2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sandheads yesterday 10-2. Fished 55-75 in 200-300'. Tried to stay away from the pack and the seiners. 4 Chinook 10-19lbs. 3 whites and 1 red. 3 wild cohos released healthy. The 19 pounder was at 75', but was on the surface in 5 seconds passing my boat at 30knots on the surface. Thrilling fight. Not sure we deserved to get that one in. Just enough pinks to tap out. Spoons for us worked best.

Does anyone have a wind and wave report for Sandheads or T10 this morning? I'm in a tinny and readings are ambiguous. Thanks in advance.
Bookmark this page:

https://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=02&siteID=14305.

Then click on the weather conditions tab. You can pull up the current wind reading for Sandheads Lightstation (every hour on the hour) as well as English Bay Buoy, Georgia Straight Buoy and Entrance Island Lightstation. The Buoys will give you wave height at those locations and overall you'll get a pretty good picture of what the weather is currently doing. Wind direction and tides can have a big influence on Sandheads conditions.

Went out to Sandheads yesterday.. for a couple hours. Dropped the lines around 6 pm and the large herring rolling at 60 feet on a glow Rhys Davis herring holder got hit in a few minutes. Handed the Rod to my 9 year old Daughter and she got a work out. Runs and jumps... then Landed a 22 pound chinook. The other side had a skinny g at 70 feet and had no love so I switched it to a herring as well. Also stacked a second line with a white hootchie on top.

Trolled around and hooked a few pinks. Landed two pinks.

I was holding out for that last bit and the light and boats were fading. I think i was one of the last few out that i could see their lights on. Then bam the second herring was attacked. The fish went peeled line off and I called for back up from another daughter. Handed the rod off to my oldest. She put the gears to the fish. Since it was going home time I started pulling up all the gear. Then before i had the last rod up the flasher just pops up 30 feet behind the boat. So i drop the rod and head for the net. A small tangle on the net release and in the few seconds... she had it to the boat at the back and unfortunately as she pulled it up it took off and the leader when right through the prop... broke off 💔 😪 😢.

I don't need the fish, but man those last minute fish get your heart pumping.

That one was also at 60 feet.

Seems like the afternoon bite has been great! Get out there if you can.

Attachments

• received_879958716886033.jpeg
    received_879958716886033.jpeg
    307.2 KB · Views: 176
  • received_820402996398412.jpeg
    received_820402996398412.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 175
  • received_6606091459473205.jpeg
    received_6606091459473205.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 175
Fished T-10 solo from 10:30 - 11:30 this morning and got a pair of chinooks — 85 cm and 75 cm — as well as a pair of pinks.

IMG_7185.jpeg

Chinooks were both on anchovy, chartreuse flasher and teaser head at 75’. Pinks were both on a skinny G spoon at 50’.

IMG_7190.jpeg

Both chinooks were male whites. Lots of other nets out too so seemed like folks were getting into the fish pretty well.

Went out to Sandheads yesterday.. for a couple hours. Dropped the lines around 6 pm and the large herring rolling at 60 feet on a glow Rhys Davis herring holder got hit in a few minutes. Handed the Rod to my 9 year old Daughter and she got a work out. Runs and jumps... then Landed a 22 pound chinook. The other side had a skinny g at 70 feet and had no love so I switched it to a herring as well. Also stacked a second line with a white hootchie on top.

Trolled around and hooked a few pinks. Landed two pinks.

I was holding out for that last bit and the light and boats were fading. I think i was one of the last few out that i could see their lights on. Then bam the second herring was attacked. The fish went peeled line off and I called for back up from another daughter. Handed the rod off to my oldest. She put the gears to the fish. Since it was going home time I started pulling up all the gear. Then before i had the last rod up the flasher just pops up 30 feet behind the boat. So i drop the rod and head for the net. A small tangle on the net release and in the few seconds... she had it to the boat at the back and unfortunately as she pulled it up it took off and the leader when right through the prop... broke off 💔 😪 😢.

I don't need the fish, but man those last minute fish get your heart pumping.

That one was also at 60 feet.

Seems like the afternoon bite has been great! Get out there if you can.
I think I saw you hook that last one! Good times!

Fished SH sun up to 10am, 2nd or 3rd boat out, 1 23lb red, 1 18 marble and 2 12 whites, 3 on same spoon as I posted earlier and the 23lb on a green/white glow coyote spoon.

Bumpier than I thought it would be, couple 12ft tin boats that were one wave from sinking.. gave my bro in law an old scopalamine patch the night before and he was in awe, he could even look at his phone lol, anyone know where to get more? He even gets car sick on a twisty road..

Fished SH sun up to 10am, 2nd or 3rd boat out, 1 23lb red, 1 18 marble and 2 12 whites, 3 on same spoon as I posted earlier and the 23lb on a green/white glow coyote spoon.

Bumpier than I thought it would be, couple 12ft tin boats that were one wave from sinking.. gave my bro in law an old scopalamine patch the night before and he was in awe, he could even look at his phone lol, anyone know where to get more? He even gets car sick on a twisty road..
What's a scopalamine patch? I could use 'em too.

What's a scopalamine patch? I could use 'em too.
I just happened to be randomly talking to a pharmacist in the hospital a few weeks back and they told me that they have been discontinued in Canada for a couple years now. I was like NOOO... now my wife will never come fishing. My wife called around to a few pharmacies and pretty much nobody has any stock left. I know in the USA we used to get a prescription for her for similar patch. Scopolamine is an anticholinergic and works to control symptoms of motion sickness. Transdermal patch apply behind your ear night before fishing and lasts three days if it stays on. Might have to see if I can get some in the USA. Work great for those who get a little woozy out there.

I just happened to be randomly talking to a pharmacist in the hospital a few weeks back and they told me that they have been discontinued in Canada for a couple years now. I was like NOOO... now my wife will never come fishing. My wife called around to a few pharmacies and pretty much nobody has any stock left. I know in the USA we used to get a prescription for her for similar patch. Scopolamine is an anticholinergic and works to control symptoms of motion sickness. Transdermal patch apply behind your ear night before fishing and lasts three days if it stays on. Might have to see if I can get some in the USA. Work great for those who get a little woozy out there.
Looks like FishDoc came back to the forum just in time for his expertise 😉. Miss your posts. Cheers

Looks like FishDoc came back to the forum just in time for his expertise 😉. Miss your posts. Cheers
Thanks... yeah I actually ment to post a week ago. I went out to sandheads the prior Tuesday afternoon before the opener. Was supposed to be nice but some lightning was happening out on the straight that day. Only about 3 or 4 boats out there. We were just fishing for pinks with pink squirts and ended up catching a big wild coho, two chinook and hooked 5 pinks but only landed one. Amazing that those chinook bite those tiny pink hootchies on a short leader. Was too bouncy for the kids. Ate our one pink for dinner and it was excellent! 20230828_215015.jpg20230828_215539.jpg20230828_223213.jpg

Thanks... yeah I actually ment to post a week ago. I went out to sandheads the prior Tuesday afternoon before the opener. Was supposed to be nice but some lightning was happening out on the straight that day. Only about 3 or 4 boats out there. We were just fishing for pinks with pink squirts and ended up catching a big wild coho, two chinook and hooked 5 pinks but only landed one. Amazing that those chinook bite those tiny pink hootchies on a short leader. Was too bouncy for the kids. Ate our one pink for dinner and it was excellent! View attachment 97544View attachment 97545View attachment 97546
Fresh, ocean caught pinks are underrated. What’s the preparation there?

Fresh, ocean caught pinks are underrated. What’s the preparation there?
I just filleted the pink, then start it frying in butter lightly then dump in fresh onion, garden tomatoes, fresh crushed garlic with some salt pepper and herbs of choice. Let it Sautee a bit and done! Super flavorful and the fish is excellent too!

I also have a garden for the side dish creation. I think of it as my food forest.20230904_201201.jpg20230811_181235.jpg

We go down to the states to get Meclizine which is a generic anti nausea pill. Works really well for my wife who gets sea sick, and it’s non drowsy too. Used to be available in Canada as Bonamine, but it too was discontinued here.

We go down to the states to get Meclizine which is a generic anti nausea pill. Works really well for my wife who gets sea sick, and it’s non drowsy too. Used to be available in Canada as Bonamine, but it too was discontinued here.
Meclizine is the most effective one anc works pretty fast too. I used to get US clients to bring me some when it was discontinued in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back