2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find that most guides know the way an area should be fished , which is right rod gets the shoreline. At least that’s what I have seen first hand with the guides . It’s the one guy that goes out of that rotation that screws everyone up! A lot of Grady’s out there these days, might not be a guide doing it also
Im new to fishing and have been enjoying some great times with my son out in the boat. However im still learning so can you explain 'right rod gets the shoreline'? I know there are a lot of unspoken (or maybe loudly spoken) rules that people should know when fishing a busy area. I saw this first hand on a charter years ago fishing in front of the Cap. Thanks!

Im new to fishing and have been enjoying some great times with my son out in the boat. However im still learning so can you explain 'right rod gets the shoreline'? I know there are a lot of unspoken (or maybe loudly spoken) rules that people should know when fishing a busy area. I saw this first hand on a charter years ago fishing in front of the Cap. Thanks!

Using the Cap as an example; you don't troll north/south across the pack which is the BIGGEST no-no.

But when trolling east/west the boat with the right rod (starboard) to the shore takes the inside tack. So basically the boats trolling west with their right rod to the shore have the right of way on the inside tack. Those trolling east with their left rod to the shore should be on the outside and when they hit the closed area they tack to the inside putting their right rod to the shore.

Last edited:

Post 20 has the best explanation:

Got out early this morning from Rocky Point, was gonna fish the cap but it looked ok so I carried along the shoreline to Pt Atkinson. Got a little lumpy but fishable, wouldn’t have wanted to go around the corner that’s for sure. Got into a couple coho (one hatch) and a pink then dropped the gear down a bit more. 7am nice hit on one side, just as it started running pretty hard the other side hits too. As I go to reel down to pop that clip on 2nd rod, while still playing the first one, my rod holder breaks but luckily grabbed it in time, now I have 2 fish on & running, one in each hand. Managed to put #2 in another holder and played #1 as it felt a bit better. Ended up landing the first, quick measure at 78-79cm. Bonk. Grabbed the second rod now and fish still on (was running a couple times in the holder). Got it to the boat, kept in the water and released. Prob a 10-12lb, easy slot fish. 10 min of madness. White hoochie at 90’ bigger one, and herring at 80 on the second. 125’ water. Ended up taping out a 79cm and 17lb, a beauty red spring. Got a pic of #2 before release too. Apparently the pink and coho weren’t worthy of my time for a pic lol

Attachments

• 4AE4B1A7-0219-4674-9622-188D92E24D11.jpeg
    4AE4B1A7-0219-4674-9622-188D92E24D11.jpeg
    723 KB · Views: 132
  • DD834573-B25C-49B5-83BA-29D9392B66A5.jpeg
    DD834573-B25C-49B5-83BA-29D9392B66A5.jpeg
    535.1 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Fished 28-6, east of PA by the freighters. Nothing for a while and then switched to anchovies and lucked out 2 minutes later with a nice chinook. My cousin played it well and my wife netted it perfectly. If you zoom in you can probably see the lemon lime no bananas flasher and teaser head. A few pinks for the smoker as well. Great family time.

Attachments

• IMG_4446.jpeg
    IMG_4446.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_4447.jpeg
    IMG_4447.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 187
Wonder if those are the ones with auto tracking of bottom
yes they are, he's been using that set up for a very long time with the tracking riggers, if I remember correctly I think he has or had a sponsorship set up with canon. the 5th rigger is new to me though, lol.

I usually don’t fish if the wind is over 10kt. Planning to take some guests for fishing mostly for pinks on Saturday around Pt Atkinson so they can have some fun but the forecast calling for NW 10 to 20 kt for that day. If that stays true, how bad would think it’s going to be trolling around West Van shore?

I usually don’t fish if the wind is over 10kt. Planning to take some guests for fishing mostly for pinks on Saturday around Pt Atkinson so they can have some fun but the forecast calling for NW 10 to 20 kt for that day. If that stays true, how bad would think it’s going to be trolling around West Van shore?
You may find it easier to fish the flood in the afternoon. It’s never fun to be stuck between a big outgoing tide and the NW wind.

They have had the gale warning up for a few days now but it hasn't really materialized. It should hit at noon tomorrow, right when I push off for the run out haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back