2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished solo at SH today 9-1pm. Only 1 pink, 6 wild coho, one shaker spring and a19lb red pea head and an 20lb white. Both males. Everything on chovies. Red was at 70ft on the wire and the white was 50ft. Far away from the pack.

Attachments

• 20230906_161548.jpg
    20230906_161548.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
430-630 this evening at sandheads. First unsuccessful post today looks like. One pink and 2 other takedowns that didn’t stick. Fishing 40-100 ft with 4 rods and threw almost everything we had at them. Didn’t look like a ton of nets out. Back at it tomorrow and hopefully catch the bite.

Fished SH today. 7-3pm. Slow in morning, only 1, afternoon turned on, all on Skinny G. Getting beat up, still works good. Was down 75 ft on 300 fow. Biggest 25lbs. North of Lighthouse. Pretty well by ourselves.

Attachments

• 20230906_171300.jpg
    20230906_171300.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 175
  • 20230906_173928.jpg
    20230906_173928.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 178
Fishing cap solo just now whilst waiting for more crew and hooked a small spring rubbing the wall just west of the river mouth/green tower. On anchovie at 40’.
Picked up the relatives from Britain and tried the same thing at the cap mouth but nothing so burned over to the bell and all three guests played fish. All on anchovies around 80’. One just legal spring for the cooler, another good sized spring lost and a shaker spring after that. Fun for the short time they had.
Gonna try T-10 with more family on Sunday

Did a short shift at sandheads today 3 hours and went 2 for 5. Herring and spoons kept the pinks mostly off.

Lost an acrobatic chinook that came out of water about 5 times, crazy when you see an 15+ pound fish come clean out of the water that many times.

Hit t10 at 1 today and released a just under spring and lost another right away. The kid got sea sick and while she was puking, I hung up on a commercial trap. Luckily got everything back and took her back to the dock and went back out for 3pm. Started hitting fish right away at 60-75' on bait and a spoon and bonked two chinooks, so I switched to white hoochies and found two hatch coho. Done by 530 and also released half a dozen other chinook,they were everywhere and quite a few were good size feeders, not a single pink.
IMG_9536.jpeg

Bigger one was red, the other a marble feeder

Hit t10 at 1 today and released a just under spring and lost another right away. The kid got sea sick and while she was puking, I hung up on a commercial trap. Luckily got everything back and took her back to the dock and went back out for 3pm. Started hitting fish right away at 60-75' on bait and a spoon and bonked two chinooks, so I switched to white hoochies and found two hatch coho. Done by 530 and also released half a dozen other chinook,they were everywhere and quite a few were good size feeders, not a single pink.
View attachment 97515

the prudent thing to do was catch a chinook first, and send it home with her. 😘

Slower tonight out at SH. Fished 3-7 and only managed two pinks. Then 10 minutes before calling it, found a nice 20lb marble that wanted into my boat. So we obliged. Caught at 72' on the rigger with a white flash fly. Overall was still a great night on the water. Seiners were out in force though.

Did the late shift at Sandheads. Only got an hour or so in before sunset. Hooked a nice chinook on my shiny new Fishinator, 5" plug. I lost the fish in the netting process. My leader was too long and I couldn't get the fish closer. So it had a bit of extra time and I lost it. Darn.
Drove back up river in the dark.
And boy did it get dark quickly.

View attachment 97515

do we have marble feeders? Figured they were all reds.

Did the late shift at Sandheads. Only got an hour or so in before sunset. Hooked a nice chinook on my shiny new Fishinator, 5" plug. I lost the fish in the netting process. My leader was too long and I couldn't get the fish closer. So it had a bit of extra time and I lost it. Darn.
Navigating the river in the dark, my goodness that would be tense. I completely agree, this time of year the sunset curve just drops off the map, and it goes from light to dark in a matter of minutes.

We were taught to tie the plug to the main line, no terminal. Best Regards:)

We were taught to tie the plug to the main line, no terminal. Best Regards:)
I run a bead and bead chain so I can swap lures quickly. Inkeep leaders on my spoons too. Doesn't seem to affect the plug. But yes mainline attachment is often the norm.

Navigating the river in the dark, my goodness that would be tense. I completely agree, this time of year the sunset curve just drops off the map, and it goes from light to dark in a matter of minutes.
It was light......then dark.....like right now.....lesson learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back