2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crossed back just now from the islands, wasn’t as bad as I expected. Currently fishing Sandheads with one other brave soul. Fishable but only for those with good sea legs. Haven’t worn the ol life jacket for a while but it’s on. Solo’s gonna be fun if I get one on.

Last edited:
Jesus dude, that’s a lot of weather for a chance at any salmon, let alone a Harrison white.
It was more about the experience than catching a fish, one doesn’t really know what a 26knot wind is like until you actually experience it. Definitely not recommending it to anyone and important to know you and your boats limits.
That’s probably it for me this year. Thanks for the reports here and tight lines to those fishing through the fall.

It was more about the experience than catching a fish, one doesn’t really know what a 26knot wind is like until you actually experience it. Definitely not recommending it to anyone and important to know you and your boats limits.
That’s probably it for me this year. Thanks for the reports here and tight lines to those fishing through the fall.
I get it, tried a similar day last year to see how the boat would fare, it earned an A+ grade. However, I caught a nice chinook that a sea lion grabbed, so almost a half hour of fighting it trying to get my gear back, almost puking from conditions and looking backwards. Got my gear back, lost the fish, headed home.

Last edited:
All fair points! I have been in some stupid weather in my little boat, and while it was a good learning experience in what it can handle, it was also a great learning experience in what I’m willing to tolerate. Being surrounded by a wall of water on both sides, with no horizon in sight is definitely something.

White knuckled a rough ride in big seas from MacDonald Beach to Sechlet in my old 17.5’ Double Eagle, with my gf and her parents, many years ago.
The Sea…she was…how you say…angry.
My girlfriend’s Father broke a rib, her Mother got an eye floater, and she became my wife. Lol

Anyway, looks like things will be nice in the morning so I’m hoping to make a few passes at the T10 from 10-2ish.

Just wanted to share this pic. Don’t know the guy really well so don’t want to plaster him on this forum. Fish weighed at 46lbs from Sandheads on Sunday. Fish of a lifetime if you ask me!
Yep, saw that on FB. Fish of a lifetime? Yes! I posted my fish of a lifetime a few days ago; 36 lbs confirmed on 2 different scales... same length as the one above, a bit less girth... so 46 lbs seems too generous (10-lb difference?), but *huge* fish either way!

That's why we go out there...... for a chance to hook one of those!
Yep. Monster Harrison/Vedder whites usually show up around this time and then they shoot up river after the 1st dump of rain. You should give this another shot before they're all gone...

Yep. Monster Harrison/Vedder whites usually show up around this time and then they shoot up river after the 1st dump of rain. You should give this another shot before they're all gone...
Looks like rain is coming early next week. Do you think there will still be springs around the last weekend of September?

Looks like rain is coming early next week. Do you think there will still be springs around the last weekend of September?
There will be. Numbers will start dwindling down but rain may also bring in a fresh wave of fish and send the zombie pinks and colored springs up river. Stalled fish become liptight and that's why it's become a bit slower lately - or at least that's how I like to see it. lol

Fished sandheads 10 to 1 today. 3 coho to the boat, one chunky hatchery keeper male at 90' on the big size 5 anchovy spoon. Creamy orange flesh with the fat.

IMG_7225.jpeg

Tried all kinds of different tacks to find chinooks including up on the shelf behind the green can and through the valley between the can and the pedestal lighthouse. No joy.

IMG_7226.jpeg

Fished the size 5 spoon and anchovy on the other side. Didn't see may other nets out. Guide boats were out deep at T-10 on our way past so maybe they found some fresh fish?

No, i did my one run over from Nanaimo on opening day....had a blast. There's still fish on this side too

Friend of mine caught this between Sandheads and T10 in 150 feet of water and DR at 65. Sunday afternoon. Took him 45 mins to bring this male red spring in. Scale says 43lbs. So yeah, there are some really, really big chinooks out there.

Attachments

• 68C1C11B-8EC3-45A6-AEBF-140594D6A9CC.jpeg
    68C1C11B-8EC3-45A6-AEBF-140594D6A9CC.jpeg
    270 KB · Views: 260
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back