2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished Ambleside 1100-1500 today, picked up a 12 pound white, 11 pound red and two pinks. Both springs were caught off the pink apartments mid water column in around 120 feet of water.
What depth are you normally fishing in that area?

I'm kinda new at this and abit lost.
What depth should you typically fish for chinook ?
This time of year anywhere 50-100’ on the rigger and just send it. Helps to have a good sounder but if not, just giver.

We all have our magic numbers. Mine are 44, 53, 66, 74, 85, and 99. Don’t ask why lol.

Yep. 44 with a banana in hand. I like to live dangerously.
Haha... yeah my lucky numbers are 47, 55, 60,69,99.

But it really is nice to have a newer color sonar and see the actual salmon arches they you can place your rigger depths at the top depth of the arch for the highest majority of fish you are seeing. If you are seeing bait balls. I try to run through the bottom 1/4 depth of the bait ball to right below the bait ball.

Good luck. Easiest full proof method for chinook though out at sandheads is one at 50 and one at 70 feet.

Late report - was out T10 Wednesday. had wanted to try a spoon I inherited from grandfather. Put down a naked Chrome #7 Gibbs Stewart spoon to 120' depth, 5' above a Herring Aid flasher attached to the cannon ball. Less than 10 minutes and a landed a nice 67 marbled. (the marbling was more like a salmon colours core with whiter meat around the outside).

Got that netted, but the downrigger wouldn't run to retrieve the weight. :-( Strange, because I keep the gear well maintained. ??
After hand winding that 15 pound ball up 5 inchnes at a time I started looking for what was wrong. When I tilted the rigger up to look where the cable went into the bottom I saw that the machine had been folded down ON TOP OF the power cord. Stripping the wire jacket off at the compression we foung that the wires were not broken but had shorted. By carefully placing the rubber jacket that I had cut off, between the white & black, then wrapping with adhesive tape from the First AId kit we got the wiring ssecured. Next, we went to the lunchbox and got some aluminum foil off a chocolate cookie and folded a strip around the blown plug-in fuse. That got the rigger running again.
Sept 6 2023.jpg
Shortly after that McGuyver session we got a chubby 77 on a 5" Splatterback hoochie @ 105'.

Was pretty funny to watch a sail boat race go throw T10 with about 60 boats fishing it.

Passed by the chaos on our way to sandheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back