2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went out to Sandheads. (Between sandheads and t 10). I didn't have very long. 300pm until 445pm. I went solo because my dad whom I normally go with, broke his back on the way out to sandheads on September 02 in rough water. He's had a really sore back since, got an x ray back yesterday, it's broken. Anyway, got a big spring on right away, on herring, lost it a the boat. Then 330 I landed a 10# red. Then picked up a 20# white on herring..all at 69feet. I then played with some gimmick lures and got a low teen spring on a sonic fish type thing made in prince Rupert. Which I released. Good 1.5 hours out there.

Attachments

• 20230914_185856.jpg
    20230914_185856.jpg
    826.5 KB · Views: 79
Planning a Sunday-Monday fish (spend night on the boat). Usually launch out of steveston/captains cove but looks like it is supposed to blow up Monday. Would like to fish until at-least noon Monday, perhaps a better bet (extended fishing time at the bell if rough) would be launching from Vanier? Last time we fished the 6’+ my boy got a bit green…

It’s about the same distance driving wise, though I don’t like the idea of driving downtown with a 50’ rig (coming in from Kamloops)… open to thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_5649.png
    IMG_5649.png
    237.2 KB · Views: 32
Out for the evening bite, pulled up to T10 just as the orcas were leaving, gave them some space and started out deep. Herring both rods, fed a couple pinks before heading into shallower waters. Got into a nice spring in 200 fow at 7pm,lost it to my newbie net man.
20 mins later we get a tiny hit, thinking it’s a pink I start reeling in with disgust, bring the fish close to the boat , suddenly it books it back down and starts peeling line, same time my other rod goes off and immediately starts peeling line, we manage to net the first one and start bring in the second, couple missed net attempts at the boat, fish gets tangled in the rigger line and gone. Hit another small jack spring before dark. Enough bites to keep us entertained for the evening. Fish caught deeper between 90 and 120 on the rigger.
The one we bonked was a 20lbs white

Attachments

• IMG_1162.jpeg
    IMG_1162.jpeg
    532.3 KB · Views: 114
Planning a Sunday-Monday fish (spend night on the boat). Usually launch out of steveston/captains cove but looks like it is supposed to blow up Monday. Would like to fish until at-least noon Monday, perhaps a better bet (extended fishing time at the bell if rough) would be launching from Vanier? Last time we fished the 6’+ my boy got a bit green…

It’s about the same distance driving wise, though I don’t like the idea of driving downtown with a 50’ rig (coming in from Kamloops)… open to thoughts?
Looking at the forecast, your Vanier launch looks like a good plan EXCEPT I don't think there is overnight parking. Maybe some have done it?1694786352202.png

Rocky point is a good launch and their overnight parking is pay by the 24hr (not by calendar day) so I’ve done an overnight before and only had to pay for one “day”
It’s a bit more cruise on the water but it’s a nice drive under both bridges etc. also quite a protected drive back if it blows up, you can always fish the Cap on the way back too. Cheers.

Great day out yesterday with good friends at SH, morning chop turned into a lake by the afternoon
Fished just north and out front of the mouth, in all depth to about 126ft mostly whites
Tagged out by 2ish, only 1 on a chovy none on hoochie but so impressed on my buddies hand painted spoons, gotta get some more!!

Attachments

• Resized_20230914_132537.jpg
    Resized_20230914_132537.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 177
  • 20230914_142858.jpg
    20230914_142858.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 179
Great day out yesterday with good friends at SH, morning chop turned into a lake by the afternoon
Fished just north and out front of the mouth, in all depth to about 126ft mostly whites
Tagged out by 2ish, only 1 on a chovy none on hoochie but so impressed on my buddies hand painted spoons, gotta get some more!!
So much fun yesterday out at the Sandheads Bud. My first time experiencing the shenanigans of the Sandheads. Pretty tame compared to what I have heard and expected. Thanks again for the invite, I look forward to our next fishing adventure.

Great morning out there today. Cruised past the T10 and saw a pod of Orcas so continued on to Sandheads. No action until I got a pink at 9am. Then got a nice 12 lb ‘nook on a skinny g at 120 on the DR. Had a few more bites before I had to go home at 10:30.
IMG_7505.jpeg

Attachments

• ACCE6ED4-B27B-49AB-9636-C14856ADEA55.jpeg
    ACCE6ED4-B27B-49AB-9636-C14856ADEA55.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_7513.jpeg
    IMG_7513.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_7514.jpeg
    IMG_7514.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 107
Fished 11-315 at sandheads. Hooked 8 pinks at all depths. They especially loved the small anchovy.
A little before 3 we lost a 20lb+ at the boat with my rookie buddy on the net getting a few cracks at it. 69' Always painful when it's slow and you don't make it count. Kept us going for a bit and he was definitely late for work with only pinks to show. Beautiful day!

T-10 today, weather was like Hawaii. Perfect temperature with a slight breeze. Two guests did all the fishing as I skippered. Three chinook 14, 16 1/2, and 22, two marbled and one red, plus three pink. One big wild coho released, hooked nose and feisty. Chinook were 50-57’, bait, and AP 3” herring spoon army truck colours with matching flasher.

Fished 11-315 at sandheads. Hooked 8 pinks at all depths. They especially loved the small anchovy.
A little before 3 we lost a 20lb+ at the boat with my rookie buddy on the net getting a few cracks at it. 69' Always painful when it's slow and you don't make it count. Kept us going for a bit and he was definitely late for work with only pinks to show. Beautiful day!
I never let a rookie anywhere near the net anymore. I still have this image burned in my head from a few years back at the hump in April pre-Turdo era when we could still fish there. Exhausted 20lb spring flopped on its side next to the boat in flat calm seas. Ask my green as grass buddy to net the fish. He gets the whole net under the fish and then doesn’t lift! WTF! I’m yelling “Lift” and he’s just hypnotized by this fish. Both motionless. Fish wakes up first and makes a fool of both of us!!! Funny how you remember the ones lost much more vividly than any fish brought home.

sorta had the same but he did lift but did not let go of the deep mesh and almost dislocated his shoulder by trying to lift in a 25 lb and i have a 6' long handle ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back