light and they can move around and wobble when on the bottom. He says prawns hate that and so you need to weight these on the bottom. Some rebar and zip ties seem to do the trick.
West coast makes a square 5lb glow weight that fits right into the bait holder. I use two in each.

I have the round traps, I put a ring of #4/0 copper wire around the perimeter (inside the trap) in each trap, plus a 5lb cannonball on the rope 10’ ahead of the first trap. That sh** ain’t going nowhere lol.
Granted, it’s prob not worth the $ to go out and buy 4/0 copper for this but helps being a sparky and using scrap pieces 😉

Last edited:
The presoak is a great idea, I was surprised how long pellets last (thankfully as they aren’t cheap) and that it seemed the traps got better after a few days when I was out in the summer.
How’s this pre-soak with prawn oil and feeeze work- just fill bait bucket half to 2/3, mix around with prawn or herring oil and maybe add a bit of water - then into a ziplock and the freezer?
I go to Highwater. I buy one bucket of pellets and one bottle of oil. Mix them together. I then load up the orange bait pale with the mix. The bait pale slides into a clear to-go container( the type bulk foods go into.) Into the freezer. I then slide them out of the clear to-go container into the trap along with a can of yum yum or cat food. They thaw out pretty quick. I use pellets multiple times over.

We keep the hauler going until all the traps are on deck, you don’t want too to stop in between traps or the prawns will float around and swim out.

Good morning. Any thoughts how the weather might be today? I'm getting conflicting reports. I'm eager to get out.
Govt site exaggerates a bit usually, but a 25-35 outflow in Howe sound combined with a strong SE in the straight seems cold and miserable. More of a rum and egg nog day if you ask me.
Edit: the sunrise is lookin kinda red so you know what they say…

Last edited:
Govt site exaggerates a bit usually, but a 25-35 outflow in Howe sound combined with a strong SE in the straight seems cold and miserable. More of a rum and egg nog day if you ask me.
Edit: the sunrise is lookin kinda red so you know what they say…
We're getting desperate. Buddy's in town from Vernon. We might try bellboy but we'll probably leave the traps at home

Wind is dropping fast at Pam Rocks… there’s just a few whitecaps right along the eastern side of Gambier . Just small chop right in front of me in Lions Bay. Grace was decent yesterday…. Got a 66 and a 75 in an hour around noon. Prawning was ok too .

It’s picked up a bit at Pam Rocks now … still just choppy in Lions Bay . It’s supposed to drop to 5-15 northerly in Howe Sound around noon .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 43
Flat calm all day in English Bay and South Bowen. Easterly is picking up. It's going to get saucy.

Fished a quick shift on S Bowen yesterday, from 12:30-2, trying to hide out from the wind. Started around Seymour Bay and headed W along the 180' - 260' contours. Picked up 5 undersized fish. Most concentrated around Arbutus Bay just W of the Cowen marker. Lots of bait and the chaos of a double header while out fishing solo.

On another day many more fish could have been caught with a bit more concentration but it felt like much more of a exploratory trip just to see what was out there. Choppy waves and gusty wind made it chilly but always good to get out.

Hey, a couple years ago someone posted a detailed map of the sponge reef areas around Passage Island. I've looked in the archives and can't find it. The couple I've found online aren't as detailed. Does anyone know where to find it?
I fished Tunstall today, followed by waterfall. It was uneventful. We got prawns today, but pawned up Indian arm yesterday. Four traps in my usual spots produced very few prawns and quite a few females. Back out for the full day on Friday.

Last edited:
Hey, a couple years ago someone posted a detailed map of the sponge reef areas around Passage Island. I've looked in the archives and can't find it. The couple I've found online aren't as detailed. Does anyone know where to find it?
I fish Tunstall today, followed by waterfall. It was uneventful. We got prawns today, but pawned up Indian arm yesterday. Four traps in my usual spots produced very few prawns and quite a few females. Back out for the full day on Friday.
Navionics has the closures marked.

I fish Tunstall today, followed by waterfall. It was uneventful. We got prawns today, but pawned up Indian arm yesterday. Four traps in my usual spots produced very few prawns and quite a few females. Back out for the full day on Friday.
I got all organized a while back and screenshot a bunch of these maps into an album in my phone. Comes in handy.

IMG_4324.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back