2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
Bring a rather inexperienced fisherman, can I ask if there is a particular skinny G pattern that everyone is referring to? Or does it matter?
Thanks in advance!

Hi
Bring a rather inexperienced fisherman, can I ask if there is a particular skinny G pattern that everyone is referring to? Or does it matter?
Thanks in advance!
I don't think it matters. We hit on both the nickel back herring aid and the glow back irish cream.

Started around 7:30 around the bell, 14 lbs red just east of 2nd mile marker in 180 fow 75 on DR anchovy and green onion flasher. Pretty slow and bit breezy. @Aquaholic can certainly smell fall in the air today. ;)
Finished the day with a hatch coho at T10 right before the low slack. White hootchie and no bananas flasher 45’ in 250 FOW on a slow troll. Anchovies got no love at T10. Saw a nice chum released by another boat.
Slow day overall and had to grind for it. Next outing will be for the Firefighters Darby. Here’s for calmer seas and a wave of fresh fish.

Its deffinitely slowed down from last weekend and we also didnt do our part lol..we had a day of tangles, lost a couple low to mid teens spunky fish that came in easy, then saw the boat and jumped way out the water and hit the ground running diving under the boat wrapping around the down rigger cable opening the ****** lock swivel on the flasher that I should have replaced and taking off with my spoon. The other one wrapped itself around the outboard and lives to see another day. We took the next few fish way more seriously after those couple gong shows.

We ended up with a 70cm 6lb, an 8, and a 9. Caught some pretty spawny pinks as well. Released 3 wild coho and a few undersized chinook.

Last edited:
Boxed 6 springs today, a hatch coho and 3 pinks. Released 3 nice wild ho’s and some shakers. Springs mostly 80-100’ down off the rigger, lighthouse bigeye was the top producer. Nothing on plug, hoochie or bait ended up using all spoons by then end. Hopefully able to get a few more tomorrow before heading home though wind looking ugly.
We didn’t get into as many pinks as we thought or hoped… didn’t think I’d have to say this but any tips for pinks off sandheads tomorrow?

Attachments

• IMG_5703.jpeg
    IMG_5703.jpeg
    255.4 KB · Views: 157
Boxed 6 springs today, a hatch coho and 3 pinks. Released 3 nice wild ho’s and some shakers. Springs mostly 80-100’ down off the rigger, lighthouse bigeye was the top producer. Nothing on plug, hoochie or bait ended up using all spoons by then end. Hopefully able to get a few more tomorrow before heading home though wind looking ugly.
We didn’t get into as many pinks as we thought or hoped… didn’t think I’d have to say this but any tips for pinks off sandheads tomorrow?
Just look for a wall of fish on your sonar and feed them with your anchovies. Guys also had luck with a white flasher and pink hootchie. Good luck!

Late post but we fished sandheads from 11:00-4:30 on Saturday. Started out with probably 20 pinks and a Jack chinook. One 14 lbs chinook around 1:00. We were waiting for the 4:00 mark and it didn’t disappoint with three 18-22 lbs chinooks and lost one that I couldn’t make any progress on until it popped off. Kept 2 pinks as well and that will be the last/only pinks I keep.
70-80’ on different variations of herring aide. Even the mummified anchovies from last year were hitting.
Finished off the day with bearing failure and losing a tire two blocks from my house. Had to change the bearings on a busy street in the dark but got her home and will be getting new hubs but maybe a newer trailer. 40 years is probably time for a new trailer lol.

Attachments

• IMG_4684.jpeg
    IMG_4684.jpeg
    283.8 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_4679.jpeg
    IMG_4679.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_4700.jpeg
    IMG_4700.jpeg
    692.6 KB · Views: 196
  • 71660999632__08D47B31-8FBA-4B17-8B3D-EF2749CEBDCE.jpeg
    71660999632__08D47B31-8FBA-4B17-8B3D-EF2749CEBDCE.jpeg
    475.6 KB · Views: 201
I have found that most of my pinks this year have been hooked with spoons such as No Bananas and deeper then in previous years. I've been catching them 80'-90' rather then on my high rod at 45'-60'. However the two pinks I caught today at Sandheads looked like they were caught in the river. They were already dark at the top, had a hooked nose, and had a hump.

My trick for getting pinks is targeting springs… 😭 lol

Fished SH from 5 to dark sunday night. Slower than saturday night but 3 guys each managed to land a spring. Caught the last one 15 minutes after sunset, which never happens for us, but we try anyways. Now we're never going to be able to leave early.

1 screamer lost far from boat. 1 jack spring, but no pinks.

I feel like I've caught the most pinks on the ebb or low slack. Very few on the flood.

My Amundsen tmx5 went wonky at the end of the night and developed a lot of slop. I thought it was damaged, but the main screw had just worked itself a little loose. Seems fine after tightening.

Conditions were way better than expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back