2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks still a bit of a newbie here and so not sure of all the terms and etiquette. Where exactly is the waterfall? I can’t seem to nail down that spot. Also is it ok to ask about specific prawn spots? I see the floats on south Bowen and outside of horseshoe bay ferry terminal. Maybe 250-300 foot of water. Is there a more preferred spot/deprh for those tasty prawns? I use the prawn bait which looks like dry dog food and also the gel. I generally don’t catch very many and therefore the question. Thanks to the many Jedi-level fishers here who can steer me on the right path.

Folks still a bit of a newbie here and so not sure of all the terms and etiquette. Where exactly is the waterfall? I can’t seem to nail down that spot. Also is it ok to ask about specific prawn spots? I see the floats on south Bowen and outside of horseshoe bay ferry terminal. Maybe 250-300 foot of water. Is there a more preferred spot/deprh for those tasty prawns? I use the prawn bait which looks like dry dog food and also the gel. I generally don’t catch very many and therefore the question. Thanks to the many Jedi-level fishers here who can steer me on the right path.
Pretty sure the waterfall is half wayish between Tunstall and Hutt Island near the markers. There's a small waterfall flowing right near there. It's not like bridal falls or anything just a small flow coming down. Lots of prawning info discussed on here if you do a search. I've only dropped traps a few times and South Bowen just recently and we had only 15 prawns in the first 2 traps and 75 in the other similar depth you mention. Same bait. Like anything else it can be hit and miss just got to give it a go and keep trying and eventually you get them.

Pretty sure the waterfall is half wayish between Tunstall and Hutt Island near the markers. There's a small waterfall flowing right near there. It's not like bridal falls or anything just a small flow coming down. Lots of prawning info discussed on here if you do a search. I've only dropped traps a few times and South Bowen just recently and we had only 15 prawns in the first 2 traps and 75 in the other similar depth you mention. Same bait. Like anything else it can be hit and miss just got to give it a go and keep trying and eventually you get them.
Much appreciated

Oh it’s ok to ask about specific prawn spots, you probably won’t get a specific answer though 🙃 best spot I have locally is only 200’ deep. Study the charts & look for the valleys on the ocean floor. Pre soak your pellets in water (and some herring oil ideally) for a couple hours before you drop traps so they start sending off a scent trail as soon as you drop them. I throw in a cage of chopped up herring & fish guts in each trap also.
Funny I wasn’t sure where waterfall was until last time out but I just kinda found it based on same description as Blue Hewes described. All part of the fun, figuring it all out. Good luck

Last edited:
I pre soak prawn pellets is the secret sauce(prawn oil). Then freeze them. That way the oil doesn't get all over your boat and doesn't wash away during the drop. I go for 240ft. There are tons of spots out by passage. The tricky thing about passage is the weather changes fast and retrieval can look different then the drop. Also if youre to far out towards the middle between Passage and pt Atkinson a log boom might relocate your trap. Easier prawning is up the sound around Lions bay.
Waterfall is a good spot, but Tunstall is shallower, so Easier to bottom fish in my opinion.

Oh it’s ok to ask about specific prawn spots, you probably won’t get a specific answer though 🙃 best spot I have locally is only 200’ deep. Study the charts & look for the valleys on the ocean floor. Pre soak your pellets in water (and some herring oil ideally) for a couple hours before you drop traps so they start sending off a scent trail as soon as you drop them. I throw in a cage of chopped up herring & fish guts in each trap also.
Funny I wasn’t sure where waterfall was until last time out but I just kinda found it based on same description as Blue Hewes described. All part of the fun, figuring it all out. Good luck
Great info. Thank you

Looks like I'll get good use out of that Navionics app with the closures and bottom contours marked. A wise man told me that fishing is all a big puzzle and the fun is not in solving it, because it cannot be solved. Love the helpful info from everyone here. Happy boating everyone!

Looks like I'll get good use out of that Navionics app with the closures and bottom contours marked. A wise man told me that fishing is all a big puzzle and the fun is not in solving it, because it cannot be solved. Love the helpful info from everyone here. Happy boating everyone!
Do you happen to be fishing out of a red aluminum boat?

Anyone have any luck in the Harbour near Bell Buoy or Freighters recently? I know Howe Sound is often best this time of year, but was hoping to get something closer.

Anyone have any luck in the Harbour near Bell Buoy or Freighters recently? I know Howe Sound is often best this time of year, but was hoping to get something closer.
Yesterday was good for the 2 hours I was out, gorgeous day. 3 " spoon was the most productive. A few boats around, I was on the 190 depth line, the others looked to be following shallower contour lines. Like you some days I just want something close in the harbour, the Bell or Pt Atkinson.

I got a 70cm by the Bell last Saturday, had to weed through a dozen unders. I agree, sometimes you just want to get out for a quick fish and not make it a long journey. I fished the waterfall yesterday and we got two in the high 60 cm, then tried the Bell on the way home for an hour but just got a couple under sized before dark.

Out at the bell, the fog is trying to lift, I can see Pt Grey trees now. Tons of fish, one that must’ve been a keeper got away judging by the rod bend but lots of action to the boat. Pretty much nonstop since I’ve been here for an hour and a half but I did catch the tide change.

Last edited:
Tunstall today. 1100-300. I got a few unders, including a double header of two just unders. Then at 255pm I got a 74 cm deep into the bay. Off the bottom in 80 feet. Black flasher, jolly rancher little phat e. That was the best combo today. I also tried chartreuse flasher with Irish cream.

Attachments

• 20231210_145310.jpg
    20231210_145310.jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 128
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back